swing stars in the '50s & 60s

montg

I have (or have had) all the Felsteds, and IMO only "The High and Mighty Hawk" is top drawer. Usually there are a couple of things awry in each case (one or more guys who weren't up to snuff that day and/or hadn't been in a while [e.g. Buster Bailey, Wells on "Bones for the King"]). Perhaps Dance was too much of a worshipful and/or hands-off producer -- compare for instance the Felsted Budd Johnson to the Swingville one, or the Buddy Tate to any of the Swingville dates on which he appears.

Also, I'm puzzled by the raves for "Ben Webster And Associates." The lineup looks great on paper, but as I recall, the rhythm section, and thus virtually the entire date, is sabotaged by the mechanical (even by his own grim standards) comping of Oscar Peterson.

I would love to get my hands on "Jazz Studio One." Haven't heard it in years, but I remember in particular some choice Bennie Green.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

P.D. - Where can you order Fresh Sounds from?

Fresh Sounds / Blue Moon

Is the site in Spain

www.boulevarddistribution.com is a USA source.

The discs are a bit cheaper from Spain, but interestingly enough, often Boulevard will have OOP titles.

With Boulevard it seems best to call them over the phone to order though

Edited by P.D.

Woke up in the middle of the night with the thought that it might be Jimmy Jones, not Oscar Peterson, on "Ben Webster And Associates." Whatever, it's a clotted, crippled rhythm section IMO, and their work infects the horn players. (Usually I like Jimmy Jones BTW; his quirky solos are the main point of interest on that H. Edison Verve two-fer referred to above.)

One of my favorites in this "style" (if you can call it that):

c560609r919.jpg

Some lyrical, joyous playing by all involved, including Walter Bishop, Jr., who is anything but a sore thumb here. Contains what is for me the finest, most aching interpretation of "I Didn't Know What Time It Was" I've ever heard.

Edited by Joe

Woke up in the middle of the night with the thought that it might be Jimmy Jones, not Oscar Peterson, on "Ben Webster And Associates." Whatever, it's a clotted, crippled rhythm section IMO, and their work infects the horn players.  (Usually I like Jimmy Jones BTW; his quirky solos are the main point of interest on that H. Edison Verve two-fer referred to above.)

Sorry ubu, I never cared much for this one either. I always treat Jimmy Jones with extreme caution now.

c560609r919.jpg

Some lyrical, joyous playing by all involved, including Walter Bishop, Jr., who is anything but a sore thumb here.  Contains what is for me the finest, most aching interpretation of "I Didn't Know What Time It Was" I've ever heard.

Well, I respectfully disagree about Bishop Jr. IMO he drags down this date, especially sad because Doc and especially Shorty were given so few chances to strech out during these years.

Edited by Brownian Motion

Maybe I need new ears.  ;)

Word of advice: I've tried these. They suck.

ears.jpg

Send me a pair of these, too :wacko:

No need to feel sorry, anyone. Larry, I'll have to give the disc another listen, but won't be able to do so right ahead. (Working on an exercise for university - see my Hans Baron thread...)

I guess I loved the horns that much, that I have not yet REALLY listened to the rhythm section on that one - which would also indicate that I did not take note of their marring the whole date... But it's been quite some time since I last heard it, anyway.

Another favorite: PAUL QUINICHETTE!

I LOVE his record with Coltrane (though that's not one for this thread), and his Complete Dawn sessions (available from Freshsound/Blue Moon, see link posted above by PDEE), as well as his "Vice Pres" album. I have the later one in its VEE incarnation. Did the double LP include any tunes not on the VEE? I recently saw it in a store, here, but had no possibility to compare it with the VEE.

Here come the covers:

paulquinichettekidfromdenver.gif

B00004VXG3.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

How are these two?

B000007S90.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

OJC076-2.jpg

(LOVE that cover!)

ubu

Edited by king ubu

Paul Quinichete made an exceptionally nice album for UA in 1959--Al Grey, and 3 trumpets: Shad Collins, Sweets, and Snooky Young, and Nat Pierce, Freddie Green, Eddie Jones and Jo Jones(?)--very nice Basie feel. I'm waiting for it to appear on CD.

In this case, you gotta hear the "Kid From Denver" disc! Perfectly fits the Basie bill! Nat Pierce does the Count, Joe Newman, Thad & Renauld (sp?) Jones, Henry Coker, Gene Roland John Carisi are among the other horns, Freddie Green, Eddie Jones, Sonny Payne, Wendell Marshall, Oscar Pettiford and Osie Johnson among the rhythm players. four dates in all, recorded 1956/57. Some tracks feature Sylvia Pierce (yes, they were married - quoting the liner notes, originally on "New Voices", Dawn DLP-1125, "She first met Nat Pierce, her husband-to-be, when she was fourteen. (. . .) when Sylvia was seventeen they started going together. In 1953 they were married.") I like her alright. Never heard anything else of her.

ubu

... is an obscure Ruby Braff LP called "You're Getting to be A Habit With Me" on BELL label. It's absolutely terrific and deserves reissue. Ruby's 50s stuff on RCA and Vanguard are great too.

From a later decade , but I cherish those wonderful LPs by the Ruby Braff - George Barnes Quartet!

