*** Cecil Taylor ***

Aggie87

From Richard Shapiro's Cecil Taylor sessionography

http://www.efi.group.shef.ac.uk/mtaylors.html

The Village Gate, NYC, September 19, 1965

1. Number One

2. Octagonal Skirt and Fancy Pants

Cecil Taylor: piano; Jimmy Lyons: alto sax; prob. Henry Grimes: bass; Sunny Murray: drums

Rare Broadcast Performances Ozone (Italy) 19 (lp)

Note: This was originally recorded for BBS tv broadcast by WNET-TV, NYC. the original material was broadcast followed by a panel discussion involving CT, novelist Ralph Ellison and critic Martin Williams. The taping from this original broadcast is some 29 min. long. These are believed to be rehearsals, not concert performances.

Note: Some sources give the drummer as Andrew Cyrille. Some give the bassist as Alan Silva.

Note: The rest of this record features music by Charles Mingus.

Do you know where to find that panel discussion? on that Italian LP? Interesting mix of characters there.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the information. Now it's apparent that this is listed in the Henry Grimes discography:

Date: September 10, 1965 [note date difference]

Label: [television broadcast]

Cecil Taylor (ldr), Jimmy Lyons (as), Cecil Taylor (p), Henry Grimes (b), Andrew Cyrille (d)

a. 01 Number One (Cecil Taylor)

b. 02 Octagonal Skirt And Fancy Pants (Cecil Taylor)

Both titles on: Ozone LP 12" [note label difference]

Jimmy Lyons (as) on b; Henry Grimes (b) on b.

This was not a live performance. Broadcast by WNET-TV as part of the series "The Arts In America." Material also exists on video. Incorrectly listed in some sources as January 18, 1966 at the Half Note.

• 1 year later...

Incredible sessions. Though "free," there is still a hell of a lot of bebop going on in these dates. I have the Dutch Fontanas of both and the artwork is similar.

I mean, if you don't have them already, I'd get these CDs with the cool artwork - even if they're pricey. Sound quality is probably comparable to the Revenant set.

Edited by clifford_thornton

There were short silent tracks, I think, but I never heard about anything being defective!

It's all there, the Revenant has 12 tracks!

I think the story went something like: they had the covers printed already, but then found two more titles, and tagged them to the end of the discs with a pause track. Also I think they mixed up something about titles (though there are none given on the CD - maybe it's just AMG that has them mixed up... a search here would help, it was all discussed several years back)

November 23, 1962

Cafe Montmartre, Copenhagen, Denmark

CECIL TAYLOR TRIO

Cecil Taylor(p), Jimmy Lyons(as), Sunny Murray(dr)

1. Trance (8:54)

2. Call (8:48)

3. Lena (6:42)

4. D Trad, That's What (21:18)

5. What's New (12:06)

6. Nefertiti, the Beautiful One Has Come (9:42)

7. Lena (second version) (13:45) INC

8. Nefertiti, The Beautiful One Has Come (8:06)

9. Call, 2nd version (6:24)

10. D Trad, That's What, 2nd version.

(Untitled Sample) (20:03)

Total time (116:36)

1 – 10. Revenant 202, "Nefertiti, The Beautiful One

Has Come", (2CD)

1 - 10. Freedom TKCB-70310 J, "Live At The Cafe Montmartre", (2CD)

1 - 8. Arista Freedom, AL-1905, "Nefertiti, The Beauriful One Has

Come", (2LP)

1 - 4. Freedom 28 422-4 U, "Innovations", (LP)

1 – 4. Debut DEB 138, (LP)

1 – 4. Fantasy LPS8-6014, (LP)

1 – 4. Fontana 688602ZL, (LP)

1 – 4. Fontana SFJL928, (LP)

1 – 4. Freedom FLP40106, "Innovations", (LP)

1 – 4. Polydor 2383-094, "Innovations", (LP)

1 – 4,9.Black Lion BLCD 760220, "Trance", CD)

5 - 8. Debut DEB148, "Nefertiti, The Beauitful One Has Come", (LP)

5 – 8. Fontana 688609ZL, „Nefertiti, The Beautiful One Has Come", (LP)

5 – 8. Freedom 28487-7U, „What's New", (LP)

5 – 8. Freddom FLP41005, "What's New", (LP)

Notes: On Revenant 202, there are 2 empty tracks.

Sunny Murray as Arthur Murray on Freedom TKCB-70310

Primary Source: Info from Jan Ström

source: http://www.webmutations.com/ceciltaylor/1962.html

Incredible sessions. Though "free," there is still a hell of a lot of bebop going on in these dates. I have the Dutch Fontanas of both and the artwork is similar.

I mean, if you don't have them already, I'd get these CDs with the cool artwork - even if they're pricey. Sound quality is probably comparable to the Revenant set.

Thanks, I have had the Nefertiti set on Revenant for some time, and was wondering if the Montmartre set was of the same classic quality.

Edited by jostber

Thanks, I have had the Nefertiti set on Revenant for some time, and was wondering if the Montmartre set was of the same classic quality.

It's the same... there's only one (details in my previous post).

In addition, there's one track with Albert Ayler added on the Revenant Ayler-Box.

I'd like to have the extra tracks, just for completist's sake. But spending $30 for 26 minutes of music... well, guess I've done it before!

You already have all the music on both of the Debut LPs / SAWANO CD's then. No need to buy unless you can't live without that artwork.

• 11 months later...

A couple of items of interest for Cecil Taylorites:

>

New CT site (as of February, '11): http://www.ceciltaylor-art.com

>

Cecil Taylor residency at Le Poisson Rouge (formerly the Village Gate) in NYC this coming June:

http://lepoissonrouge.com/events/search?q=cecil

four Tuesdays in June

"poetry, solo piano, and many surprise guests"

Edited by musicmargaret

A couple of items of interest for Cecil Taylorites:

>

New CT site (as of February, '11): http://www.ceciltaylor-art.com

>

Cecil Taylor residency at Le Poisson Rouge (formerly the Village Gate) in NYC this coming June:

http://lepoissonrouge.com/events/search?q=cecil

four Tuesdays in June

"poetry, solo piano, and many surprise guests"

Great news about the Le Poisson Rouge dates and thank you for posting the link to the revised C.T. web site.

I've always thought I should like Cecil Taylor and I've tried alot of the stuff mentioned in this thread. The only thing that has worked for me is the Feel Trio. I think it is because of Tony Oxley. To me, he really compliments Taylor perfectly.

Maybe I can find the duo album mentioned on the previous page. At least if I don't have to give up an arm or leg.

I've always thought I should like Cecil Taylor and I've tried alot of the stuff mentioned in this thread. The only thing that has worked for me is the Feel Trio. I think it is because of Tony Oxley. To me, he really compliments Taylor perfectly.

Maybe I can find the duo album mentioned on the previous page. At least if I don't have to give up an arm or leg.

There's a CD titled 'Leaf Palm Hand' of them that is not very expensive and it's also very good. I think Jazzloft and the usual suspects have it. Amazon has it for $12.43:

http://www.amazon.com/Leaf-Palm-Cecil-Taylor-Oxley/dp/B00119UA9A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1304530249&sr=8-2

Edited by PHILLYQ

There's a CD titled 'Leaf Palm Hand' of them that is not very expensive and it's also very good. I think Jazzloft and the usual suspects have it. Amazon has it for $12.43:

http://www.amazon.com/Leaf-Palm-Cecil-Taylor-Oxley/dp/B00119UA9A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1304530249&sr=8-2

Thanks for the info.