Live from Small's

Haven't seen this posted yet:

Small's in New York has created a remarkable new website with what appears to be hundreds of hours of archived sets recorded at the club, with a searchable data base by musician. So, for instance, the other night I listened to half am evening from last year led by tenor saxophonist Grant Stewart with organissimo board member Michael Weiss in the rhythm section. http://www.smallsjazzclub.com/index.cfm?it...=0&banner=a

The club also is broadcasting live video. Right now it's just past 11 p.m. Eastern on Thursday and you can watch a Brian Lynch Sextet including Vincent Herring. http://www.smallsjazzclub.com/index.cfm?it...=0&banner=a

One warning. For some reason, the audio did not play on my work computer but does play on both computers at home. Must be a software issue, but I can't explain it and there's nothing on the site that helps.

Edited by Mark Stryker

Very cool - would be great when they get the Freddie Redd sets up, in the meantime the first ones I want to hear are the Tadd Schull sets. I really enjoy his Criss Cross albums, so this will be a treat to hear something "new" from him.

Mark, thanks again for posting this. I'd like to suggest that you edit your title or subtitle to include "post your favorites" or something like that. There's such a wealth of live jazz here, it would be great to have this thread as a reference if people come back and post about especially good shows they heard.

Anyone else planning to run their favorite audio recording program so you can burn CDRs after? I know I am. I get the feed over the "stereo aux" channel in Goldwave. Only problem is that channel seems to pick up a bit of a hum, from the drive or the fan, so the stronger the signal, the better the result I get. Small's isn't as strong a signal as, say, the Wolfgang Vault but its definitely good enough.

So just curious; did the artists who played there know they were being recorded and the recordings would someday become public?

There is a section in the introduction that invites artists to opt out if they choose. The first random musician I selected had apparently taken them up on the offer. There was writeup on the fellow, but no music.

So just curious; did the artists who played there know they were being recorded and the recordings would someday become public?

There is a section in the introduction that invites artists to opt out if they choose. The first random musician I selected had apparently taken them up on the offer. There was writeup on the fellow, but no music.

Cool! I think it's a great idea, just wondering if the artists had any say.

well... i just got finished listening to this gig:

Kevin Hays Trio!!!

just remarkable. i'm kinda freaked out right now. like i stumbled on a new element or something. haven't felt as excited about checking out someone's work since i got hooked on Rosenwinkel many years ago. i'll be buying as much Kevin Hays as i can afford (not much :( )

in the context of this Smalls date, the Jarrett influence is rather obvious but not overpowering or obsequious. and for me he's got something else going on that draws me in even more (the band! but something else beyond words also...). he also reminds me a bit of Richie Beirach in that he seems to have a lot of modern classical harmonic references in his playing. this music strikes me as very very deep. the 1st tune in the 1st set is Parker's "Cheryl" and they absolutely kill. masterful blues deconstruction. this blues and the couple of standards they play are like Hays's own personal magic hats and he's got an endless supply of rabbits he can pull out of them at a moment's notice. i can't place what the 4th tune in the 1st set is. if anyone can tell me what it is it'd be much appreciated. i feel that it's on the tip of my mind but can't pin it down. and the "Days Of Wine And Roses" that ends the 2nd set is wonderful.

for those preferring a visual to accompany the sound, here's the clip that first made me sit up and say, "Whoa. this Hays is worth spending time on getting to know.":

Hays W/ Potter Quartet

this clip is definitely burning but the Smalls set is really something else. don't miss it.

thanks again to whoever started this thread!!! :tup:tup:tup

Hays posts here (or has in the past). He's on Bill Stewart's album Keynote Speakers with Larry Goldings. Just the three of them. Great record.

cool Jim. thanks for the rec. i'll be checking it out.

and that's cool that Kevin may post here occasionally. i'd assume that anyone who can play piano the way he does would also be able to write some worthwhile posts! ;) but that's never a lock...

Kevin Hays Trio!!!

just remarkable. i'm kinda freaked out right now. like i stumbled on a new element or something. haven't felt as excited about checking out someone's work since i got hooked on Rosenwinkel many years ago. i'll be buying as much Kevin Hays as i can afford (not much :( )

Listening to Hays now. Very nice. :tup

Edited by papsrus

Kevin Hays Trio!!!

in the context of this Smalls date, the Jarrett influence is rather obvious but not overpowering or obsequious. and for me he's got something else going on that draws me in even more (the band! but something else beyond words also...). he also reminds me a bit of Richie Beirach in that he seems to have a lot of modern classical harmonic references in his playing. this music strikes me as very very deep. the 1st tune in the 1st set is Parker's "Cheryl" and they absolutely kill. masterful blues deconstruction. this blues and the couple of standards they play are like Hays's own personal magic hats and he's got an endless supply of rabbits he can pull out of them at a moment's notice. i can't place what the 4th tune in the 1st set is. if anyone can tell me what it is it'd be much appreciated. i feel that it's on the tip of my mind but can't pin it down. and the "Days Of Wine And Roses" that ends the 2nd set is wonderful.

for those preferring a visual to accompany the sound, here's the clip that first made me sit up and say, "Whoa. this Hays is worth spending time on getting to know.":

Hays W/ Potter Quartet

this clip is definitely burning but the Smalls set is really something else. don't miss it.

I've never noticed this much Keith in Hays's playing either. Maybe he was listening to a lot of Keith that week?

What I love about Hays is the way he just makes everybody he plays with sound better without an excess of flash. Having a feel that perfect is really underappreciated.

Kevin Hays Trio!!!

Hays W/ Potter Quartet

I've never noticed this much Keith in Hays's playing either. Maybe he was listening to a lot of Keith that week?

What I love about Hays is the way he just makes everybody he plays with sound better without an excess of flash. Having a feel that perfect is really underappreciated.

yup.

question for anyone who still frequents Smalls. i haven't been there since i lived in the city around 2002-2003. this piano sounds pretty decent. when i was going there the piano seemed to have a different sound. different as in not as nice, out of tune, cool that it had some game to it, but still kinda hurtin' just the same. did they get a new piano?