New 1962 Coltrane boots from Spain

jazzbo

Out this week are two new "bootleg" cds from Gambit and Rare Live Recordings. Worlds Records has them now, I'm sure they'll show up elsewhere soon, probably available for a bit already in Europe (?)

Milan, 1962

Coltrane,John_The%201962%20Milan%20Concert_8436006496523.jpg

All tracks previously unissued. All surviving tracks from the 1962 Milan concert by the classic John Coltrane quartet. As a bonus, two previously unheard tracks from the Olympia concert performed a few weeks earlier and an equally unissued set in Montreal from the following year. All of this music appears here for the first time ever on any format.

Birdland 1962

41SyeuI62pL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

post-83-1254332556_thumb.png

post-83-1254332620_thumb.png

Edited by jazzbo

Another new 1962 recording, this one from Bud Powell, Hot Club in Geneva appearance

113948712.jpg

A previously unknown concert by Bud Powell recorded at a club in Switzerland in 1962. Although Bud's playing had become somewhat erratic, this was one of the rare times in which everything seemed to fit just right. Two outstanding duets by Bud with tenor saxophonist Johnny Griffin, recorded in Paris in 1960, have been added as a bonus.

Another new 1962 recording, this one from Bud Powell, Hot Club in Geneva appearance

113948712.jpg

A previously unknown concert by Bud Powell recorded at a club in Switzerland in 1962. Although Bud's playing had become somewhat erratic, this was one of the rare times in which everything seemed to fit just right. Two outstanding duets by Bud with tenor saxophonist Johnny Griffin, recorded in Paris in 1960, have been added as a bonus.

this was issued before on the "norma" label nocd 5661 in japan. and the two bonus tracks on "xanadu" 102 "bud powell trio in paris" and also on two other "xanadu" japan issues back in the 80´s.

keep boppin´

marcel

On the Trane, how unheard is "unheard" in terms of what's been around "collector's circles"?

I haven't seen the Coltrane in any discography yet. So it most likely surfaced very recently.

Now if we could only hear those California recordings of the 1961 sextet with Wes Montgomery and Dolphy!

I think/thought that the Birdland 62 material was the basis of a Le Jazz CD. The new release seems to be claiming to be more complete (8 tracks as opposed to 4 or 6). I didn't check this out thoroughly but I think basically that some but not all of this material was on the Le Jazz CD. The Milan stuff I don't know about.

Now that I take a closer look at the track listing, the Birdland set looks like a bit of a botch job...

Half an hour of previously unissued Coltrane & Dolphy!!

This Edition presents, for the first time ever on a single collection, John Coltrane’s two 1962 Birland performances with Eric Dolphy in their entirety, including the previously unissued February 16 broadcast.

JOHN COLTRANE (ts, ss), ERIC DOLPHY (as, fl, b-cl), McCOY TYNER (p), JIMMY GARRISON (b), & ELVIN JONES (d)

All tracks recorded at Birdland, New York.

[1-3]: February 9, 1962

[4-8]: February 16, 1962

1.Mr. PC (11:15) - 2. Mile’s Mode (aka Red Planet) (10:32), 3. My Favorite Things (18:52) - 4. Announcement bySymphony Sid * (1:01) - 5. The Inchworm* (7:12) -6. Mr, PC (7:25) - 7. Announcement by Symphony Sid* (0:55) 8. My Favorite Things (13:17)*

* PREVIOUSLY UNISSUED

Total Time: 70:52

So, this set includes (yet again) the February 9 session which has already turned up on countless other boots and was officially issued by Pablo on their European Tours box, where it's mistakenly attributed to Hamburg, November 25, 1962.

However, it doesn't include the Birdland session of June 2, 1962, so not the 'Complete' 1962 Birdland stuff at all... unless they mean the complete 'with Dolphy' as Eric isn't on the June session. These Andorrans get cunning with their descriptions of things.

I suspect there are more 'Unreleased recordings' in the pipeline (the 1963 Birdland sessions will surely follow).