Re-Re-Re-Issues....

Cliff Englewood

Almost a spin-off from the recent BBC 4 program, 1959: The Year That Changed Jazz! Perhaps the fourth musician in the program, Ornette, was not thought to be marketable!

Perhaps the fourth musician in the program, Ornette, was not thought to be marketable!

Ornette was on Atlantic. The others are all Sony/ Columbia, and these are part of their Legacy bells-and-whistles reissues. Odd that they've made Sketches part of this batch of reissues, when KOB was the album featured in the program. Eh, any old tie-in will do, I guess.

I've asked this before but.... with an even more super deluxe reissue of Time Out, how come the alternate single take of Take Five has still not been included? I've never seen it listed in any discographies and it's never, to my knowledge, appeared on any CD.

Perhaps the fourth musician in the program, Ornette, was not thought to be marketable!

Ornette was on Atlantic. The others are all Sony/ Columbia, and these are part of their Legacy bells-and-whistles reissues. Odd that they've made Sketches part of this batch of reissues, when KOB was the album featured in the program. Eh, any old tie-in will do, I guess.

I've asked this before but.... with an even more super deluxe reissue of Time Out, how come the alternate single take of Take Five has still not been included? I've never seen it listed in any discographies and it's never, to my knowledge, appeared on any CD.

Is the single version a different take, or merely an edit of the LP version?

A last desperate blast from the record companies?

They've had a field day in the last 25 years repackaging 'classic' material - sometimes to good effect (better sound, comprehensive editions like the Miles boxes), sometimes not so (endless new editions of the same material).

But with record companies scaling back, deleting back catalogue etc an anniversary like this looks like last chance hotel. Once minority music is handled almost exclusively by download there is going to be little chance to keep doing this.

Though maybe I'm underestimating the marketing abilities of the music industry.

Looking at the advert for this set in a music magazine I couldn't help thinking how far the public face of jazz has become part of the heritage industry. Buy these packages and become part of this timeless lifestyle!

Is the single version a different take, or merely an edit of the LP version?

Different take

Odd that they've made Sketches part of this batch of reissues, when KOB was the album featured in the program. Eh, any old tie-in will do, I guess.

This probably means that there will be no new reissue of KOB to buy in 2009. The will break my streak of 6 straight years of buying a new KOB. :rmad:

It's no coincidence that they celebrate "fifty years". . . and that the European versions will start appeaering fifty years after original release.

Expect more.

And I'm not really complaining myself.

I bet Lonehill's version of Time Out has the single take of Take Five <_<

Does the Mingus have anything on it which wasn't on the great 3CD set that came out several years ago? Is there really any reason for me to buy it or Sketches if I already have the Mingus box set and the Davis/Evans box?

thx

John, I don't think so. The only different material I see is that Sketches has a PDF file with additional information.

I'll be interested to see if the new Mingus remastering bests the SACD. That SACD is the best sounding Mingus disc I have. Awesome!

John, I don't think so. The only different material I see is that Sketches has a PDF file with additional information.

I'll be interested to see if the new Mingus remastering bests the SACD. That SACD is the best sounding Mingus disc I have. Awesome!

I believe I read somewhere that they've used the Mark Wilder 20 bit remastering from the 3 cd box set.

I believe I read somewhere that they've used the Mark Wilder 20 bit remastering from the 3 cd box set.

I thought that mastering was really good, would certainly not be looking to pay for just a remaster.

Odd that they've made Sketches part of this batch of reissues, when KOB was the album featured in the program. Eh, any old tie-in will do, I guess.

This probably means that there will be no new reissue of KOB to buy in 2009. The will break my streak of 6 straight years of buying a new KOB. :rmad:

They've already done two "50th anniversary" editions of KOB. One was released in 2008. It was the box set with two CDs, an LP, and a DVD. Then, in early 2009, they released the two disc version (same as the box, but sans LP and DVD).

I don't have the Davis/Evans box, so the reissue of "Sketches" is worth picking up for me.

I thought that mastering was really good, would certainly not be looking to pay for just a remaster.

I agree, that's why picking this up would be re-re-redundant for many ;)

Ornette was on Atlantic. The others are all Sony/ Columbia, and these are part of their Legacy bells-and-whistles reissues.

Bingo--that's why no mention of GIANT STEPS either.

I'm sure WEA/Rhino are watching closely. Would Ornette sell enough for them to see it as feasible in this market? I certainly would never recommended 'Change of the Century' as a starting point to someone who's "not sure if they like jazz", the way I would the Miles, Trane, and Brubeck titles under discussion here. Wouldn't recommend the Mingus title either. I guess that Ornette would sell on the same level as a Mingus? Just ruminations at lunchtime...

They've already done two "50th anniversary" editions of KOB. One was released in 2008. It was the box set with two CDs, an LP, and a DVD. Then, in early 2009, they released the two disc version (same as the box, but sans LP and DVD).

Three if you get technical - in addtion to those two, there is also the two disc version plus DVD.

I agree, that's why picking this up would be re-re-redundant for many ;)

Yes, there is no new re-mastering on these, as JETman points out, unless it's your first time getting these, they are really re-re-redundant. :rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ornette was on Atlantic. The others are all Sony/ Columbia, and these are part of their Legacy bells-and-whistles reissues.

Bingo--that's why no mention of GIANT STEPS either.

I'm sure WEA/Rhino are watching closely. Would Ornette sell enough for them to see it as feasible in this market? I certainly would never recommended 'Change of the Century' as a starting point to someone who's "not sure if they like jazz", the way I would the Miles, Trane, and Brubeck titles under discussion here. Wouldn't recommend the Mingus title either. I guess that Ornette would sell on the same level as a Mingus? Just ruminations at lunchtime...

I wouldn't count on Rhino doing anything, especially after what seemed to be a promising reissue program a few years back that included a proper first time domestic cd reissue of 'Ornette!" and Bill Evans' 'It might as Well be Spring'. No second batch was ever issued and that's the last I've heard of any jazz reissues from Rhino.

unless it's your first time getting these, they are really re-re-redundant. :rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The second disc in the Brubeck is some previously unreleased (and, for the most part, entire unrelated to Time out) music from the Newport Jazz festivals of '61, '63 and '64. I'd probably pick it up for that, but it'll have to be in a bargain bin first.

I had understood that the Mingus wasn't the same mastering as the previous cd version - "All of the masters were beautifully remixed in 24 bit on a vintage Presto all-tube three-track tape machine." Unless the previous version was also beautifully remixed...

Yes, it sounds like a different transfer to me than the earlier cds. . . . I haven't compared them yet but it sounds different "from memory." I'll try to find the other cd versions and compare tomorrow.

Doesn't sound as good as the SACD of Ah Um but I didn't expect it to!

EDIT: I've done some comparisons. These may be the same transfers, but there's differences I think in the mix and or in the sound of the cds due to pressing plant changes or something. These new ones have a mellower sound to the treble, but also seem less spread out soundwise.

That's just how I hear it on my system. Not a major drastic change. One would be served with either or both. The packaging and booklet are quite handsome and nice.

Edited by jazzbo