What Standard Ought to Be Retired?

Dan Gould

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't mean to be critical of those who like to play Blue Monk

I know you weren't being critical. I was just enthusiastically stating my point! B)

I actually tend to agree with your main point about exploring an artists catalog. About a month ago, I decided to really concentrate on learning compositions by some of my favorite artists like, Ellington/Strayhorn, Monk, and Rollins. I actually now have two Monk songs under my belt! Blue Monk and In Walked Bud. Also, now know Alfie's Theme. I've never heard either of these two songs played in these parts. I'm looking forward to being the first. If I can turn on one person to Monk or Rollins that would be great. Hell, if people tap their foot I'm happy!

• 1 year later...

Okay, here's my choice (after all this time): Baby, It's Cold Outside. Sometime during the David Johannson performance on SNL, this song became a complete joke that I just cannot take seriously. Even the classic performances make me grimace. This song shouldn't just be retired, but should be taken out behind the barn and shot.

Having had to write charts for singers for years, I finally had to put a surcharge on "My Funny Valentine" if another chart of it was requested ..

molto ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzando! :tdown

ditto "Summertime" ( I'd always try to sell the girl singers on "My Mans' Gone Now" ..with usually little success )

"Caravan" can be cool ..if you voice it in parallel.. with all three diminished chord present :D

Still haven't changed my mind.  Please, please, PLEASE stop recording Baby It's Cold Outside!   :(

Yeah, once David Johannsen (by whatever silly name it was he was going by!) did that one, the plug should have been pulled! :lol:

Moose, you're repeating yourself. But you're consistent!

Holy shit...I'm becoming my senile grandfather...repeating the same stories over and over... :wacko:

I've said this before but I maintain that the "tiredness" of a tune is determined solely by the specific interpretation/quality of performance. It seems that just when I'm burnt out on a specific tune I come across a version of it that kicks ass and breathes new life into it.

IMHO. :)

I'm reminded of a story related by Dave Liebman. Seems that he was complaining to Miles about not being able to find wnything new to play on certain tunes. Miles response was simple - "Don't blame the tune."

I agree. A song doesn't play itself.

I would tend to agree with all who wrote that it's the player and not the tune, but one tune that really is a drag, as far as I'm concerned, is "Where or When."

(Yeah, I know, Tatum and Webster's version is nice, but still my least favorite thing on that record.)

And it has come to the point where if you play "My Funny Valentine," "Summertime," or "'Round Midnight," or anything from Kind of Blue you'd damn well better have something new to say, and even then you're fighting an uphill battle.

And it has come to the point where if you play "My Funny Valentine," "Summertime," or "'Round Midnight," or anything from Kind of Blue you'd damn well better have something new to say, and even then you're fighting an uphill battle.

I agree, although I've recently heard new, fresh and complementry versions of Summertime, Round Midnight and All The Things You Are.

What is really unpleasant is when those time worn tunes are changed just for the sake of change and the new arrangements do not enhance the original song.

There should be some kind of demerit system for those song crimes. The last Bobby Watson record is evidence in point.

marcello Posted Jun 1 2005, 08:34 PM

What is really unpleasant is when those time worn tunes are changed just for the sake of change and the new arrangements do not enhance the original song.

Agreed. Better to just leave them alone rather than shit all over them a la Kenneth Gorelick.

Edited by Kalo

• 4 weeks later...

Speaking of overdone warhorses:

I forget exactly what show it was on, but several years ago, some nutjob went to the trouble of videotaping a WHOLE flotilla of cheezoid lounge singer /pianists ( some far worse than others ) all doing "Misty" ....

..and splicing them together a phrase at a time, thereby creating a two and a half chorus

visual and audio collage that while musically horrifying, was one of the most hilarious things I've ever seen on TV!

I do think its time someone did that to "My Funny Valenzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....zzzzz