Cd Databases

robviti

I have been using, for the past few months, a program called MusicCollector with much success. I'm very happy with it. Ofcourse, I have no prior experience w/ a music database such as this, so I have nothing to compare it to.

What features are important to you?

Here's a link to the MusicCollector site:

Music Collector

You can download a trial version and try it out for yourself!

Edited by street singer

I have my own trusty design and simply type the stuff up in MSExcell. One file holds simple listings of disks and another one (linked through a common number to the first file) lists recording date, personnel, and whatnot.

Sometimes I download song listings from AMG (good with large boxed sets). Otherwise it gives me something to do on long winter nights.

One feature I'm looking for is the ability to pop a cd in my computer and have its data automatically downloaded from the internet via an existing database like CDDB. With approximately 2,000 cds in my collection, the idea of entering each title by hand is inconceivable to me. If I understand the Music Collector webpage correctly, you can download data from three databases (CDDB, Amazon and AMG) by either scanning the cd in your computer or entering the barcode number. That sounds mighty convenient to me. Anyone else use Music Collector?

You can do that in Catraxx. The problem is CDDB. You don't know who entered the information about the disc into the database in the first place. And chances are they didn't do a good job with it.

Before my computer crashed I had my entire collection of over 1500 CD titles in there. I would say CDDB had about 75% of them. Of those, 90% had either wrong data, misspelled data, or lazy data (ie, not using capitol letters or correct punctuation) that I had to go back and manually change.

Not very time saving.

One feature I'm looking for is the ability to pop a cd in my computer and have its data automatically downloaded from the internet via an existing database like CDDB. With approximately 2,000 cds in my collection, the idea of entering each title by hand is inconceivable to me. If I understand the Music Collector webpage correctly, you can download data from three databases (CDDB, Amazon and AMG) by either scanning the cd in your computer or entering the barcode number.

That is correct. MusicCollector allows you to search those three databases along w/ a few others which I don't use. As was stated in the previous email, a lot of the info you get from CDDB is either incorrect or sloppy. However, you can set the MusicCollector software up to dowload information for numerous CDs at once and then automatically go into "edit" mode (to fine tune the information to your liking) before adding them to your database. Very convenient.

I would highly suggest downloading the trial version of MusicCollector from their website. It's fully-functional and will allow you a maximum of 100 CDs. If you decide you like it, you can buy it and spend weeks and weeks...probably months... entering the rest of your CDs. It can become a near obsession if not kept in check! :wacko:

I have been using, for the past few months, a program called MusicCollector with much success. I'm very happy with it. Ofcourse, I have no prior experience w/ a music database such as this, so I have nothing to compare it to.

What features are important to you?

Here's a link to the MusicCollector site:

Music Collector

You can download a trial version and try it out for yourself!

Two features that would be really important to me are:

1) keeping track of vinyl LPs, as well as CDs;

2) portability; that is, being able to download the data into a PDA and take it with me when I go to a record show, CD store, etc.

Which program can do this? It's time for me to get better organized :ph34r:

I've been pretty busy the past few days, so I haven't had a chance to try out the different demos I downloaded. I've narrowed my search to five programs. Here they are, with the appropriate links in case anyone else is interested:

Cattrax

Cd Trustee

Music Collector

Music Label

Music Library

My plan is to scan the same 10-15 titles into each one, play around with them, and then decide which one is right for me. That might seem like a lot of work to some folks, but I want to do this only once. And with 2,000 or so titles...well, you know. I appreciate everyone who's shared their opinions so far, and I look forward to hearing from more of you. Feel free to email me if you like.

Edited by jazzshrink

Have you looked at readerware? Readerware with the ability to use a cuecat barcode reader as well as drag-and-drop entry I have found it to be great to catalog my collection (2,500+) It is portable and relatively easy. You can also download it and try it out if you want. The CueCat reader is readly avail on ebay, and readerware sells it as a bundle with the program. Check it out. I have been very happy with it.

Note: I have no connection with the company or anyone who works for Readerware.

Claypone

Two features that would be really important to me are:

1)  keeping track of vinyl LPs, as well as CDs;

2)  portability; that is, being able to download the data into a PDA and take it with me when I go to a record show, CD store, etc. 

Which program can do this?  It's time for me to get better organized  :ph34r:

Hello Leeway,

Yes, MusicCollector does offer both of the features you asked about.

1) You can add any type of format, be it CD, LP, MiniDisc, SACD, etc, etc. CDs, ofcourse, are the easiest to add. You simply put the disc in the drive and, if you're connected to the Internet, the program automatically searches for information. The other formats can be searched for by barcode or by Artist/Title. They can also be added manually, if you so choose.

2) Your database can be downloaded to a PDA - however, I am not familiar with the process involved. It does require integration with another application (ListPro). Here is the information from the MusicCollector manual regarding this:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

"This feature lets you export album lists in a format directly compatible with the Music Collector template for ListPro. ListPro is a list manager for use on your Palm or Pocket PC device. You can use the Music Collector template for ListPro to view your Music Collector data on your mobile device. More info about this, including a discount for buying ListPro, can be found here: http://www.collectorz.com/music/listpro.php"

------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this info is helpful!

I've been using CaTraxx for about 2 years now with no complaints, plus I just bought the upgrade which now makes it even more compatible with Windows XP and it's easier to use than before. The program is very powerful with lots of settings you can change (custom fields, etc) if you're into that sort of thing..or you can just use it as is. A great bargain for the price I think.

What do the Mac users use? The only one of these that seems to have a Mac version is Readerware. 

I quickly checked at an OSX apps site and found 4. There are probably more out there.

I just downloaded the Cocoa freeware Shiidiideetabeesu 1.0. It seems to cover the basics OK. I'm sticking with my Appleworks database as I've already invested some time with it, but if I was just starting out and didn't have any database experience (or a lot of extra time) I might consider it. Not bad for free software.

I've been using Music Collector for quite a while now. I recommend it... but I was curious if there was something that catered more to the needs of a jazz collector, who is often interested in the kinds of details that many pop/rock/mainstream collectors are not...

I have heard a lot about the Beyond Category software from a few erudite jazzfans-- does it offer some particularly compelling features?

What do Classical collectors tend to use? Seems like they are often as obsessive as we are :)