ever been kicked off an internet group?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

but seriously, I'm feeling better now because:

1) I'm not the only one to whom this has happened

2) almost no one has taken his opportunity to kick me while I'm down or (though they're probably thinking it) tell me, in essence, that the chicken's have come home to roost -

I feel so virtuous.

the 78 list tossed me when I objected to their weird "white guys invented jazz" thing.

Sounds like being banned from that place would be an honor, not a problem.

Personally, I always thought Mike Fitzgerald was a nice guy, but I'll admit that running a jazz board seems to give some people an odd personality twist. I mean, Mike Ricci, and Lois at whatever that jazz board was are probably nice as well, but some of their board rules make their sites intolerable to me.

And don't get me started on that Jim Alfredson character... ;)

I was booted off AAJ years ago for reasons that are still unclear to me. I asked owner Ricci why but didn't get an answer. Oh well...

Consider it a compliment to your knowledge and taste. I kicked myself off of that site ages ago.

I just look at the musician's forums, nothing else has much zing over there.

I must say that my long-time experience with Mike Fitzgerald has always been positive. I admire the work he does and understand why he may sometimes have to put his foot down. The corner woman and all that jazz is quite another matter. Does anyone remember a New York jazz spot called Michael's Pub? It was managed (owned) by a rude s.o.b. who tainted the club's atmosphere to the point where it became a chore having to go there, even if a favorite was appearing. The bastard deserved to go out of business and I don't think a single tear was shed in the jazz community. Anyone remember that place?

I never went there, but isn't that where Woody Allen was doing his thing (also Steve Allen worked there once or twice)?

like I said I think Mike has done good work - but all the life has gone out of Jazz Research due to his hall-monitor attitude. There are some occasional interesting things - also, I have noticed that he plays favorites a bit, will tolerate certain things from more established people but will censor things from people he considers to be more of his peers (or will let things go if he agrees with the post; note the idiot psychologist on the list, Judith Schlessinger) -

and just so you know, Chris, by posting here about his forum you have, at least under what he told me, violated his rules which, according to his email, are that NO MENTION may be made of Jazz Research outside of that list. I kid you not. Sorry, but I will have to report you.....

Edited by AllenLowe

I must say that my long-time experience with Mike Fitzgerald has always been positive. I admire the work he does and understand why he may sometimes have to put his foot down. The corner woman and all that jazz is quite another matter. Does anyone remember a New York jazz spot called Michael's Pub? It was managed (owned) by a rude s.o.b. who tainted the club's atmosphere to the point where it became a chore having to go there, even if a favorite was appearing. The bastard deserved to go out of business and I don't think a single tear was shed in the jazz community. Anyone remember that place?
I certainly do. I worked there with Hadda Brooks, a great singer-pianist from L.A., for a month in '94. Gil Wiest is his name (the brother of actress Dianne)---and his reputation preceded him. He gave myself and Ms. Brooks the hardest time he could----but we never took the bait. She was such a great singer (and my friend Morris Edwards was on the gig on bass) that we just pulled together, ignored his BS and made the best music we could. It was a memorable experience. And next time I saw Mr. Wiest he had nothing but respect for me. One good thing about that place was it was open-ended in terms of long engagements---not too many joints like that in NY anymore. In fact Morris and I were looking for him to try to scare up another gig. Edited by fasstrack

With Jazz Research he clearly did not not want me to even REFER to it anywhere else. This is just not acceptable to me.

You ever stop to think that maybe he wanted to keep the group private & not have amateurs & hobbyists knocking about, which any time you say the words "jazz research" you are sure to get? That's not an intrinsically bad thing, and I don't think he would say that it is, But from what I can gather, he wants this group to be limited to people with serious chops and credentials, and to that I say, yeah, right on. It is his thing after all.

Oh yeah, right... that's not acceptable to you, so now what are you doing? Using a public forum to discuss a private one and vent against it's "owner" using "has this ever happened to you?" as a premise.

Kinda sounds like a temper tantrum to me, but hey, I'm old-fashioned that way.

With Jazz Research he clearly did not not want me to even REFER to it anywhere else. This is just not acceptable to me.

You ever stop to think that maybe he wanted to keep the group private & not have amateurs & hobbyists knocking about, which any time you say the words "jazz research" you are sure to get? That's not an intrinsically bad thing, and I don't think he would say that it is, But from what I can gather, he wants this group to be limited to people with serious chops and credentials, and to that I say, yeah, right on. It is his thing after all.

Oh yeah, right... that's not acceptable to you, so now what are you doing? Using a public forum to discuss a private one and vent against it's "owner" using "has this ever happened to you?" as a premise.

Kinda sounds like a temper tantrum to me, but hey, I'm old-fashioned that way.

It's the same ole air the dirty laundry shit - character assassination.