Blue Note Reissues

Leeway

Lately I've been seeing a lot of BN vinyl reissues. In fact, I've picked up some myself. These are not from the Conn series, or, as far as I can determine, from the vinyl BN released back in about 1999; I think that was something like their Top 50.

I've been seeing these around for about $10 an LP. They are complete facsimiles of the originals, except that on the bottom of the rear panel of the LP cover, the BN address is given as 304 Park Ave South, New York. The label on the vinyl looks like the original labels but is a distinctly paler blue.

One of the ones I picked up recently is Fred Jackson's, "Hootin' 'N Tootin' "

To my ears it sounds quite good. Another is Lou Donaldson's

"Blues Walk." So,

1) are these issued by BN itself?

2) are they from analogue sources, or are they some sort of digitalized pressing?

3) what has led to so many titles being in circulation?

Anyone else been picking these up?

I've recently seen a bunch of BN Lps around town (which is quite rare, indeed) but the CLIFF JORDAN Lp that I purchased doesn't have the address that you mention, Leeway. The rest of the details that you included in your post seem consistent, however, with the Lp that I picked up.

I've got the Fred Jackson, which sounds fine. I have to add the rider to that that I am not in the slightest a stickler for sound - so long as I can here the notes, that's fine for me!

This reissue was great for someone like me, who's sufficiently young and new to jazz that I missed 'Hootin' and Tootin'' the first time around, and also couldn't really afford to buy things like this as an expensive import! So I'm all for them. I wonder which other titles are out there?

I decided to check with the good folks at Dusty Groove, who have offered a number of these reissues (Lee Morgan's "Candy" being one of them). Here is what they say:

We don't know if they're digitally remastered or not, unfortunately -- but we do know that they are legit, and produced for a secondary company by EMI.

Well, that helps a little, but still leaves a mystery. I wonder why there isn't more information about them? They have to be legit since they use the original BN cover art, liner notes, etc. BN/EMI would not allow such use without their authorization.

It would be quite nice to discover that these reissues are latter-day Liberty or UA-era vinyl (I wouldn't hope for better than that) reissued. More investigation is needed :alien:

What's written/stamped in the dead wax??

Good point. I checked 2 of these reissues, Fred Jackson's "Hootn' 'N Tootn'," originally BN 4094, and Hank Mobley's "Dippin'," originally BN 4209.

Dead wax on the Jackson: "3972 - BLP 4094-1(A) S50707 De Bos" [the "DeBos is in italics, like a signature- could also be "DeBas].

Dead Wax on the Mobley: "3972 - BLP 4209 - 1(A) S-50136 DeBos"

Alas, no "RVG" :(

So, what's it all mean?

Call or write to Mosaic. They know all about re-issue vinyl and who's doing what. They would also know what source tapes were licensed. I got some info from them two years ago about Impulse reissues, very helpful.

And here's a rant, no extra charge: while you're at it, buy the best value in jazz today, the Mosaic LP box of Miles' 65-68 Quintet. Really, are you going to find anything as remotely satisfying as that music on that vinyl between now and your next $500 of music spending??? Unlikely.

• 3 months later...

Don't know, other than I have seen these around in KC too ...

Eric

Where in KC?? I don't even have a turntable that works (haven't for going on nearly a decade), so I'm not really all that interested --- though if I stumbled on an Andrew Hill title like "Black Fire", I'd probably bite.

Eric

Where in KC?? I don't even have a turntable that works (haven't for going on nearly a decade), so I'm not really all that interested --- though if I stumbled on an Andrew Hill title like "Black Fire", I'd probably bite.

I smiled when I read what you posted about not having a turntable. Some years ago, I saw that CD's were replacing new records in the music stores and disposed of my turntable, AND my records for peanuts, moving into the future of music I reasoned. Part of the equation was that I was moving and was culling my belongings. Luckily I kept the rest of my sound system, an old one which was compatable to my newly acquired CD player.

Fast-forward to about four years ago.

A dear New York friend has collected vinyl for decades and I was living in CA. He gave me a few vinyl quests, since I had a few really good sources where I was living. I began my search and, well, fell in love with the familiar great covers and unique sound of the records I was finding and sending to him. He burned CD's for me, for which I was so grateful.

Then, when I moved to Calgary I discovered a second-hand shop, just a block away. Imagine my surprise and delight to discover, for FREE [no pricetag and I was buying bookshelves] a turntable, in excellent condition which is compatable with my sound system. That's when my obsession with vinyl was re-kindled and continues to flame delightfully. :wub:

I now have around a thousand LP's, as well as a pretty good CD collection. The format that I seldom buy, or play is audio-cassette, although I have a few.

So, Rooster Ties, look for a turntable. Trust me, you'll be glad you did. There's one out there with your name on it.:D

Edited by patricia

... plus, there are still some excellent sessions that you can only get by finding a used LP. Both eBay and gemm.com are good for used LPs.

I must admit, though, that I transfer my LPs to CDr for convenience when playing them, and, I can't tell the difference in sound. Musicmatch does a superb job with analog to digital.

• 1 year later...

Up. Can anyone tell us more about these reissues. I have just picked 'Unity' on Ebay and I may buy some more of these if they are worth it. Any info?

I assume they are Scopio pruduct and I always pass them by. "Unless stated otherwise, it should be assumed that our reissues have been digitally remastered (usually) from a digital audio tape/D.A.T. provided to us by the label."

Eric

I smiled when I read what you posted about not having a turntable. Some years ago, I saw that CD's were replacing new records in the music stores and disposed of my turntable, AND my records for peanuts, moving into the future of music I reasoned. Part of the equation was that I was moving and was culling my belongings. Luckily I kept the rest of my sound system, an old one which was compatable to my newly acquired CD player.

Fast-forward to about four years ago.

A dear New York friend has collected vinyl for decades and I was living in CA. He gave me a few vinyl quests, since I had a few really good sources where I was living. I began my search and, well, fell in love with the familiar great covers and unique sound of the records I was finding and sending to him. He burned CD's for me, for which I was so grateful.

Then, when I moved to Calgary I discovered a second-hand shop, just a block away. Imagine my surprise and delight to discover, for FREE [no pricetag and I was buying bookshelves] a turntable, in excellent condition which is compatable with my sound system. That's when my obsession with vinyl was re-kindled and continues to flame delightfully. :wub:

I now have around a thousand LP's, as well as a pretty good CD collection. The format that I seldom buy, or play is audio-cassette, although I have a few.

I LOVE audio-cassettes (home-taped that is.) :(

• 1 year later...

LEEWAY IS ABSOUTELY RIGHT- THEY ARE PRICES AROUND 10 BUCKS, 10.99, 11.99, some of the more obscure ones ive seen for 14.99- in addition to the ones mentioned ive seen a lot of self titled "HANK" and "HANK MOBLEY" albums, Charismas another that keeps poppin up- now i have to admit ive been tempted to start buyin these but i dunno- i would really like a copy of chrasma on vinyl, but hell-

he is right about how they are exact copies more or less w/ no distrib. info- none of the record stores here even wanna tell u more info cause they want u to buy theirs....