*** Cecil Taylor ***

Aggie87

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know we're not linking boots/etc. so I won't do that here, but I am curious if anyone' s heard the 1971 Town Hall solo concert that's recently been put out on CD. Saw a used copy and was curious if it's worth picking up (therefore avoiding paying the bootleggers) or if the sound is abominable.

The sound is bad, but fighting through it I heard some motifs in his playing that I wasn't familiar with, so I think it's worth the plunge.

Found a cheap copy soon after it came out.

Everything about the CD was cheap, except the music!

• 1 year later...

That's a restaurant in Cape Town?

Or not?

Please enlighten me!

Fly! Fly! Fly! Fly! Fly! = 5 Flies

:tophat::crazy:

Apparently it is a real restaurant, however. I'm not sure I'd want to use flies to help advertise a food service venue though. ph34r.gif

It is (or was?) a restaurant in Amsterdam, Netherlands. I was a dishwasher there in 1968.

I think he's just referring to the physicality of Mr. Taylor's playing, which must be draining at 84.

Exactly. Sorry I wasn't clearer. Beside his playing....you really have to marvel at it all. One of those I will road trip/fly to anything I can,

Oh, okay - I thought you meant something like he was in decline or some other negative thing. Glad it's the other way 'round!

I only had one chance to see him live so far - in duo with Tony Oxley -, travelled quite a bit, too (including a stay overnight), and it was more than worth it!

I think he's just referring to the physicality of Mr. Taylor's playing, which must be draining at 84.

Exactly. Sorry I wasn't clearer. Beside his playing....you really have to marvel at it all. One of those I will road trip/fly to anything I can,

Oh, okay - I thought you meant something like he was in decline

In that sense like Sonny Rollins, Ornette Coleman, and Roscoe Mitchell....each year they're performing less.

Catch them when you can.

Edited by Blue Train

Oh, I do! Rollins I missed once, but caught him another time, saw Mitchell in a very strong solo performance once, but never yet Ornette - no one willing to pay his fees in rich Switzerland, I guess. Okay, obviously those locations where he'd fit aren't rich at all ... and the high-brow places that do book Rollins have no use for Ornette's - or Taylor's - music, alas.

• 4 weeks later...

That's a restaurant in Cape Town?

Or not?

Please enlighten me!

Fly! Fly! Fly! Fly! Fly! = 5 Flies

:tophat::crazy:

Apparently it is a real restaurant, however. I'm not sure I'd want to use flies to help advertise a food service venue though. ph34r.gif

It is (or was?) a restaurant in Amsterdam, Netherlands. I was a dishwasher there in 1968.

Kewl! I was a dishwasher too — my first real job as a music school dropout.

post-282-0-57285200-1373949686_thumb.jpg

But, getting back to Fly! Fly! Fly! Fly! Fly! ... I finally picked up the new remaster. Incredible sound, and the music is wonderful. It's a Taylor record that even Taylor-haters could get into (I think). For Taylor fans, it's like being wrapped in velvet (with drink-of-choice in hand). I purchased my copy directly from importcds.