Stanley Cowell

connoisseur series500

Everytime I listen to a recording with Stanley Cowell, I remind myself that I should explore his work further. I never got around to doing it.

The man originally hailed from Toledo too (right?) how could I have ignored him for so long?

He's terrific on Clifford Jordan's "Glass Bead Games" and I recall that I love one of his compositions called "equipoise," which he plays on Heath Brothers, "Expressions of Life." It's an astonishingly beautiful composition.

I don't own any of his sessions as a leader, but I've got several cds where he particpates; can't remember them at the moment, but I've always been impressed.

What do you guys think?

I don't have enough of his work. I really enjoy his contributions to Bobby Hutcherson's PATTERNS album, Cowell's dark voicings add a lot and there's his lyrical composition "Effi" too.

The only date I have of his as a leader is CLOSE TO YOU ALONE (DIW). It's good but frankly I was a bit disappointed, it lacks a certain spark. I'd be interested to see what others say about the best places to start with hearing Cowell as a leader.

Definitely look into his work with Charles Tolliver. "Live at Slugs" and "The Ringer" are the best of the group.

He's also Max Roach's "Members, Don't Git Weary", which features Tolliver as well as Gary Bartz, Jymie Merritt and a vocal performance by Andy Bey. This album has both "Equipoise" and "Effi" on it. A must-have.

There's a album he did for Galaxy in 1979 called "Equipoise", but I don't believe it has ever been released on CD. It's a great trio session with Cecil McBee and Roy Haynes, though.

Finally - if you're not sick of "Equipoise" by now - there's a Larry Coryell album on Muse (also probably not on CD) called................"Equipose". Engineered in 1985 by RVG, it is a great quartet date with Stanley, Billy Hart and Buster Williams.

I can't believe Rooster hasn't posted here! I know he'd recommend this one too, with the reservation that the recording quality isn't great, but it contains some great music. Brilliant Circles w/Woody Shaw (!) Tyrone Washington (!) Bobby Hutcherson, Reggie Workman and Joe Chambers. NYC, Sept. 1969.

Needless to say, it does not suck! :)

I don't know of its availability, however.

I can't believe Rooster hasn't posted here! I know he'd recommend this one too, with the reservation that the recording quality isn't great, but it contains some great music. Brilliant Circles w/Woody Shaw (!) Tyrone Washington (!) Bobby Hutcherson, Reggie Workman and Joe Chambers. NYC, Sept. 1969.

Needless to say, it does not suck! :)

I don't know of its availability, however.

Black Lion released a CD of this but I suspect that it is now OOP..

Flat recording quality but mighty fine music contained therein ! B)

Free For All beat me to it -- but "Brilliant Circles" (on Black Lion) is, indeed, brilliant!!! Sound-quality is so-so, but the music is fantastic, and not to be missed!!!

Cowell's other release on Black Lion is also a keeper - called "Travellin' Man" when it was released on CD, it was originally called "Blues for the Viet Cong" (although I suspect it was later released on LP with the "Travellin' Man" imprint too). Whatever you call it - it's a trio disc, and is VERY good!! (Both of the Black Lion titles are from 1969.)

"Musa" is an excellent solo-piano album (on Strata East, from 1973), which can often be had for only $7 from Dusty Groove (although they're currently out of stock).

"Live At Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 5" is also an excellent solo-piano outing, and here's one for $7 (CLICK).

"Marian McPartland's 'Piano Jazz' With Stanley Cowell" is also available on CD, and is quite good, and the interview parts are pretty interesting. (It's a straight release of her one-hour radio-show, including solo-piano from Cowell, one or two duets, and interview segments between the tunes.)

And Max Roach's "Members Don't Get Weary" from 1968 features Cowell, Tolliver, and Gary Bartz - and includes three well-known Cowell tunes ('Abstrutions', 'Effi', and 'Equipiose'), and is on CD as of last year.

Also, a work of caution about Cowell's 1995 CD "Setup" (on SteepleChase). It's very 'so-so' at best, and really doesn't come together all that well. The trombonist (Dick Griffin) sounds second-rate (or like he was having a bad day) with tons of intonation problems. And while I normally like both Eddie Henderson and Rick Margitza (both of whom are on this date) - neither one sounds particularly 'on'. Avoid "Setup" if you can, or I'll be glad to sell you mine quite cheap.

PS: Has anybody here ever heard Jack DeJohnett's "The DeJohnette Complex" from 1968??? - which has Cowell, along with Bennie Maupin. I've never heard it, but it looks great on paper!! (With another 'Equipoise'!!)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

PS: Has anybody here ever heard Jack DeJohnett's "The DeJohnette Complex" from 1968??? - which has Cowell, along with Bennie Maupin. I've never heard it, but it looks great on paper!! (With another 'Equipoise'!!)

Yes, heard it on a library copy some years ago but I'm afraid the charms of hearing 'Miles Mode' played on melodica didn't work with me. Must give it another listen sometime though and re-assess.

I'll second that recommendation for the Maybeck. Cowell's contribution to this series is also one of the best.

Has someone else than me thought of the fact that Cowell more frequently than most other pianists does not solo when appearing as a sideman? A great pity since he's such a fine soloist. I can think of several recordings under Hutcherson, Stan Getz, J.J. Johnson and others where Cowell does not take a solo on every track.

I'm not saying that everyone in a band should solo on every tune, but it appears that Cowell chooses not to solo more often than I want him to!

How about also the trio album 'Illusion Suite', an early 70s session (I think) put out on ECM, at least on LP. Really like the track 'Cal Massey' on this one. Also features a young and acoustic Stanley Clarke .. :tup

This is available on cd, I have it. :tup

How about also the trio album 'Illusion Suite', an early 70s session (I think) put out on ECM, at least on LP. Really like the track 'Cal Massey' on this one. Also features a young and acoustic Stanley Clarke ..  :tup

This is available on cd, I have it. :tup

Would you please post details? Japanese? I thought they'd never do that on CD!!!

This and the solo piano Musa/Ancestral Streams are my favourites, but I like em all, and second any recommendation in this thread.

e75015pbej0.jpg

There was an album by Arthur Blythe around 1978/9 titled 'In the Tradition'. I doubt that it's available on cd, but if you happen to come across it, grab it. Along with Blythe & Cowell are Fred Hopkins & Steve McCall, and they cover Jitterbug Waltz, Naima, One Mint Julep, etc. Cowell plays very well on this date, and his rhythm buddies push the music strongly. This is one of those dates that cries out for reissue on cd, but will Columbia ever do it?

I had this but couldn't bear the sound: Blythe wanted a "hard cut" for it as with the popular soul music of the time, and this made it sound harsh, overly bright, although the playing of all involved was good. I hope they remedy this on a Legacy CD reissue - if there will be one, which I doubt.

Stanley has some discs on Steeplechase too. I've heard at least two -- titles escape me and I'm not at home right now. But both were superb. Good luck finding them.

Let me also second the recommendation for "Back to the Beautiful" on Concord. I really like the Concord records that don't sound like Concord records.

I forgot about IN THE TRADITION, that is a good album. More likely we'd see it reissued by Koch Jazz (since they've already done a couple of his other great Columbia albums), although come to think of it haven't seen much action from them lately - are they still doing reissues?