McDonalds/McCafe

BeBop

McDonalds is opening a McCafe in the SF Bay Area (Mountain View, I think) with great fanfare. The local press is all covering this as if is something truly groundbreaking - Starbucks-style coffee and espresso drinks at McDonalds. Yet I can clearly remember visiting McDonalds in Seattle 10-plus years ago, Hungary 10-plus years ago, Madrid several years ago, Frankfurt many years ago (et cetera) and seeing espresso and such on the menu. So what's the big deal?

Frankly, my question has less to do with McDonalds and more to do with marketing. Perhaps during the long period since I've been to a McDonalds, these products have disappeared and are now being reintroduced. Any thoughts?

What's next, trying to pass off beer as a novel McDonalds offering? (Beer's on the menu many places.)

I remember maybe 5-10 years ago McDonalds introduced a "fresher, bolder coffee". obviously like Starbucks. I tried it a few times and it wasn't all that bad. Guess they need to remarket it?? I'll be happy if they would just, mercifully, stop those awful new TV commercials, the one with the rap or whatever it is, with people saying "I'm loving it"

If it's true that McDonalds is the outfit behind Chipotle, then all is forgiven!

McDonalds has close to 50% interest in Chipotle. Can't remember if it's like 40%, or 60%. There's a few of them around here, in Kansas City. They're good (and much better than McDonalds, that's for sure), but there are a couple other similar places around here that I like better than Chipotle.

Well, "better" is relative, I suppose. The thing about Chipotle is that all the ingredients are fresh, the guacamole superb, and one burrito properly supplied will keep you full for a day at a price of less than 7 bucks. The suckers are huge and good!

If you're looking for a classic Tex-Mex experience, yeah, look elsewhere. But for a tasty bigass burrito that will get you full and keep you full, Chipotle has no competition.

If it's true that McDonalds is the outfit behind Chipotle, then all is forgiven!

My sister just got a supervisory job with this company in Minnesota. She said she has been very impressed with the way they run their business, including employer-employee relations, community involvement, and working with local farmers to provide all those fresh ingrediants. They gave her hiring bonuses for her degree, language skills and prior restaurant experience. She said that the backing from McDonald's allow the company to do business with an interest towards more than just the bottom line.

Still have't seen any in my area, though.

Rooster Ties, your avatar man looks decidedly much happier before he has shaved. Almost like shaving made him sad. I don't know what the point of this post is. Sorry....

Rooster Ties, your avatar man looks decidedly like Ben Affleck. I don't know what the point of this post is... other than curiosity...

I know from the Jack in the Box TV commercials that they pronounced it:

Chee poat lay

Works for me.  :D

Ya mean it ain't "Chip-pot-lee"?

See, I can't even say it right. :lol:

Don't worry, Jazz, stream of consciousness is fun. It worked for Kerouac. :tup

That's my favorite Jack in the Box commercial too. I think the guy called it Junk in a Box. :lol:

I know from the Jack in the Box TV commercials that they pronounced it:

Chee poat lay

Works for me.  :D

That's because it's right!

With accents in place, it's more like Cheh POAT (leh), unless you're speaking Castillian, in which case, I don't know.

As devotees of Southwestern Cuisine know, it's a smoked jalapeno, often used in sauces and relishes/garnishes.

Edited by JSngry