MLB 2009 Season

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well when I last checked ESPN's site the magic number for the WFC was 9. Now this morning it's 10. Some quick detective work show that ESPN forgot that the Braves were still playing - they won - so it stays at 10. That means the Phils are 7.5 up w/ 17 to play. So if they are to collapse they would equal the historic Mets collapse of 2007. Yikes. The next 6 games are brutal all on the road - 3 in Atlanta followed by 3 in Florida

If it hadn't come at the end of a nice streak of success coupled with Texas falling away, I'd still be fucking pissed about the way the Red Sox fucked away last night's game. Its as if Varitek knows that the Red Sox are through with him and want V-Mart to be the primary catcher next year, and he doesn't give a fuck anymore.

Well then we agree they really had to sweep to have a shot.

Yes we do.

Now the Giants have little control over where they end up. Rockies get the Dodgers on the end and the Giants have their shot at them this weekend. But unless they sweep [which is doubtful] and the Rockies tank, the season is done.

It was a good run, but they just blew their chances this last week.

Grrrrr!!!! :angry:

Edited by GoodSpeak

Well when I last checked ESPN's site the magic number for the WFC was 9. Now this morning it's 10. Some quick detective work show that ESPN forgot that the Braves were still playing - they won - so it stays at 10. That means the Phils are 7.5 up w/ 17 to play. So if they are to collapse they would equal the historic Mets collapse of 2007. Yikes. The next 6 games are brutal all on the road - 3 in Atlanta followed by 3 in Florida

yeah, look out bitches, the braves are on a roll! :rolleyes: Hey, Big Al, think your team is screwed up...the braves were swept by an injury riddled Reds team, then somehow swept the cards. They have won 6 in a row. But, I have a feeling the Phils will bring them down to earth. And Tim Hudson doesn't exactly scare hitters these days....

Been traveling so much the past two weeks, I only had time to come to the Org and wish Dan happy birthday (your welcome). Anyway, the Mariners get closer to their magic number -- .500, with a great win last night, Felix was on and they come up with two runs in the bottom of the ninth of Rivera. The only down side was that I was stuck in the Portland airport last night for three hours waiting for my plane, and what does Gustav's have on tv the whole time? A STUPID COLLEGE FOOTBALL GAME! :bad: Now that sucks, big time! The Black Bear Stout though, was really good.

Edited by Matthew

Interesting bit in the Globe this morning - when the deal for Billy Wagner went down, the big thing seemed to be that the Red Sox accept that he can't pitch back-to-back days, maybe two out of three but never back-to-back, because he is still rehabbing his elbow and he doesn't want to jeapordize his next contract.

Now, he's actually told the Red Sox he can and wants to pitch back-to-back, and they've told him that's great but we don't want to do that. Part of it is Wagner's desire to get a sense of consistency and the other is, after his bad game a few days ago, wanting to get the bad taste out of his mouth with a good game.

Now you have to wonder if they're intent is to take Wagner up on his offer when the playoffs come around. Wagner pitching back-to-back days could have a major effect, particularly against the Yankees in the ALCS and Tito has certainly shown a willingness to manage differently in October.

Well there's the end of the "Joba's been pitching better lately" talk. And who does play-by-play for the M's on TV? I had the MLB.TV running and Jesus, the guy sounded as if a win in this game would clinch the playoffs. :rolleyes: Of course it was Junior, and I have to admit I was surprised he got around on a 93 mph heater on the inner half of the plate. With the jet stream in the Bronx, that one might have been out of the New Stadium entirely. :P

So let's presume that the M's will hold on to a 7-0 lead. The Yankee lead would shrink to 4 in the loss column, with the streaking Sox going to KC for 4 and the Yankees heading to Anaheim for three. Is it not reasonable to presume that the loss column deficit could be cut by one (Yankees lose two of three, Sox lose one of four)? That would put them three games back with three to play in the Bronx starting Friday night. An interesting position to be after all that's taken place this season.

Normally the Sox don't worry about wild card vs division, they just want to be in and have started resting players once its accomplished or virtually settled. But it seems to me the Yanks really want this division championship. Might be interesting if the Yankees play the regulars more than they wanted to just to ensure the division in the final week. Of course, this could be avoided if the Yankees sweep the Halos and don't get swept in the Bronx. But they've definitely not played as well lately as they were playing, while the Red Sox have really put it all together lately.

Well there's the end of the "Joba's been pitching better lately" talk. And who does play-by-play for the M's on TV? I had the MLB.TV running and Jesus, the guy sounded as if a win in this game would clinch the playoffs. :rolleyes: Of course it was Junior, and I have to admit I was surprised he got around on a 93 mph heater on the inner half of the plate. With the jet stream in the Bronx, that one might have been out of the New Stadium entirely. :P

So let's presume that the M's will hold on to a 7-0 lead. The Yankee lead would shrink to 4 in the loss column, with the streaking Sox going to KC for 4 and the Yankees heading to Anaheim for three. Is it not reasonable to presume that the loss column deficit could be cut by one (Yankees lose two of three, Sox lose one of four)? That would put them three games back with three to play in the Bronx starting Friday night. An interesting position to be after all that's taken place this season.