Both the Quinichette Basie Tributes on Prestige are fine, both were on that twofer, both are now available as OJC's:

e33721z86nt.jpgd17903p60eo.jpg

This is another Prestige he's on, not swing, but a very beautiful hommage indeed:

f31746k52jo.jpg

And this covers his rare Dale and Decca sides, I know you don't like these Spanish labels, but there is no other way to get this good music:

f83133bwo3n.jpg

There was indeed two sessions of a 10-incher on EmArcy, titled Moods, that's not on the VEE CD.

And this covers his rare Dale and Decca sides, I know you don't like these Spanish labels, but there is no other way to get this good music:

f83133bwo3n.jpg

There was indeed two sessions of a 10-incher on EmArcy, titled Moods, that's not on the VEE CD.

Mike, those two other sessions ("Mood") - were they on the Vice Prez 2LP set?

And the CD, the spanish one, is that complete in any way? Or is it some compilation?

ubu

Mike, those two other sessions ("Mood") - were they on the Vice Prez 2LP set?

And the CD, the spanish one, is that complete in any way? Or is it some compilation?

The Ocium includes the complete Dale sides (tracks 5-12) and Decca sides (17-24) as well as 8 tracks (two complete sessions) also on the VEE. AMG has correct track listings.

Have to research about the EmArcy twofer first.

I did not know about the Mosaic and the Clef dates! Write them an email about them presenting them on a select! Sure worth a shot!

After just finding this Ocium release (Ocium 0025) I'd say we rather ask them for a follow-up than talking Mosaic into the trouble of negotiating a licensing deal with Verve:

ocm0025.jpg

Contents:

PERSONNEL AND RECORDING DATES

Illinois Jacquet (ts); Hank Jones (p); John Collins (g); Gene Ramey (B);

Art Blakey (d).

New York, May 24, 1951

1. JUST A SITTIN' AND A ROCKIN' Verve mx 545 (2:49)

(Ellington-Strayhorn)

2. MEAN TO ME (Ahlert-Turk) " mx 546 (3:15)

3. ONE NIGHTER BOOGIE (Jacquet) " mx 547 (3:00)

4. WRAP YOUR TROUBLES IN DREAMS " mx 548 (3:25)

(Barris-Koehler-Moll)

5. COTTON TAIL (Ellington) " mx 549 (2:51)

6. WEARY BLUES (Matthews) " mx 550 (3:11)

7. GOOVIN' (Jacquet) " mx 551 (2:40)

Russell Jacquet, Elmon Wright, Lamar Wright, Joe Newman (tp); Matthew Gee, Henry Cocker (tb); Earle Warren, Ernie Henry (as); Count "Red" Hastings, Illinois Jacquet (ts); Cecil Payne (bs); Johnny Acea (p) Freddie Green (g); Al Lucas (B); Shadow Wilson (d). A.K. Salim (arr.).

New York, March 31, 1952

8. BOOT'EM UP (Jacquet-Salim) Clef mx 752 (2:57)

9. BLUESITIS (Jacquet-Salim) " mx 754 (3:03)

10. SWINGIN' HOME (Jacquet-Salim) " mx 755 (3:15)

Illinois Jacquet (ts); Hank Jones (p); Count Basie (org, except on * ); Freddie Green (g); Ray Brown (B); Jimmy Crawford (d).

New York, July 22 or 24, 1952

11. LEAN BABY (May) Merc./Clef mx 818 (3:01)

12. SOMEWHERE ALONG THE WAY (*) " mx 819 (2:35)

(Gallop-Adams)

13. THE COOL RAGE (Jacquet) " mx 820 (2:30)

14. PORT OF RICO (Jacquet) " mx 821 (2:41)

Illinois Jacquet (ts); Hank Jones (org); Sir Charles Thompson (p); Joe Sinacore (g); Al Lucas (B); Shadow Wilson (d).

New York, December 31, 1952

15. BLUES IN THE NIGHT (Arlen-Mercer) Merc/Clef mx 1123 (2:54)

16. FAT MAN BOOGIE (May) " mx 1124 (2:56)

17. WHAT'S THE RIFF (Jacquet) " mx 1125 (2:53)

18. WHERE ARE YOU? (McHugh-Adamson) " mx 1126 (2:53)

Russell Jacquet (tp); Illinois Jacquet (ts); Matthew Gee (tb); Cecil Payne (bs); John Acea (p); Al Lucas (B); Shadow Wilson (d).

New York, poss. December 11, 1953

19. LITTLE JEFF (Jacquet-Acea) Clef mx 1387 (3:38)

20. JACQUET JUMPS (Jacquet-Acea) " mx 1388 (1:48)

21. BLUE NOCTURNE (Jacquet-Acea) " mx 1389 (3:04)

22. ON YOUR TOES (Jacquet-Salim) " mx 1390 (3:16)

23. R. U. ONE? (Jacquet-Salim) " mx 1391 (?) (2:52)

24. (It's the) TALK OF THE TOWN " mx 1393 (3:26)

(Livingston-Neiburg)

Two tracks from the last session and one alternate are missing, otherwise it's complete! But they started with Jacquet's 3rd Clef session, making me think they dubbed from the Verve twofer VE2-2544! Maybe the January 18, 1951 session is already on a Classics CD?