The Complete Recordings of the Stan Getz Quintet

Sundog

yes, nowadays all the material is available on cd I believe. There is this Definitive, there is the Getz Roost and Roulette box set from Blue Note (which actually contains more live material in better sound than the Mosaic) . . . .

I'd offer to sell you my Mosaic set if I could reach the box! (It's buried deep between a book case and a wall with a dresser in front of it with hundreds of pounds of magazines and books and cds and records within and on top of it).

I'd offer to sell you my Mosaic set if I could reach the box! (It's buried deep between a book case and a wall with a dresser in front of it with hundreds of pounds of magazines and books and cds and records within and on top of it).

Sounds like you've got a bit of work ahead of you :wacko:

yes, nowadays all the material is available on cd I believe.  There is this Definitive, there is the Getz Roost and Roulette box set from Blue Note (which actually contains more live material in better sound than the Mosaic) . . . . 

I'm more interested in the music, than the collectable aspect of the Mosaic Box. I appreciate your candor regarding the sound quality of the Blue Note Box as compared to the Mosaic. It looks like this is the way to go for me. In addition to the sound quality, the BN box includes contains "Parker 51" which for me is essential.

P.S. If you ever happen to find an extra Serge Chaloff Mosaic lying around at the bottom of that pile.... B)

Probably no need to add my one cent to what Lon has said but the Roost material is considered better than what's on the Mosaic (although I enjoy them both). I remember there was a semi extensive discussion about this about a year and a half or so on you know where.

COP STAN GETZ QUINTET "Birdland Sessions 1952" Fresh Sound Records

The greatest.

DEEP

I wonder if the tenor on that session is the one my pops (Arno Marsh) is playing on now? Last year my father inherited a 1952 Selmer Mark VI, originally owned by Stan Getz, from a horn collector who, before passing away from a severe accident or illness, willed the horn to him. My dad says it's the best playin' horn he's ever had! :tup

I've always had a soft spot for Stan Getz plays. He plays with a soft tone (even for him) To me his tone, among other things, was different than his playing into the 1970's. In the same way, Bill Evans' playing became louder (more notes) than his earlier playing. You would think age mellows, but these two guys played harder as they got older. Art Pepper is another example.

The Stan Getz Quintet I grew up with was the one with Bob Brookmeyer and Johnny Williams. Wish that Verve or Mosaic would release the few albums that THAT quintet recorded! If you can get hold of the Getz at the Shrine 1954 album which was reissued a few years ago, grab it and enjoy!