Re-Re-Re-Issues....

Cliff Englewood

it's my 2nd copy of "Time Out" (first was the "For All Time" box), and first copy of Ah Um. Brilliant writing there. Is the second disc of the Brubeck truly unreleased or have they appeared before on bootlegs? i.e. Miles' Pasadena 56 concert

Edited by CJ Shearn

Perhaps the fourth musician in the program, Ornette, was not thought to be marketable!

Ornette was on Atlantic. The others are all Sony/ Columbia, and these are part of their Legacy bells-and-whistles reissues. Odd that they've made Sketches part of this batch of reissues, when KOB was the album featured in the program. Eh, any old tie-in will do, I guess.

I've asked this before but.... with an even more super deluxe reissue of Time Out, how come the alternate single take of Take Five has still not been included? I've never seen it listed in any discographies and it's never, to my knowledge, appeared on any CD.

The 45 version seems to be on the one-disc best of Ken Burns Jazz disc (the collection covering the whole series rather than the Brubeck single disc). The box set has the lp version.

Perhaps the fourth musician in the program, Ornette, was not thought to be marketable!

Ornette was on Atlantic. The others are all Sony/ Columbia, and these are part of their Legacy bells-and-whistles reissues. Odd that they've made Sketches part of this batch of reissues, when KOB was the album featured in the program. Eh, any old tie-in will do, I guess.

I've asked this before but.... with an even more super deluxe reissue of Time Out, how come the alternate single take of Take Five has still not been included? I've never seen it listed in any discographies and it's never, to my knowledge, appeared on any CD.

Is the single version a different take, or merely an edit of the LP version?

Different take

I'd love to hear it.

it's my 2nd copy of "Time Out" (first was the "For All Time" box), and first copy of Ah Um. Brilliant writing there. Is the second disc of the Brubeck truly unreleased or have they appeared before on bootlegs? i.e. Miles' Pasadena 56 concert

I don't know the answer to that but I've never seen them on bootleg.

Sound is awesome!

I wish that Morello had played with Monk, I'd love to hear that.

The 45 version seems to be on the one-disc best of Ken Burns Jazz disc (the collection covering the whole series rather than the Brubeck single disc). The box set has the lp version.

Ah... interesting!

Although it does make its non-inclusion in a 'deluxe' edition of the album all the more puzzling.

I just came across this: http://www.puredesmond.ca/des50b.htm

Take Five / Blue Rondo à la Turk

NOTE: This is the hit single version of Take Five, with Blue Rondo à la Turk on the "B" side. It was the first jazz "million-seller". Brubeck told me in 1991 that the DBQ was in England when the single was released unbeknownst to him. He claimed the single was actually an edited version of an alternate take recorded on the same day, July 1, 1959. Fischer lists an alternate take being released on COL 4-41479, but he lists the take released on Time Out as the one released as a single. Whatever the truth, it became Brubeck's signature tune, and a jazz anthem of sorts, played by budding saxophonists around the world.

For more information see Time Out.

Columbia COL 31769, COL 13-33036 - 7 & 8/59, N.Y.C.

* Take Five (Desmond) 2:50

* Blue Rondo à la Turk (Brubeck) 2:59

Why are 'Maids Of Cadiz' and "Teo' on the second CD of Sketches Of Spain?

Bertrand.

Long answer: Maids is included as an early example of Miles & Gil's tackling Spanish themes, Teo is an example of Miles exploring the Spanish-flavoured phrygian and phrygian dominant modes.

Short answer: Padding.

Edited by Rosco

Does the Mingus have anything on it which wasn't on the great 3CD set that came out several years ago? Is there really any reason for me to buy it or Sketches if I already have the Mingus box set and the Davis/Evans box?

thx

Not only does the Mingus not have anything that wasn't on the 3CD set, it appears to be missing the three alternates from Mingus Dynasty that were on disc 3 of that set. I guess they could not fit the entire earlier set onto 2 CD's. Given this, I see no reason to buy the new legacy edition, even if the mastering is slightly different and the notes are nice (which they also were on the 3CD set).

