Charles Mingus

mikelz777

61kSc7iIzBL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I just purchased Charles Mingus's "Ah Um 50th Anniversary Legacy Edition" to replace the copy of "Ah Um" I regret having sold years ago. This particular CD is actually a two-fer containing "Ah Um" and "Mingus Dynasty". I don't ever see myself going real deep into Mingus but I think I'd like more than the current zero Mingus titles in my collection before this re-buy. What would you recommend as the top 5 Mingus titles that no one should miss? (I'm already kind of eyeballing "Mingus At Antibes" and "A Night At Cafe Bohemia".)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's really hard for me because I have every bit of Mingus I could find, official and unofficial, and your taste and mine are not always congruent.

I'll say don't skip "East Coasting" on Bethlehem or "Mingus Plays Piano" on Impulse. Those are wonderful. And you may really dig "Blues and Roots" on Atlantic.

Mingus went through many phases, with many different types of sounds. From his early period, which encompasses his early Atlantics, I like Mingus at the Bohemia, Pithecanthropus Erectus and Tijuana Moods. From his middle period, through the mid-60's, the Columbias are probably the most polished and exciting. Props should be given to Oh Yeah!, since it really captures his personality. I don't care for a lot of the Candids because I don't care for Eric Dolphy, and I also don't care for the Impulses because they're either too ragged (Mingus Mingus Mingus) or meandering (Black Saint). For the later period ('70's), I love the The Complete America Session and the Lionel Hampton session.

there are only 2 real Candid albums - other stuff released, but only two formal LPs -

Note that in your orinal post, you said "both" Candid sessions. I replied that there are more than 2 sessions, not albums.

So are we talking about:

Charles Mingus Presents Charles Mingus

Mysterious Blues

Reincarnation of a Lovebird ?

there are only 2 real Candid albums - other stuff released, but only two formal LPs -

Note that in your orinal post, you said "both" Candid sessions. I replied that there are more than 2 sessions, not albums.

So are we talking about:

Mysterious Blues

One more:

41916T36JJL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

He's also on something called "Newport Rebels," but that isn't considered a pure "Mingus" session.

So are we talking about:

Mysterious Blues

Mingus recorded only twice for Candid - Oct 20 and Nov 11, 1960. This material is now spread over 4 discs. The best material is on the 2 original issues called Mingus and Charles Mingus Presents Charles Mingus.

So are we talking about:

Mysterious Blues

Mingus recorded only twice for Candid - Oct 20 and Nov 11, 1960. This material is now spread over 4 discs. The best material is on the 2 original issues called Mingus and Charles Mingus Presents Charles Mingus.

All well and dandy, but my point, however inconsequential it may seem, is that one session does not necessarily correspond to only one album, and vice versa.

Just trying to point out the error of Mr. Lowe's ways.

Edited by JETman

Does that Legacy edition listed in the first post include the tracks as Mingus originally edited them, or are they the full-length versions?

This is per the AllMusic review:

"...this two-disc set has not only the entirety of the original album [Ah Um], using unedited versions of four tracks that were shortened on the 1959 LP release, but it also has three outtakes; alternate takes of "Bird Calls," "Better Git It in Your Soul," and "Jelly Roll"; the entirety of the other album he cut for Columbia in 1959, Mingus Dynasty (with unedited versions of five tracks shortened on the original LP release); and even a bonus track from the Mingus Dynasty sessions with a Honey Gordon vocal, "Strollin' (Nostalgia in Times Square)." It adds up to about two and a half hours of music..."

Edited by mikelz777

Does that Legacy edition listed in the first post include the tracks as Mingus originally edited them, or are they the full-length versions?

I believe they are the full length versions that were originally released on the Complete 1959 Columbia Recordings 3 cd Sony/Legacy set and Mosaic lp set.

Thanks. So it looks like I will need to hang on to my 80s pressings of the CDs - and mono LPs.

Why not get and keep both?

Music that isn't the artists' vision is not necessarily bad. Obviously, things like amount of music allowed on an lp and other factors often entered into editing decisions.

FWIW, these unedited versions are excellent, and do not suffer from the recent decision to expand, rather than remain true to, the original lp.

Why not get and keep both?

Music that isn't the artists' vision is not necessarily bad. Obviously, things like amount of music allowed on an lp and other factors often entered into editing decisions.

FWIW, these unedited versions are excellent, and do not suffer from the recent decision to expand, rather than remain true to, the original lp.

I generally agree with you.

I have all the expanded and unreleased stuff from those two albums on a Columbia collection called "Nostalgia in Times Square." I certainly like having and hearing the full length stuff.

The thing is, though, that Mingus went into those sessions knowing that he would record more than he would use. The original albums reflected his conception of how they should sound. The expanded "Mingus Ah Um," which I also have, simply doesn't have the same pacing as the original. I'm glad the full length performances are out there, but I feel they should supplement Mingus's original albums rather than replace them, IMHO.