Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

If you place a large order (particularly for Russian stuff ;)), Leo will most likely give you a nice discount... and he charges only £1 for shipping regardless of the order size and destination.

As for STN reviews of 'Golden Years..', these are the same ones that are on the Dan Warburton website.

I thought they might be the same. I'll explore the Leo website tomorrow. I've been too busy at work today to spend much time online. (which is probably how my employer prefers it. ;) )

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Made a run to Amoeba this afternoon a got a number of cds. One I thought interesting was e_a.sonata.02 by Urs Leimgruber, Gunter Muller & ARTE Quartet. Has a lot of processed drums, ipod, etc., but still, interesting music. Just one piece, recorded at the Theatre La Fourmie in Lucerne, with the music having a very ambient tone to the thing. If anyone is interested in the combination of eltronica + jazz sensibility, this is worth checking out.

Made a run to Amoeba this afternoon a got a number of cds. One I thought interesting was e_a.sonata.02 by Urs Leimgruber, Gunter Muller & ARTE Quartet. Has a lot of processed drums, ipod, etc., but still, interesting music. Just one piece, recorded at the Theatre La Fourmie in Lucerne, with the music having a very ambient tone to the thing. If anyone is interested in the combination of eltronica + jazz sensibility, this is worth checking out.

Hey, that's cool - when I was playing with the big band of one of the two Zurich universities, we played at La Fourmie, too!

Don't know that disc, though.

I will check the stuff with Terry Riley again, and try to squeeze in a listen to the Feigenwinter/Arte disc soon. It's this one here:

http://www.swissdisc.ch/d/archive/archive_...62&uebersicht=4 (sorry, german only - David, this site might be one to check, I did not do yet, though)

It's released on this label: http://www.altrisuoni.com/

And here you have some information in english: http://www.altrisuoni.com/catalog.php?code=as110

And here's the other one I mentioned yesterday:

http://www.altrisuoni.com/catalog.php?code=as140

ubu

... e_a.sonata.02 by Urs Leimgruber, Gunter Muller & ARTE Quartet.

What label is it on - for 4 ears?

Yes, that was the label. I've always found interesting the move to incorporate electronics and jazz. Looks like this label is a good place to start, here's their WEB SITE, if anyone is interested.

Also able to listen to two others: Theo Jorgensmann Quartet: Snijbloeman (Hatology) which I liked upon the first listen. It is a rather subduded recording, and the artist that stood out for me was Christopher Dell on vibes. Dell was really locked in with the drummer, Klaus Kugel; a lot a of great interaction between the two of them. This cd won't blow anyone out of the water, but it's a keeper. The other disk that I listened to is The Transcendentalists: Real Time Messengers with Daniel Carter, Steve Swell, Tom Abbs, and David Brandt (CIMP#264). A ton of great blowing, with Steve Swell especially being in great form. In fact, it sounded to me that Swell is the person everyone is playing off of, he just seemed to be holding the center together. About Daniel Carter: I love him on William Parker's Painter's Spring, but here, I don't feel his playing makes as strong of an impact as it should. I'll have to spin it a few more times and concentrate on him, but overall, a nice effort from everyone.

Edit: Klaus Kugel is the drummer, don't know why I said bass, my brain must have froze on me.

Edited by Matthew

Does anybody know or can describe the trio record Tern w/ Louis Moholo and Keith Tippet on FMP? thx

This is a phenomenal record. Larry Stabbins was a major revelation for me (influences of Steve Lacy and Evan Parker are there, but overall a original and powerful voice). Tippett and Moholo are in top form and really gel well with each other, and the music is very diverse (from some subtle melodic playing to really intense blowing). It's available pretty cheap from Atavistic website.

Guest Chaney

CAT'S MEOW JAZZ & BLUES

Found a used copy of the Vienna Art Orchestra's Suite For The Green Eighties for $9.95 at the above site. Also picked up a new copy of Brotzmann's solo outing, Nothing To Say (FMP CD73) for $16.95.

Cat's Meow has listings for both new and used vinyl and CDs. Might want to check the used listing for that CD you've been searching for. (NOT Rara Avis, though. :( )

sorry for the mildly commercial interruption, but I'm happy to sell my copy of Rara Avis, and I don't feel like dealing with Ebay. so if you're looking for this, other Clusone Trio OOP CDs, other OOP Hat Art CDs, other OOP Euro free improv CDs, send me an e-mail (erstrecs@aol.com), and make me a FAIR offer, and I'll see what I can do. I've got a pretty good collection (CDs, not vinyl), much of which I'm happy to sell, as my musical interests have largely moved on.

