BFT #71 Signup Thread

jeffcrom

Okay, time to sign up for January's Blindfold Test. Yes, there is a theme, and I hope it will be interesting - the first eleven tracks will be a stroll through the history of jazz: one recording from each decade from 1900 to 2010. (Since the first jazz recordings were arguably not made until 1917, the first couple of tracks could be considered pre-jazz.) Many (but not all) of these recordings will feature major figures and illustrate some major trend that was going on in jazz at the time. There will also be half a dozen or so "bonus tracks" that don't fit into the theme, but that I just find interesting. Everything will fit onto one CD.

Don't worry if you don't feel you will be able to identify musicians/tracks from one era or another. Some of these recordings will probably be familiar to quite a few folks; others are so obscure that I don't really expect anyone to identify them - but that's not the point, anyway. I'm not out to "stump" anyone, and I don't want this BFT to turn into a guessing game. I want to present some good music that you may or not know, and I'm interested in your reactions. I'd love to get a good discussion going about the music.

I'll offer the music three ways: a zipped download, straight MP3 downloads of each track from my website, or a physical CD. I'll send every participant the web addresses for the downloads; let me know if you want a CD. BFT #71 will begin on January 1 (or Jan. 2 if I don't have my act together), assuming that Durium has revealed his selections by that time.

Looking forward to sharing some cool music with you.

Edited by jeffcrom