Stan Getz - The Complete Roost Recordings pulled from Amazon

Just a heads up, this now OOP set has been pulled from active sale on Amazon, with only used copies left. As far as I know, this is one of the only titles from the 2008 BN deletions to be fully eliminated from retail sale up to this point. So if you'd like a copy before the used prices spike (which can't be long now...) I'd go for it, whether it's through Amazon or some other site.

Just a heads up, this now OOP set has been pulled from active sale on Amazon, with only used copies left. As far as I know, this is one of the only titles from the 2008 BN deletions to be fully eliminated from retail sale up to this point. So if you'd like a copy before the used prices spike (which can't be long now...) I'd go for it, whether it's through Amazon or some other site.

Too bad, it's a really great little box set. May be my favorite Getz overall, and that's really saying something.

Don't forget Al Haig! Those very first titles with him are glorious!

And Duke Jordan is much better than his reputation, methinks...

The set further includes the "Moonlight in Vermont" dates with Johnny Smith, and a three-tunes live session where Getz is guest soloist with Basie's early New Testament band (1953).

Don't forget Al Haig! Those very first titles with him are glorious!

And Duke Jordan is much better than his reputation, methinks...

The set further includes the "Moonlight in Vermont" dates with Johnny Smith, and a three-tunes live session where Getz is guest soloist with Basie's early New Testament band (1953).

Yea, I was only listing some of the highlights. I actually really love the 3 tunes with Basie, wish there was some more.

"And Duke Jordan is much better than his reputation, methinks"

does Duke Jordan have a bad rep? that's news to me, not saying it is not true, but to me he is one of the giants of the piano, with a wonderful lyrical style. In the short time I knew him I realized, unfortunately, that he was a difficult guy, but he could still play. As a matter of fact, he told me how he and Bill Evans used to go to a studio to play duets (wish I could have been a fly on the wall for that one) -

does Duke Jordan have a bad rep? that's news to me, not saying it is not true, but to me he is one of the giants of the piano, with a wonderful lyrical style. In the short time I knew him I realized, unfortunately, that he was a difficult guy, but he could still play. As a matter of fact, he told me how he and Bill Evans used to go to a studio to play duets (wish I could have been a fly on the wall for that one) -

I agree, what I'm referring to is what I read about Parker dates and Parker being pissed about Jordan not being a reader and sometimes playing unfitting stuff (in Parker's opinion). I think that's what I read in the liner notes to the Savoy 5LP box (those notes are reprinted in the Savoy/Dial 8CD set). It's that lyrical tough of his that's great, definitely!

This week, I played that Steeplechase disc of his with Chuck Wayne, Sam Jones and Roy Haynes, "Misty Thursday" - his touch there is great, maybe a littler harder but his lines and his sound is so clear-cut, really marvellous!

I agree, what I'm referring to is what I read about Parker dates and Parker being pissed about Jordan not being a reader and sometimes playing unfitting stuff (in Parker's opinion). I think that's what I read in the liner notes to the Savoy 5LP box (those notes are reprinted in the Savoy/Dial 8CD set)....

In addition, Miles Davis's autobiography had some highly (I mean, really harsh) uncomplimentary remarks re. Jordan and his time with Parker. Didn't help the reputation at all. Jordan was really bitter about it (there's a retaliatory remark by him on Miles buried in some old threads here).

• 5 months later...