Beatles Remasters coming! 09/09/09

Aggie87

actually that music hall thing is in a lot of McCartney - Good Day Sunshine, When I'm 64, more if I had time to look -

What I found really interesting about the music hall influence is that it did not come to the forefront until Rubber Soul onward, after RS, there was an explosion of different musical influences shooting out all over the place, not the least of which was this looking backward to the music hall.

I was going to say that the Kinks were probably instrumental in bringing the music hall out in the Beatles...

The popular histories show the Beatles as being in competition with the Stones and the Beach Boys. While I've never heard proof, I suspect that they had their ears glued to every Kinks release, both 45 and LP.

well, McCartney always had that lighter side to him, I think, even singing things like Red Sails in the Sunset and Til There was You, so I'm not sure he needed an external influence. Problem was that once the Beatles broke up he didn't have Lennon anymore to wring the sentimentality out of him - and Lennon didn't have McCartney anymore to wring the Yoko out of him -

well, McCartney always had that lighter side to him, I think, even singing things like Red Sails in the Sunset and Til There was You, so I'm not sure he needed an external influence. Problem was that once the Beatles broke up he didn't have Lennon anymore to wring the sentimentality out of him - and Lennon didn't have McCartney anymore to wring the Yoko out of him -

Well said. To my ears both McCartney and Lennon's post-Beatles output was "not great" at best, to put it mildly :)

The Beatles were the typical whole will be greater than each individual part.

Couldn't agree more.

+1 Very much in agreement.

And I think that the remasters, bringing Ringo's drumming out more prominently, underscore this point even more than previous pressing of their studio albums.

Anybody remember when Bono declared in Rattle & Hum that U2 was "more of a band" than the Beatles? I suppose it depends on how he defines "more" but however you want to look at it the Beatles came together and meshed in a way that was pretty remarkable.

I forgot which author it was (maybe Lewishohn), but I recall someone mentioning how their (Lenon-McCartney) different styles and desire to write great songs not only fueled competition which often led to excellence, but also worked to perfectly counterbalance one another. Of course we have the obvious aforementioned juxtaposition of side A (Lennon) and side B (McCartney) of Abbey Road, but also even within a particular song you can see this counterpoint coming across: take "Getting Better" as an example.

It appears to be primarily Paul's song or at least he sings lead, doing justice as only Paul can to the optimistic message that underpins the tune. But then there is the critic / cynic of Lennon('s voice) interspersed in the chorus throughout.

Paul: "I have to admit its getting, a little better all the time"

John: "It can't get no worse"

Edited by Norm

Couldn't agree more.

If the Beatles decided that they could sell more records as the Beatles instead of as solo artists in 1970, just from the best songs off the solo albums & singles from 1970 (some might be from 71) you would have pretty good Beatles record. Something like:

Side 1:

Mother

It Don't Come Easy

Another Day

Maybe I'm Amazed

My Sweet Lord

Working Class Hero

Side 2:

Instant Karma

Beware of Darkness

Every Night

All Things Must Pass

Awaiting On You All

Junk

God

Edited by WorldB3

Quote from a friend: "If the Beatles are an inch, the Kinks are a micron".

My friend told me that Beatles fans tend to be UPS drivers with beer guts who wear leather jackets and concert t-shirts on the weekends.

Is it the same friend?

I do not think that such people would even know the word "micron".

Me? I'm an Ivy League graduate! How about you?

I was going to say that the Kinks were probably instrumental in bringing the music hall out in the Beatles...

The popular histories show the Beatles as being in competition with the Stones and the Beach Boys. While I've never heard proof, I suspect that they had their ears glued to every Kinks release, both 45 and LP.

I grew up in a house were the Kinks were in rotation daily. If my dad had a good buzz going he would go off on how those bums Brain Wislon, Lennon/McCartney and Jagger/Richards couldn't hold a candle to Ray Davies.

Couldn't agree more.

And I think that the remasters, bringing Ringo's drumming out more prominently, underscore this point even more than previous pressing of their studio albums.

Anybody remember when Bono declared in Rattle & Hum that U2 was "more of a band" than the Beatles? I suppose it depends on how he defines "more" but however you want to look at it the Beatles came together and meshed in a way that was pretty remarkable.

I forgot which author it was (maybe Lewishohn), but I recall someone mentioning how their (Lenon-McCartney) differentstyles and desire to write great songs not only fueled competition which often led to excellence, but also worked

to perfectly counterbalance one another. Of course we have the obvious aforementioned juxtaposition of side A (Lennon) and side B (McCartney) of Abbey Road, but also even within a particular song you can see this counterpoint coming across: take "Getting Better" as an example.

