Jazz Artists in unexpected settings

randyhersom

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was browsing the web and found an enthusiastic review of Johnny Guitar Watson by a jazz lover. I definitely considered his music ultracommercial when it was first released and did not check it out.

Not to pile on (as JSngry already pointed out the flaw in the above), but just to add more detail, Watson really was an important guitar stylist, and a huge influence on a lot of blues guitarists who came later (I mean real serious blues players, not just the likes of Steve Miller, who copped the "Gangster Of Love" thing from Watson). Assuming he was strictly a commercial artist is like assuming Wes Montgomery was strictly a commercial artist (or any number of others who managed to make some money via a more commercial approach at one point or another in their careers).

Mr. Dunmall playing "Mister Magic" with Mr. Watson in 1977: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCBg0Yp4V6U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqngiG7THSs has the same band playing Chameleon ...

At the time A Real Mother was a hit, I played in a band whose guitarist said he almost had to vomit whenever he heard Johnny Guitar sing ... I liked it, and that groove with the Moog bass line was a killer. I will dig out the LP later.

Yes he was commercial, but in a straight, unpretentious way - and he was natural born entertainer. I several respects, he was the Prince of his day.

Fooling y'all with one of his jazzy piano tracks on my first BFT was of the more pleasureable moments in my life :g

Edited by mikeweil

Van Morrison's "Astral Weeks" (Warner, 1968) has quite a band: Jay Berliner (g), Richard Davis (b), Connie Kay (d), Warren Smith Jr. (perc,vib), John Payne (fl,ss) - I don't know Payne and am not sure what corner Berliner is coming from, but having Richard Davis/Connie Kay is quite a treat (same rhythm section as on Lucky Strikes by Lucky Thompson)!

Warren Smith also played on Jerry Moore's Life is a Constant Journey Home LP on ESP. Also a folky sort of thing.

Jay Berliner was on some Gil Evans discs, IIRC. Maybe Mingus too.

Yes, Berliner's doing those acoustic intros/interludes on "Black Saint and the Sinner Lady", I think!

Jay Berliner would be a good example for guys that did work all over the place... Solomon Ilori, Charles Mingus, Harry Belafonte/Miriam Makeba, Laura Nyro, Dick Hyman, George Benson, Milt Jackson (Sunflower on CTI), Airto, Grover Washington, Deodato, Burt Bacharach, Frank Sinatra, Helen Merrill w/Gil Evans, Van Morrison, Harry Connick, Peggy Lee, Don Byron, Eartha Kitt, Barbara Carroll, Bette Midler, Blossom Dearie, Ithamara Koorax, Ute Lemper, Peter Paul & Mary, Astrud Gilberto... various soundtracks, as well as - on AMG at least - two albums under his own name, one that looks like a classical (of the easy kind, I guess), and this one here, with a cover so cool I got to attach it here:

post-174-1256667387_thumb.jpg

Also, all of the Blue Notes have popped up in some crazy places. My favorite is probably Dudu Pukwana's guest stint on A Tent's prescient electronic album Six Empty Places. The most famous instance is Chris McGregor's appearance on Nick Drake's Bryter Layter, which inexplicably gets McGregor into as many history books as his unbelievable run in jazz/improv.

Dudu Pukwana also did some afro pop stuff... remember Assagai? Dudu, Mongezi Feza and Louis Moholo were members of that band.

Some more info here: http://www.radagast.org/assagai/

You can hear a track from an album here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S38YBnm_UuY

Not bad at all!

Lots of jazzers on Robert Wyatt albums...Evan Parker, Gilad Atzmon, Annie Whitehead, Mongezi Feza as well as the above mentioned Charigs etc. In that vein you might include the Tippett/Evans/Charig axis that turned up on a couple of early King Crimson albums.

Here's an odd one...the first solo album by someone who came to be loathed by the hip and fastidious in the 80s and 90s:

philss.jpg

Ronnie Scott turns up on that album (which I rather like (I don't do hip or fastidious)...never got round to the rest).

And I believe Humphrey Lyttleton turns up on a Radiohead album somewhere.

John Martyn has the likes of Jon Stevens and Tony Coe on some of his albums. And I believe Tubby Hayes is on one of the early Family albums.

Not to mention Henry Lowther who you'll find on all sorts of late-60s/early 70s rock albums...he was even at Woodstock with Keef Hartley.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

Lots of jazzers on Robert Wyatt albums...Evan Parker, Gilad Atzmon, Annie Whitehead, Mongezi Feza as well as the above mentioned Charigs etc. In that vein you might include the Tippett/Evans/Charig axis that turned up on a couple of early King Crimson albums.

Here's an odd one...the first solo album by someone who came to be loathed by the hip and fastidious in the 80s and 90s:

philss.jpg

Ronnie Scott turns up on that album (which I rather like (I don't do hip or fastidious)...never got round to the rest).

And I believe Humphrey Lyttleton turns up on a Radiohead album somewhere.

John Martyn has the likes of Jon Stevens and Tony Coe on some of his albums. And I believe Tubby Hayes is on one of the early Family albums.

Not to mention Henry Lowther who you'll find on all sorts of late-60s/early 70s rock albums...he was even at Woodstock with Keef Hartley.

My pal cornettist Gerry Salisbury had a day job in a studio, and played on a Van Der Graaf Generator album; he was amused to have kids asking for his autograph.