Guest Chaney

Hey Jon,

Personally, I don'd mind your offer at all but unless you're willing to put a price on what you're offering, I'd rather not (basically) bid against an Org member. (I'm fairly certain that my Russian friend could trounce me in the bidding department. :winky: )

Much better with the first come, first served manner of selling, I feel. That way, I arrive late (as now! off visiting me Mum, good son that I am), lose out but feel good ( <_< ) as there was nothing I could do.

I haven't sold anything yet, I've gotten a few queries from you guys. I don't have the time to go through and list everything I'm interested in selling, or to research fair market prices for them, maybe I'll try to get to that this summer after my Cologne/Berlin festival is over.

I have quite a few of the Hat Art CD series, and I usually sell the long OOP ones for $50 plus shipping, that seems fair to me, less than what I'd get on Ebay, and a reasonable price for a highly desired, long OOP disc. if that's too much, that's fine, I don't need to sell these, I was just trying to help after seeing a bunch of references here to much desired, hard-to-find CDs.

Guest Chaney

...I was just trying to help after seeing a bunch of references here to much desired, hard-to-find CDs.

Very much appreciated.

$50 for an OOP title is too rich for my blood - but not for some. (Suite For The Green Eighties that I mentioned getting above for $9.95 last sold on eBay for around $50.)

...I was just trying to help after seeing a bunch of references here to much desired, hard-to-find CDs.

Very much appreciated.

$50 for an OOP title is too rich for my blood - but not for some. (Suite For The Green Eighties that I mentioned getting above for $9.95 last sold on eBay for around $50.)

Too rich for my blood, too.

Why are Hat Huts so expensive? Somebody, please tell me.

Because they're hard to get and sought after by fans, and hardly anyone seems to know hat hut's Werner Uehlinger plans to reissue many - if not most - of them on his hatOLOGY imprint.

All in all I am really impressed by both discs!

OK, I'll bring you some more.

If this got you interested in Russian / Soviet improv, I would encourage you to check out Golden Years of Soviet New Jazz series on Leo Records (at the bottom of the page here: http://www.leorecords.com/?m=catalogue&id=CD_GY). These are limited editions (500 copies), and they are pretty cheap ($46 per 4-CD set).

The music is highly original (and diverse) and probably better displays the unique "Russian" approach to improvisational music (the CDs I sent you are a bit more in the "European" vein)

are there any volumes in this series I should start with over the others, in your opinion?

welcome jon abbey! I won't be getting to it before the weekend but I'll be placing a new order from Erstwhile on Monday. I'm really looking forward to hearing the new Keith Rowe / Fennesz disc.

Price discovery:

I bid my usual insane $40 for the scarce Jump Up, offer came back at $50 incl. mailing. I won't do it (I have heard it will be re-issued in '05), but I appreciate the chance, thanks Jon. Any McPhee's there?

I was lucky to find this one new, for around 25$ in some store here in Zurich! Found it just after I ordered the Lyons box - but all of this needs many more hours of (concentrated) listening here!

Listened to disc 2 of the Leo Smith Kabell box tonight, impressed!

Now listening to a CDR a friend of mine made for me with the MP3s of the Julian Priester ECM record that was linked on some other thread. Cool! (But maybe not for the "Funny Rat", but then, we did discuss some stuff that is beyond any classification, anyway)

ubu

welcome jon abbey! I won't be getting to it before the weekend but I'll be placing a new order from Erstwhile on Monday. I'm really looking forward to hearing the new Keith Rowe / Fennesz disc.

hey, John, thanks, I'm not sure how much time I'll spend here, but I'll pop by periodically to see if the discussion/s have moved towards areas I'm interested in.

BTW, nice avatar! I'm down to less than 5 of those here before it goes OOP, at least for a while, although I'm sure there are more than a few floating around distributors/stores.

BTW, nice avatar! I'm down to less than 5 of those here before it goes OOP, at least for a while, although I'm sure there are more than a few floating around distributors/stores.

What's that disc? I know it was discussed here before, but I can't remember if that was on page 27 or page 51 of this thread ;)

ubu

What's that disc? I know it was discussed here before, but I can't remember if that was on page 27 or page 51 of this thread ;)

ubu

I think it's Günter Müller/Lê Quan Ninh - La Voyelle Liquide - erstwhile 010

Really enjoying the Leo Records stuff that's landing on emusic.com. The two Cecil Taylors are wonderful, both Leroy Jenkins and Carlos Ward fit in well for my taste and edge Cecil toward lyricism. So far I'm liking Evan Parker's Needles better than 50th Birthday Concert, but much more listening to do. And the Sun Ra Disney disk is an absolute hoot.

ubu

I think it's Günter Müller/Lê Quan Ninh - La Voyelle Liquide - erstwhile 010

yes, that's correct. press release, sound samples, and some reviews on this page:

http://www.erstwhilerecords.com/catalog/010.asp