It appears to be primarily Paul's song or at least he sings lead, doing justice as only Paul can to the optimistic message that underpins the tune. But then there is the critic / cynic of Lennon('s voice) interspersed in the chorus throughout.

Yea but the song also includes this excruciating lyric , "I used to be cruel to my woman

I beat her and kept her apart from the things that she loved".

I think the whole McCartney needed Lennon for edginess needs to be revisited it's vastly overrated. Mostly I think this has been perpetuated by Lennon himself in a lot of his post Beatle interviews just being a punk and making reference to Paul's granny music.

Surely he didn't feel that way when Paul composed the music for 'In My Life' and other various songs that Lennon couldn't finish because he didn't have some of the gifts musically that McCartney brought to the table.

Couldn't agree more.

I forgot which author it was (maybe Lewishohn), but I recall someone mentioning how their (Lenon-McCartney) differentstyles and desire to write great songs not only fueled competition which often led to excellence, but also worked

to perfectly counterbalance one another. Of course we have the obvious aforementioned juxtaposition of side A (Lennon) and side B (McCartney) of Abbey Road, but also even within a particular song you can see this counterpoint coming across: take "Getting Better" as an example.

Yea but the song also includes this excruciating lyric , "I used to be cruel to my woman

I think the whole McCartney needed Lennon for edginess needs to be revisited it's vastly overrated. Mostly I think this has been perpetuated by Lennon himself in a lot of his post Beatle interviews just being a punk and making reference to Paul's granny music.

Surely he didn't feel that way when Paul composed the music for 'In My Life' and other various songs that Lennon couldn't finish because he didn't have some of the gifts musically that McCartney brought to the table.

Well, I just returned from the library with a copy of Ian Macdonald's Revolution in the Head in hand. With regard to the song "Getting Better," Macdonald suggests that the aforementioned reference to cruelty to woman is indeed John's contribution:

p. 242

"Having prepared the music, McCartney invited his partner [Lennon] to his house in St. John's Wood to write the lyric with him -- hence the allusions to angry youth, problems at school, and woman-beating (not to mention the typically sarcastic rejoinder to the title phrase: 'It can't get much worse.'1

1. The pre-LSD Lennon had been cruel to women: 'I couldn't express myself, and I hit.' During the session on 21st March, he got his supply of pills confused and found himself tripping while trying to sing backing vocals. Considering the subject-matter of the song and the fact that the drug tends to confront its users with their personal contradictions, this must have been a disturbing experience. (McCartney is said to have taken his shaken friend back to his house in St. John's Wood and 'turned on' to keep him company."

Edited by Norm

Couldn't agree more.

Well, I just returned from the library with a copy of Ian Macdonald's Revolution in the Head in hand. With regard to the song "Getting Better," Macdonald suggests that the aforementioned reference to cruelty to woman is indeed John's contribution:

p. 242

"Having prepared the music, McCartney invited his partner [Lennon] to his house in St. John's Wood to write the lyric with him -- hence the allusions to angry youth, problems at school, and woman-beating (not to mention the typically sarcastic rejoinder to the title phrase: 'It can't get much worse.'1

1. The pre-LSD Lennon had been cruel to women: 'I couldn't express myself, and I hit.' During the session on 21st March, he got his supply of pills confused and found himself tripping while trying to sing backing vocals. Considering the subject-matter of the song and the fact that the drug tends to confront its users with their personal contradictions, this must have been a disturbing experience. (McCartney is said to have taken his shaken friend back to his house in St. John's Wood and 'turned on' to keep him company."

Really? Lennon was a wife beater, did he hit Cynthia? was this well known I never knew this.

what does he mean the pre-LSD so after he dabbled in drugs he became more passive towards women?..I still think it's an awkward moment in the song and every time I hear it it just sounds out of place maybe also because I know it's primarily a Macca song.

I found this on Wikipedia ;....I never heard of this before is this stuff well documented in the Beatle Biographies?

Lennon's jealousy could manifest itself in violent behavior towards her, as when he slapped her (Cynthia) across the face (hitting her head against the wall) the day after he saw her dancing with Stuart Sutcliffe

Edited by zen archer

Couldn't agree more.

If the Beatles decided that they could sell more records as the Beatles instead of as solo artists in 1970, just from the best songs off the solo albums & singles from 1970 (some might be from 71) you would have pretty good Beatles record. Something like:

Side 1:

Mother

It Don't Come Easy

Another Day

Maybe I'm Amazed

My Sweet Lord

Working Class Hero

Side 2:

Instant Karma

Beware of Darkness

Every Night

All Things Must Pass