Which Jazz box set are you NOT GROOVING to since you bought it?

I find that there are a couple or more albums worth of material on Joe Henderson's "The Milestone Years" that are pretty much unlistenable to me. I got it at such a nice price that I couldn't even buy all of the single albums worth of material I do enjoy without spending more than I paid for the entire 8-CD box set so I'm holding on to it.

Ronnie Scott's 4-CD "Boppin' With Scott" didn't do much for me but I only gave it one listen. It may be one of those that grows on me when revisited.

Fortunately, I don't have a negative box set story, so here's a positive one. After putting it off for years, I finally bought the Mosaic Select Pacific Jazz Piano Trios set. I only wanted the Dick Twardzik material, but I've really enjoyed the rest of the set - far more than I expected. Clare Fischer in particular is just killin' me.

Fortunately, I don't have a negative box set story, so here's a positive one. After putting it off for years, I finally bought the Mosaic Select Pacific Jazz Piano Trios set. I only wanted the Dick Twardzik material, but I've really enjoyed the rest of the set - far more than I expected. Clare Fischer in particular is just killin' me.

Curious if you ever met Fischer and had a conversation about music. Maybe a PM would have been better.

• 4 weeks later...

Miles Davis's The Cellar Door Sessions 1970. I spun it a couple of times, but after already owning the Bitches Brew and Jack Johnson sets (the latter of which I love), I found that I pretty much reached my limit with regard to the Miles's fusion scraps that the label has boxed up in recent years. I need to give it another chance, since it has been collecting dust for a couple of years. Or maybe I can convince my family to pass it around to one another at Christmas, not unlike a "recycled" fruitcake.

huh :wacko: :wacko: And why would someone trade you an OOP 8-CD set for an in-print 3CD set???

In any case... I love them both!

for me, the Bobby Hutcherson Mosaic hasn't lived up to the hype for me beyond "Cirrus". I'm holding onto it tho, I doubt someone would trade me the big Elvin box for it.

huh :wacko: :wacko: And why would someone trade you an OOP 8-CD set for an in-print 3CD set???

In any case... I love them both!

for me, the Bobby Hutcherson Mosaic hasn't lived up to the hype for me beyond "Cirrus". I'm holding onto it tho, I doubt someone would trade me the big Elvin box for it.

well b/c I don't wanna give up any of the three big boxes I have, love them all, and I have a burn of the Elvin Mosaic.

It has nothing to with dissatisfaction of the content, but I have a hard time playing the Ayler Revenant box. The prayer box is in the stereo rack where a cassette deck used to be but it blends in like a typical black stereo component (when it's turned off, as the box doesn't have any lights.) I have since put a dummy cd case in the racks with his name on the spine next to his other cds just to remind me that I have a big box of his music. :crazy:

Miles Davis's The Cellar Door Sessions 1970. I spun it a couple of times, but after already owning the Bitches Brew and Jack Johnson sets (the latter of which I love), I found that I pretty much reached my limit with regard to the Miles's fusion scraps that the label has boxed up in recent years.

Yeah I suspected as much... I never bought Cellar Door but I carefully re-auditioned Live-Evil and decided that even that was too much. Miles' fusion is quite over-rated, IMO. I find Bitches' Brew boring and there's only two tracks of Cellar Door which I care for, but I'm with you on JJ which I acquired recently and would easily put at the top of the Miles fusion tree.

This is probably a minority opinion around here, but very little of the J.J. Johnson Mosaic box has ever really hit me.

You are re-opening old wounds, my friend.... ;)

Box sets I no longer groove to? I've got a fair few box sets and I mainly like them, but I'll say the ones that rarely come out are the ones where I was already totally familiar with all the material. So what should be my favorite box - the Ornette - rarely gets opened. Not just that I am familiar with the music (maybe I moved on) but the tracks are not in album sequence and the whole thing seems to be taken from second generation masters where tracks left over from classic sessions had the stereo reversed to make the follow-up compilation LPs more consistent, but the engineers of the box haven't dared to re-reverse them (OK what I mean is they probably never noticed) so that in the now re-assembled sessions the sound stage is occasionally disconcertingly reversed on the stray tracks. That and as ever with Atlantic remasters which are mainly from LP masters the sound is not too good.

I thought getting the Miles Davis Quintet Prestige box would finally reveal what I've been missing all these years.

Hey Skid, if you're looking for somplace to dump your JJ Mosaic, I'll gladly trade you my Miles box, some vintage Styx records (including an original Paradise Theatre with the hologram on side 2; don't worry, I've got extras), a Steve Perry autographed 8-track of Infinity, and the Chicago 17 cassette that the buyer of my Nissan refused forgot to take when she bought the car from me. :g

Edited by Big Al