Hendrix catalog to be handled by Sony Legacy

jazzbo

From www.experiencehendrix.com

Legacy Recordings Preparing For 2010 Launch of Monumental Jimi Hendrix Catalog Project Including Deluxe, Expanded Editions of Titles Released During Jimi's Meteoric Career, Never Before Heard Studio Recordings, Alternate Versions of Classics, One of a Kind 'Live and In Concert' Performances and More

Sony Music Entertainment and Experience Hendrix L.L.C. have agreed to a monumental catalog licensing deal to set the stage for a worldwide campaign to make all of Jimi's extraordinary music, including classics, never before heard archive recordings, and filmed concerts available through every type of media.

Legacy Recordings, Sony's catalog music division, will issue definitive deluxe editions of the classics released during Jimi's all too brief career including GRAMMYr Hall Of Fame Inductees "Are You Experienced", "Axis: Bold As Love", "Electric Ladyland" and (outside the US) "Band of Gypsys." In addition, Legacy will also release those posthumous compilations produced by Experience Hendrix during its stewardship. Each title will also be available through major Digital Service Providers.

Dagger Records, Experience Hendrix's "official bootleg" division, now in its eleventh year, offers recordings that are of great historical significance. The company has also sponsored numerous Experience Hendrix tours that have showcased contemporary artists performing the music of Jimi Hendrix in concert to underscore the never ending vitality and inspiration of Hendrix's music. Participating artists on these tours have included Robert Randolph, Carlos Santana, Paul Rodgers, Buddy Guy, Jonny Lang, Eric Johnson, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, members of Pearl Jam, Aerosmith, the Doors, Los Lobos and many others. Details about the 2010 Experience Hendrix Tour will soon be revealed. This historic partnership will include Legacy's participation in Dagger Records, the Experience Hendrix tours and other Hendrix-related businesses.

"Jimi's legacy and vision were unique and there will never be another that reaches his unparalleled genius. He was the greatest guitarist ever," said Janie Hendrix, President and CEO of Experience Hendrix. "We are confident that our new relationship with Sony Music will honor my beloved brother's legacy and will deliver Jimi's special 'Message Of Love' across the globe. We look forward to the creative partnership and ground breaking releases that this new relationship will engender to bring Jimi's music to successive generations of fans."

"No artist has ever transformed the pop music landscape as profoundly or as permanently as Jimi Hendrix," said Adam Block, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Legacy Recordings. "We are proud to be partnering with Experience Hendrix, keeping the sound and spirit of Jimi's music alive for future generations around the world."

About Legacy Recordings

The multiple Grammy-winning Legacy Recordings, Sony Music Entertainment's catalog division, produces and maintains the world's foremost catalog of historic reissues, an unparalleled compendium of thousands of digitally re-mastered archival titles representing virtually every musical genre including popular, rock, jazz, blues, R&B, folk, country, gospel, Broadway musicals, movie soundtracks, ethnic, world music, classical, comedy and more.

About Experience Hendrix L.L.C.

Founded by James 'Al' Hendrix, Jimi's father, in 1995, Experience Hendrix, has been managed since its inception by the family members handpicked by Al during his tenure as Chairman. It is the official family company charged with managing the music, name, image and likeness of Jimi Hendrix. As a part of their daily operations, Experience Hendrix and Authentic Hendrix oversee Jimi's timeless legacy on a worldwide basis.

For more information, please contact:

Tom Cording

VP of Media Relations

Sony Music - Legacy

550 Madison Ave. - 17th floor

NY, NY 10022

tom.cording@sonymusic.com

"No artist has ever transformed the pop music landscape as profoundly or as permanently as Jimi Hendrix," said Adam Block, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Legacy Recordings. "We are proud to be partnering with Experience Hendrix, keeping the sound and spirit of Jimi's music alive for future generations around the world."

More like "No artist has had his musical legacy tarnished as profoundly as Jimi Hendrix." Call me skeptical.

