• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a restaurant in Cape Town?

Or not?

Please enlighten me!

Fly! Fly! Fly! Fly! Fly! = 5 Flies

:tophat::crazy:

Apparently it is a real restaurant, however. I'm not sure I'd want to use flies to help advertise a food service venue though. ph34r.gif

It is (or was?) a restaurant in Amsterdam, Netherlands. I was a dishwasher there in 1968.

Kewl! I was a dishwasher too — my first real job as a music school dropout.

attachicon.giffly.jpg

But, getting back to Fly! Fly! Fly! Fly! Fly! ... I finally picked up the new remaster. Incredible sound, and the music is wonderful. It's a Taylor record that even Taylor-haters could get into (I think). For Taylor fans, it's like being wrapped in velvet (with drink-of-choice in hand). I purchased my copy directly from importcds.

According to Four Lives in the Bebop Business, Cecil was a dishwasher at one time.

That's a restaurant in Cape Town?

Or not?

Please enlighten me!

Fly! Fly! Fly! Fly! Fly! = 5 Flies

:tophat::crazy:

Apparently it is a real restaurant, however. I'm not sure I'd want to use flies to help advertise a food service venue though. ph34r.gif

It is (or was?) a restaurant in Amsterdam, Netherlands. I was a dishwasher there in 1968.

Kewl! I was a dishwasher too — my first real job as a music school dropout.

attachicon.giffly.jpg

But, getting back to Fly! Fly! Fly! Fly! Fly! ... I finally picked up the new remaster. Incredible sound, and the music is wonderful. It's a Taylor record that even Taylor-haters could get into (I think). For Taylor fans, it's like being wrapped in velvet (with drink-of-choice in hand). I purchased my copy directly from importcds.

According to Four Lives in the Bebop Business, Cecil was a dishwasher at one time.

He was a dishwasher when Downbeat named him best new pianist of the year. He was also @ one time a cook and sold records.

Edited by Blue Train

• 1 month later...

I guess it went under in the "what live music" thread ... but for the reason of very bad arthritis, Taylor had to cancel both his concerts in Sant'Anna Arresi and in Willisau -- they got Braxton in Willisau and as I've bought a ticket in advance, I'll probably go ... but damn this is very, very sad news.

I must admit I´m not a Taylor expert. And it seems to be the same problem in Austria. The big festivals are to much into cross-over acts and the others maybe can´t afford him, I´ll never know.

But I´d like to get some opinions about his two BN-record. I first got "Unit Structures" wich I dig, but I find it´s easier to listen to this than to "Conquistador". Can it be possible, that "Unic Structures" is more accessible than "Conquistador" ?

Not sure, but yeah ... maybe.

If you want accessible (comparatively, that is) Taylor, look for "Love for Sale" or "Jazz Advance" or "The World of Cecil Taylor" and go from there.

I was lucky to catch him in duo with Tony Oxley a few years back, but I'd have absolutely loved to see him again!

Willisau is still pretty much okay as a festival, I think ... but the main thing is people like Taylor or Ornette are much too expensive for those festivals where their music would actually fit in (there are two of these in Zurich alone) - and I'm not complaining, these giants are entitled to do whatever they wish.

Hm, I think US is one of the densest, most complex and difficult albums I've ever heard. I find Conquistador to be thrillingly musical and quite listenable ...

As far as the later, more intensely free stuff, I think The Eighth and Winged Serpent are both good listens with some very calm and beautiful passages.

But I´d like to get some opinions about his two BN-record. I first got "Unit Structures" wich I dig, but I find it´s easier to listen to this than to "Conquistador". Can it be possible, that "Unic Structures" is more accessible than "Conquistador" ?

For me, it is just the opposite. I enjoy Conquistador very much, and find it to be a much easier listen than Unit Structures. After all these years, I have still yet to warm to Unit Structures.

Both great and very different from one another.

Keep in mind that Bill Dixon adds an entirely different cast to the proceedings, and this date was just a couple of days before he began recording the landmark Intents and Purposes for RCA. Dixon had suggested to Taylor that he use Mike Mantler on trumpet instead, but Cecil was adamant about their collaboration.

Like every genre. It depends on what the person I am recommending to is already listening too.

Most accessible would Jazz Advance, Looking Ahead, Love for Sale. He still hasn't gone completely "Cecil Taylor" and there are cover songs.

Oh, he's Cecil through and through on those records. He hadn't met Sunny Murray yet and the rhythmic conception wasn't where it would be, but the improvisational arcs and purity of conception are 100% CT.

I think that the Marian McPartland interview that's recently resurfaced in the share blogs is worth hearing, especially if one is new to the world of Cecil Taylor.

Like every genre. It depends on what the person I am recommending to is already listening too.

Most accessible would Jazz Advance, Looking Ahead, Love for Sale. He still hasn't gone completely "Cecil Taylor" and there are cover songs.

Oh, he's Cecil through and through on those records. He hadn't met Sunny Murray yet and the rhythmic conception wasn't where it would be, but the improvisational arcs and purity of conception are 100% CT.

It doesn't seem to me to be as much a rhythmic change as one concerning harmony and melody. Pre-Sunny Murray, Cecil was still working largely around the jazz tradition in that regard, although in a very expansive way. The break was quite radical.

• 3 weeks later...