Does the Mingus have anything on it which wasn't on the great 3CD set that came out several years ago? Is there really any reason for me to buy it or Sketches if I already have the Mingus box set and the Davis/Evans box?

thx

Not only does the Mingus not have anything that wasn't on the 3CD set, it appears to be missing the three alternates from Mingus Dynasty that were on disc 3 of that set. I guess they could not fit the entire earlier set onto 2 CD's. Given this, I see no reason to buy the new legacy edition, even if the mastering is slightly different and the notes are nice (which they also were on the 3CD set).

That's a bit weird... that 3CD set was sold for the price of two CDs over here, and it's indeed great, definitely among the best recording ever made by Mingus, and great to have them all restored and in one place!

As for the Brubeck 2CD set, that one looks tempting, I don't think I know that live recording so far... does anyone have more details about the bonus disc? (Disc 2, I don't care for the DVD, really, unless of course if it was a live show, but it's not...)

Guest Bixieland

I'm really tempted by Sketches. Never cared for the 20bit versions from the late 90s. And I never got the Miles/Evans box.

Listening to the Amazon samples -- it definitely sounds warmer and more 3 dimensional. Looks like a similar improvement as the recent Kind O Blue set.

It's not just jazz where Legacy is re-re-reissuing. . .there are five Legacy editions due on June 30 of Woodstock performing artists. One cd is the contemporaneous album, the other cd is the Woodstock performance. Maybe this causes less of a sin because I'm not sure that the Woodstock performances were ever completely released before for these artists. Santana. . .maybe, or nearly so. Airplane, some.

The artists are: Santana, Sly and the Family Stone, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin and Johnny Winter.

They are also all banded together in a ten cd box set with posters.

It's not just jazz where Legacy is re-re-reissuing. . .there are five Legacy editions due on June 30 of Woodstock performing artists. One cd is the contemporaneous album, the other cd is the Woodstock performance. Maybe this causes less of a sin because I'm not sure that the Woodstock performances were ever completely released before for these artists. Santana. . .maybe, or nearly so. Airplane, some.

The artists are: Santana, Sly and the Family Stone, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin and Johnny Winter.

They are also all banded together in a ten cd box set with posters.

The Santana Woodstock performance, complete except for "Evil Ways", was on the Legacy Edition of their first album. Unless you're an utter completist (which I'm not unsympathetic to in the case of Woodstock Santana), the Legacy Edition is the better bet as it contains nine other bonus cuts in addition to the Woodstock cuts. I believe some of the Jefferson Airplane Woodstock cuts were on the Jefferson Airplane Loves You box set from many years ago, but looking at the new Woodstock Experience CD listing, their set was 14 songs, so that one is a must buy for me, as are the Joplin, Johnny Winter, and Sly. The most annoying thing about these releases is that they drop the bonus cuts which have been on previous later CD releases of the studio albums, so you can't just replace the older CD's without losing valuable music. In the case of the Johnny Winter, Janis Joplin, and Sly, that's only a few minutes of material, but in the case of the Santana and Jefferson Airplane, that's a good bit of really interesting stuff. Also, I have the Sly and Joplin albums as parts of box sets by those artists, and won't break up the box set. But the good thing here, in addition to these Woodstock performances seeing the light of day, is that the list price for the two CD sets is only $19.98 (available for $14.99 at Amazon - or you can pre-order the whole 10-CD box for $67.99), so overall, while I would have done it a little differently, I'm really glad to see this.

I acquired a copy of what's supposedly Creedence Clearwater Revival's Woodstock set, which was never released, no doubt due to Fantasy not wanting to give up rights to their biggest selling act of the time. Not all of the songs are complete, but it seems like a soundboard sourced recording.

I acquired a copy of what's supposedly Creedence Clearwater Revival's Woodstock set, which was never released, no doubt due to Fantasy not wanting to give up rights to their biggest selling act of the time. Not all of the songs are complete, but it seems like a soundboard sourced recording.

I've always been surprised that more of the complete Woodstock sets weren't released. Seems like they would have been good sellers in years past, moreso than they will be at this late date. All we've really had was Hendrix's set, which was pretty awful in pure musical terms.

Guest Bixieland

Anyone tempted by the hulking blu-ray set? I saw it at best buy the other day (while picking up sketches!). Cool eye-candy packaging. i don't know what all's in it though. Is it "complete?"