I agree this won't mean much. We'll be asked to buy the "humous" items again, and they'll take over the helm of Dagger and we won't see much that is different. Seems a sign that this is more comfortable for the family than trying to independently do all they've done.

'(outside the US) "Band of Gypsys."'

Huh? Why outside the US? Who owns US rights to this?

Capital (EMI) I think.IIRC they discovered they had an old contract with Hendrix for one record and he gave them this to fulfill it. Was it the last record released in his lifetime?

A few weeks ago Gibson guitars announced their version of Hendrix Family approved Strats - no kiddin'

<_<

I'm not sure it's possible to get much cheesier than this. The fact Gibson would be a party to this charade does not speak well of them. Hendrix must be spinning in his grave.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

A few weeks ago Gibson guitars announced their version of Hendrix Family approved Strats - no kiddin'

<_<

I'm not sure it's possible to get much cheesier than this. The fact Gibson would be a party to this charade does not speak well of them. Hendrix must be spinning in his grave.

Up over and out.

I think Gibson kinda went the cheesey route a while ago when they basically give anyone that was ever near a Gibson their own signature model, although this is a new low.

Edited by Cliff Englewood

Capital (EMI) I think.IIRC they discovered they had an old contract with Hendrix for one record and he gave them this to fulfill it. Was it the last record released in his lifetime?

Re contract: correct. He signed it when he backed Lonnie Youngblood. Re last record: also correct.

Re contract: correct. He signed it when he backed Lonnie Youngblood. Re last record: also correct.

Hendrix signed a crooked, unread $1 contract with Ed Chalpin.

Well, on the plus side, Sony can't screw up the sound any worse that Experience Hendrix already has. Their current CDs of "Are You Experienced" and "Electric Ladyland" are so maximized, they are fatiguing with headphones. Listening to them with headphones is like letting someone take a drill to your eardrum.

Well, on the plus side, Sony can't screw up the sound any worse that Experience Hendrix already has. Their current CDs of "Are You Experienced" and "Electric Ladyland" are so maximized, they are fatiguing with headphones. Listening to them with headphones is like letting someone take a drill to your eardrum.

Well I never listen with headphones if I can help it. I think these Kramer releases sound so much better than any earlier cd release it's not funny. They sound like the music I remember, while the MCA ones sound like something different.

Well I never listen with headphones if I can help it. I think these Kramer releases sound so much better than any earlier cd release it's not funny. They sound like the music I remember, while the MCA ones sound like something different.

I agree with Kevin; those Experience Hendrix remasters of the early albums sounded awful on my system (no headphones), maximized and very fatiguing. I sold them as fast as I could.

Edited by J.A.W.

I just recently stocked up my Hendrix... sounded fine to me, on headphones and played effing loud anyway :)

Not sure I'm talking of the same editions, they usually have MCA and EH logos on the trays and fat booklets with some nice notes and stuff. Got the three studio albums, Gypsy & Fillmore, BBC, Monterey, the two compilations (Saturn and First Rays), as well as the 4CD set. Don't think I'll re-buy anything too soon...

Hmmm...this is interesting. I've come to Jimi only lately. In fact, I picked up my first set of his this week.

refdp_image_0.jpg

This stuff sounds great to me. I don't have any of the Experience Hendrix studio albums issued in 1997, but I've heard elsewhere that they are pretty decent. Oh, I'm sure there are Japanese releases costing an arm and a leg that sound better...but isn't that always the case.

The stuff I've heard that one should avoid like the plague is the stuff supervised by Alan Douglas who brought in studio musicians to "help" finish studio recordings and Reprise releasing everything under the sun that is unfinished and bastardized, and then MCA trying to fix all the screw-ups of MCA and Douglas.

For alternative takes and live cuts, though, I'm really enjoying the 4-CD box set pictured above. Anybody else have this one? Dissatisfied with it? If so, what should I be looking into? (as it sounds mighty fine to me).