No Now is So

Alexander Hawkins

I'm pleased to say I have a new one...it's on FMR Records - FMRCD270-0209.

This is my sextet, featuring Orphy Robinson, steel pan; Otto Fischer, guitar; Hannah Marshall, 'cello; Dominic Lash, double bass; Javier Carmona, drums; and myself on piano.

Mostly original compositions, but some free improvisations, and two 'covers': Wadada Leo Smith's 'Nuru Light' and Sun Ra's 'Love in Outer Space'.

You can listen to one of the originals (Cowley Road Strut) and the Sun Ra here.

I'm not entirely sure how to post an image, but I'm delighted with the artwork, featuring photographs by my brother...anyway, the front cover is on show here and here.

I hope to post reviews here as and when they arrive.

I'm not sure when these will arrive 'online', but I hope to have my copies tomorrow, and of course if anybody would like a copy now, I'd be delighted to send one. They're going for £10 or $15 each. Please PM me if interested! I'll do the P+P for free.

I also still have some copies of The Convergence Quartet's first album available (info here, reviews here), so for a short while if anyone's interested, I'd be happy to do both for £16/$24.

Cheers!

Alex

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really kind - hope you enjoy it :)

Both discs sound excellent if very different. I've played "No now is so" all the way thru but I'm still listening to "Convergence".

The interesting line up of instruments on "No..." doesn't disappoint. Both benefit from being played loud. :excited:

Really kind - hope you enjoy it :)

Both discs sound excellent if very different. I've played "No now is so" all the way thru but I'm still listening to "Convergence".

The interesting line up of instruments on "No..." doesn't disappoint. Both benefit from being played loud. :excited:

The first time I heard Orphy play steel pan, he was actually playing standards...but interesting things, including 'Little B's Poem', 'Gazzelloni' etc...this was what made me think what an amazing tone colour could be outside the traditional calypso-type setting! Pretty scary in many ways seeing him tear through a tune like the Dolphy actually on just the single pan! There's also a really nice pan player actually with Courtney Pine's 'Afropeans' band at the moment...name escapes me...Samuel Dubois perhaps?

This is a GREAT cd!!!!!

:excited:

I have been enjoying this all morning! The combination of alex's piano, the steel pan and the strings is incredible!

some people think that creative/improvised music is inaccessable - NOT TRUE HERE!!!

I heartily recommend this cd for anybody that loves good music!!

:tup:tup:tup

Thank you SO much - I really appreciate the kind words - it means a lot!

Just got mine. Can't wait to crack it open.

Thanks Alex, will keep you posted on the review front.

Hey Clifford - glad it got there - hope you like it!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...