Piano grunting thread

mjzee

In honor of the recent Keith Jarrett thread (in which we fought back and won!), this thread is to detail other famous, beloved pianists who do a lot of grunting as they pound, tickle, or caress the ivories.

I'm listening now to "Shiny Stockings" by Earl Hines, from Live In Orange. Some mighty impressive grunting here, as well as much singing along with the notes and assents ("Uh huh!"). A lot of fun. Anybody else have favorites?

300x300.jpg

In the past, I've made no bones about my reaction to grunters. At best, it's a distracting habit and, at worst, incredibly selfish. It makes me wonder how the grunters among us rationalize their behavior, which leads me to a question. Why do they do this? Is it an honest affectation, a sign of really getting into what one is doing or is it some sort of copy cat behavior, an homage to those who they respect as musicians, i.e. does Jarrett grunt because Bud Powell grunted? Or does he writhe around the keyboard like he's having some sort of petite mal seizure because Monk did the same sort of thing? Or is this like women's tennis in a post-Monica Seles world where if you're not grunting, you're not giving it your absolute best? Is there any record of anyone actually asking Jarrett or any of his ilk why they do what they do, or would someone who is in a position to ask this question not do so in deference to their respect for a particular musician, or, in the case of Jarrett, in deference to their own well being? Assuming the question has actually been asked and answered, the logical follow-up would be how they feel this plays with those who have to listen to and tolerate their warbling.

Enquiring minds want to know.

Up over and out.

In the past, I've made no bones about my reaction to grunters. At best, it's a distracting habit and, at worst, incredibly selfish. It makes me wonder how the grunters among us rationalize their behavior, which leads me to a question. Why do they do this? Is it an honest affectation, a sign of really getting into what one is doing or is it some sort of copy cat behavior, an homage to those who they respect as musicians, i.e. does Jarrett grunt because Bud Powell grunted? Or does he writhe around the keyboard like he's having some sort of petite mal seizure because Monk did the same sort of thing? Or is this like women's tennis in a post-Monica Seles world where if you're not grunting, you're not giving it your absolute best? Is there any record of anyone actually asking Jarrett or any of his ilk why they do what they do, or would someone who is in a position to ask this question not do so in deference to their respect for a particular musician, or, in the case of Jarrett, in deference to their own well being? Assuming the question has actually been asked and answered, the logical follow-up would be how they feel this plays with those who have to listen to and tolerate their warbling.

Up over and out.

Zappa expressed thoughts similar to yours on "Make a Jazz Noise Here", although his were more succinct.

Up over and out.

Zappa expressed thoughts similar to yours on "Make a Jazz Noise Here", although his were more succinct.

David appears to be disgruntled.

Up over and out.

David appears to be disgruntled.

Why is it we use the word "disgruntled" but we never hear about anybody being "gruntled"?

disgruntled

One entry found.

Main Entry:

dis·grun·tle Listen to the pronunciation of disgruntle

Pronunciation:

\dis-ˈgrən-təl\

Function:

transitive verb

Inflected Form(s):

dis·grun·tled; dis·grun·tling Listen to the pronunciation of disgruntling \-ˈgrənt-liŋ, -ˈgrən-təl-iŋ\

Etymology:

dis- + gruntle to grumble, from Middle English gruntlen, frequentative of grunten to grunt

Date:

• 4 weeks later...