Beatles Remasters coming! 09/09/09

Aggie87

Thanks Dave, that's tempting. I wasn't going to get the stereo box since I've already got the mono, but that price is very attractive.

I don't have a Borders anywhere near me though, but if I ordered it on their website it comes to $170 shipped (though it's backordered 4-8 wks). Still not a bad deal!

The mono of the White Album freaked me out. I have never heard a mono of it before as I grew up with the stereo vinyl, its a completely different beast in mono. The guitars have a more dirty distorted sound, different effects on the vocals and double tracking. I am hearing a lot of stuff that was never put on the stereo release.

The rockers are more down and dirty but at times I am missing the wide expanse of the tunes in stereo and some of the songs really need that.

While I am over the moon with the new stereo of the White Album I am really glad I got to experience the mono. It's more of a hard hitting "hot mess" in mono where the stereo just feels more like a brilliant over reach.

Like Peppers its another one where you need to hear both.

Working my way through the mono box, up to Revolver. Help stands out for me; while the mono sounds nice, the stereo seems to explode at you. I couldn't believe it. On the other hand, I much prefer the mono Rubber Soul. Hadn't listened to Hard Days Night in god knows I don't know when so that was a real treat hearing it again. Same for Beatles For Sale. The writing on a couple of the songs is vapid in Help but in this album it's as if the Beatles, John particularly, is talking to you, not just making a record if you know what I mean (unlike the first two albums).

Edited by Brad

Include me as one of the six too. I've loved the 2nd side of Yellow Submarine since I bought the original vinyl years ago (the remaster sounds great!!).

Thanks Big Al for letting me get that off my chest -- I've kept it in for all these years!!! :excited:

I'm waffling on the Mono box....I can sell a Mosaic I guess...

Just going off one mono cd, but I was not blown away by the improvement. I'm going to have to wait and listen to the monos a lot more.

Play these a little louder than you normally play your CDs (unless you're listening through headphones - I don't want to be responsible for hearing damage.) Someone(s) suggested this much earlier in the thread and it'll help with the "oomph."

Not sure this belongs here but I received an email from The Beatles/EMI to the following effect:

Give Peace a Chance.

Purchase the digital single of Plastic Ono Band's "Give Peace a Chance" now through December 31 on iTunes and help support the United Nations Peacebuilding Fund.

Yoko Ono, Sean Lennon, Julian Lennon, EMI and Sony/ATV Music Publishing will donate all net proceeds from the sale of the classic song to help this great cause.

The writing on a couple of the songs is vapid in Help but in this album it's as if the Beatles, John particularly, is talking to you, not just making a record if you know what I mean (unlike the first two albums).

This is a great observation. Before getting the box, I thought of Rubber Soul as the transitional album. But these listenings have convinced me Help! prefigures important changes to come. Here, they seem to have one foot in their musical past and one foot in the future (not aware of what that future is of course). Its already been mentioned in this thread what a revelation "Ticket to Ride" is. But also on the title song, "Help!", there's an authenticity and heft to the music and lyric that distinguishes it from much of their earlier material. One other track produced during this time but not included on Help!, "Yes it is" (it was a single, included on the first Mono Masters disc with an alternative version on Anthology 2) deserves attention as well. Its not a typical love song a la 1962-63 Beatles. There's an urgency, something burning not only in Lenon's lyric but in the way he sings the song that seems to set it apart from earlier ballads.

I've long been fascinated by this transition. MacDonald does an excellent job of putting these developments in the context of competition with other groups in the fast-changing musical world of 1965: groups like The Who, The Kinks, The Rolling Stones (and even the Beach Boys) were coming up with heavier stuff and thus reproducing the old pop sound ad nauseum seemed increasingly less desirable. And of course there was the relationship with Bob Dylan borne of their meeting in August 1964, which no doubt served as an inspiration in songwriting (at least for John). As trite as it may sound, I think we can't discount early experiences with drugs as a contributing factor (one of many) in bringing them out of the mold of Beatlemania Beatles. Of course we've all heard the story of Bob Dylan introducing them to pot in a NY hotel room in August 1964 and John's and George's experiences after having their coffee spiked with LSD in Jan/Feb 1965, the latter coinciding roughly with the early recording stages of Help!. MacDonald also recounts an interesting meeting in which John, George and Ringo took LSD with two members of The Byrds at a residence the Beatles were renting in Bel Air, Los Angeles during their summer tour of the U.S. in August 1965, and how they were transfixed by David Crosby's playing of the sitar. We don't want to overemphasize the role of drugs, of course, but these experiences do seem to have served as a catalyst for loosening adherence to convention and transitioning to an introspective stance, a heavier sound, and a greater proportion of songs / lyrics rooted in personal expression rather than audience expectations.

Edited by Norm

^ True but you could even go back to For Sale with Im Loser, big leap lyrically from "From Me To You".

Even on Hard Days Night you have lyrics like on I'll Cry Instead "I've got a chip on my shoulder that's bigger than my feet" and on If I Fell In Love has the following evil revenge verse at the end:

And that she will cry

When she learns we are two

'cause I couldn't stand the pain

And I would be sad if our new love was in vain

We can't tell you if we have a secret handshake 'cause you're not one of US!!!

...but we have openings in our "Yellow Submarine Second Sider" Society... ;)

c'mon you know you want to join us! :lol:

Plus, if we told you, we'd either have to kill you or bore you to death with repeated listenings of side two! Your choice!!! ;):lol:

Edited by Big Al

We can't tell you if we have a secret handshake 'cause you're not one of US!!!

...but we have openings in our "Yellow Submarine Second Sider" Society... ;)

c'mon you know you want to join us! :lol:

Plus, if we told you, we'd either have to kill you or bore you to death with repeated listenings of side two! Your choice!!! ;):lol:

Gaaaaaah!!!!

the-simpsons--homer-scream.jpg