Normally the Sox don't worry about wild card vs division, they just want to be in and have started resting players once its accomplished or virtually settled. But it seems to me the Yanks really want this division championship. Might be interesting if the Yankees play the regulars more than they wanted to just to ensure the division in the final week. Of course, this could be avoided if the Yankees sweep the Halos and don't get swept in the Bronx. But they've definitely not played as well lately as they were playing, while the Red Sox have really put it all together lately.

Dave Niehaus is the announcer; local legend, HofFer, all that kind of stuff. He really got excited when the Mariners blasted and owned the Red Sox this year. :P .500 for Seattle this year is something to get excited about, it's been a very enjoyable year for Mariner fans.

Edited by Matthew

He'll never put on a Cub uniform again, and I pity whatever team trades for him.

Hendry has made a lot of stupid decisions as Cub GM, I can only hope he makes a trade of bad contract for bad contract and gets lucky with whoever he picks up (maybe Vernon Wells? One of the worst contracts, would go well with Soriano and Zambrano, but he's still young and might regain some of his old form with a change of scenery. Plus he's got his own opt-out clause after 2011 - if he hates the NL, maybe he takes advantage of it.)

Dave Niehaus is the announcer; local legend, HofFer, all that kind of stuff. He really got excited when the Mariners blasted and owned the Red Sox this year. :P .500 for Seattle this year is something to get excited about, it's been a very enjoyable year for Mariner fans.

Nothing more to add other than repeat for emphasis. He's been here since the team began. It's 1995 all over again, Griffey safe at home on Edgrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr's! hit against THE YANKEES in the inaugural divisional playoff series all over again (oops, pardon the redundancy.) Btw, think he smokes? ;)

Edited by Quincy

Milton Bradley suspended for the rest of season

He'll never put on a Cub uniform again, and I pity whatever team trades for him.

Hendry has made a lot of stupid decisions as Cub GM, I can only hope he makes a trade of bad contract for bad contract and gets lucky with whoever he picks up (maybe Vernon Wells? One of the worst contracts, would go well with Soriano and Zambrano, but he's still young and might regain some of his old form with a change of scenery. Plus he's got his own opt-out clause after 2011 - if he hates the NL, maybe he takes advantage of it.)

No one is surprised this didn't work out for the Cubs, Bradley is one of those players who function much better in a low-key environment, e.g., Oakland & San Diego. Nice article that sums up the Bradley situation on ESPNChicago.

It sounds like it isn't just the "high-pressure" but maybe more of it is simply the combination of a large media contingent and a small clubhouse built in the early part of the last century.

But the deal wasn't bad just because of his substantial psychological issues but because of how rarely he's stayed healthy and sane for a full season in his entire career.

I got a great blast from the past this morning, courtesy of my brother.

The date is May 2nd, 1976. Graig Nettles has just blindsided Bill Lee. Little did we know how it would effect Lee or the Red Sox, but I was plenty ticked off.

I always wanted a copy of this pic, and now I have it. Maybe I'll add it to my signature. :g

post-42-1253555321_thumb.jpg

OK, does anyone else think that the Giants, by common understanding of this term by baseball fans everywhere, "control their own fate" or is it understood among everyone not named Goodspeak that unless you

A. have more games against the team you are chasing than number of games you are behind

OR

B. are in the lead for a playoff spot

that you don't control your fate?

Oh fer crissakes...is everything a competition with you, Dan?

So, the only way to "control your fate" is when you are in the lead. Nice.

Tell that to the 1964 Phillies or the 1969 Cubs or the 1978 Red Sox or the 1995 Angels or my personal favorite: The 1951 Dodgers.

And I quote:

The Dodgers rank No. 1 on this list [of MLB collapses] because no other team can combine such a profound collapse in a pennant race with a profound collapse in a deciding game. That game, of course, was made famous by Bobby Thomson's "Shot Heard Round the World", which was preceded by the Dodgers holding a 4-1 lead to start the bottom of the ninth inning. Under those circumstances the Giants could only be expected to win 1.8 percent of the time. To have come back from a 50-to-1 shot after coming back from a 400-1 shot -- and the Giants had to put the pedal to the floor to do it, going 37-7 to close out the regular season and force the playoff -- was very special.

source: Dan, you're wrong.

THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT!!! THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT!!! THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT!!! THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT!!! THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT!!!

And they're going CRAZY!!!!!

Yeah...that stuff never happens huh, Dan. :rolleyes:

....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz