John Norris R.I.P

Peter Friedman

John Norris of Toronto, Canada died today of a stroke.

John was the founder and first editor and publisher of CODA Magazine. John was also the owner

and founder of Sackville Records.

John was one of my closest friends for roughly 40 years. He spent almost his entire adult life in the jazz world

in a variety of capacities. I had planned to visit him in Toronto this summer. I will miss him greatly.

Edited by Peter Friedman

Oh,no! He was a great guy. Used to spend a lot of time with him when I first moved to Toronto and he was working at Sam's. Talked to him on the phone fairly often after I moved to LA. (To the best of my knowledge he never did get e-mail.) I guess I'm at that age where I shouldn't be surprised to hear that a friend has died but it' still a shock. I'll really miss him.

John Norris, founder of CODA, Canada's Jazz Magazine more than 50 years ago; and co-founder with Bill Smith of Sackville Records, died Sunday evening, January 31...heart-related. He had just passed his 76th birthday in early January.

His wife Sandy says there'll be no traditional service, but later a memorial service, and I'm sure there'll be Jazz! Though not a musician, he lived The Jazz Life, dedicating himself totally to jazz, and using all his knowledge and resources for the music.

Sorry -- I've just noticed that Peter Friedman has already passed on the word...

Please refer to his posting from a couple of hours back. Peter and I, and many others are long-time friends of John's...

Edited by Ted O'Reilly

I bought many records and CD's from John over the years, first at the Jazz and Blues Centre in Toronto he co-owned with Bill Smith, and later by mail- order. I saw him last summer after several years and I was shocked by the decline in his health. Beyond his obvious love for jazz, John was a tireless worker on behalf of jazz and a man of integrity in his dealings with customers. He will be missed but I am glad that John and Sackville records went out on a high note with their most recent release - a beautiful solo recording by pianist Rosanno Sportiello, "It Amazes Me."

I first met John in 1959 when he was doing a nightly jazz program for CHFI, one of Toronto's early FM stations. John was always a totally dedicated champion of jazz and its creators. He was also a man of great integrity who could not abide any sort of compromise when it came to the music he loved. He will be sorely missed by his many friends. We'll keep John's chair open at our Friday noon-hour gatherings at the Imperial Pub.

Like Peter, I knew John for more than 40 years. He was one of the first people I met after arriving in TO from the UK. Soon after I met him at Sam's, he invited me for dinner and thereafter for numerous wonderful Christmas dinners.He was an uncompromising supporter of "what was right", a man greatly respected by musicians, who knew he would always look out for their interests and in many ways he bares comparison with Norman Granz. I shall miss him greatly.

I'm saddened to learn of John Norris' death. I just interviewed him for All About Jazz New York last fall and it was published in the February 2010 issue.

I just finished reading your article Ken, then I see this.

Another one of the good guys gone.

I used to visit the Jazz and Blues Centre quite often when I was younger and making road trips to Toronto.

A wonderful advocate for the music and great guy he was.

Guest Bill Barton

Oh, man, sad news indeed. R.I.P., John Norris.

My condolences to his family and many long-time friends including Peter, Chuck, Chris, Ted and others here on the board.

I didn't know John very well but the few times I met him are very nice memories. Back when I still lived in Vermont he was a guest on my radio show at WNCS, bringing along a batch of new Sackville releases and talking with great love and extensive knowledge of the music.

One of the best recollections I have was when I was his guest at the taping of one of the sessions that went into the Bones Blues CD by the Pete Magadini/Don Menza group at Claudio's in Montreal. Great music, great conversations...

As others have said, a man of great integrity and vision.

He will be missed. What a legacy! Sackville, Coda, The Jazz and Blues Centre...

Edited by Bill Barton

My condolences to his family and many long-time friends including Peter, Chuck, Chris, Ted and others here on the board.

I didn't know John very well but the few times I met him are very nice memories. Back when I still lived in Vermont he was a guest on my radio show at WNCS, bringing along a batch of new Sackville releases and talking with great love and extensive knowledge of the music.

One of the best recollections I have was when I was his guest at the taping of one of the sessions that went into the Bones Blues CD by the Pete Magadini/Don Menza group at Claudio's in Montreal. Great music, great conversations...

Bill, you're mixing up the two albums that M/M quartet made: "Bones Blues" was the studio effort (Sackville CD2-4004, from 1977) and "Live at Claudio's" from the Montreal club (Sackville SKCD2-3052, 1991). Don Menza, tenor; Pete Magadini, drums; Wray Downes, piano; Dave Young, bass.

You KNOW that John would want me to correct you... ^_^

Guest Bill Barton

Bill, you're mixing up the two albums that M/M quartet made: "Bones Blues" was the studio effort (Sackville CD2-4004, from 1977) and "Live at Claudio's" from the Montreal club (Sackville SKCD2-3052, 1991). Don Menza, tenor; Pete Magadini, drums; Wray Downes, piano; Dave Young, bass.

You KNOW that John would want me to correct you... ^_^

Oops! Right you are, Ted...

I'm saddened to learn of John Norris' death. I just interviewed him for All About Jazz New York last fall and it was published in the February 2010 issue.

Ken, I've just read your fine AAJ article. You've caught John very well, noting his enthusiasm and attitude and knowledge.

As a small independent, the Sackville label operated from his house, and I was over there an hour ago, helping his widow Sandi to consider next steps. Yet to be decided is what to do with the CDs he wanted to issue, including the Bickert/Lofsky that I own, and was just about to be manufactured.

Sandi says there'll be a celebration of his life (with music, of course!) in the spring.

VALE JOHN NORRIS,

Back in the 1980's I recieved a rather polite letter from John who I was aware of via buying vynil records of his releases . He was intersted in aquiring from me as the producer "PARTNERS IN CRIME" (Bob Barnard & Ralph Sutton).I went on to distribute Sackville here in Australia. A few years later he took "EASY STREET" from me (BARNARD & SUTTON again )two really good recordings that recieved international accolade.

We met in 1995 and had a nice time on and about jazz.

He made a wonderfully unique contribution to what is proberably the worlds most exciting musical artform and good for him. The Roster of musicians to benifit from him is amazing.

Vale again & again

VALE JOHN NORRIS,

Back in the 1980's I recieved a rather polite letter from John who I was aware of via buying vynil records of his releases . He was intersted in aquiring from me as the producer "PARTNERS IN CRIME" (Bob Barnard & Ralph Sutton).I went on to distribute Sackville here in Australia. A few years later he took "EASY STREET" from me (BARNARD & SUTTON again )two really good recordings that recieved international accolade.

We met in 1995 and had a nice time on and about jazz.

He made a wonderfully unique contribution to what is proberably the worlds most exciting musical artform and good for him. The Roster of musicians to benifit from him is amazing.

Vale again & again

Not to steer attention away from Mr. Norris, but I hope you'll stick around and join the conversations here. Seems like you might have interesting things to say.

I just finished reading your article Ken, then I see this.

Another one of the good guys gone.

I used to visit the Jazz and Blues Centre quite often when I was younger and making road trips to Toronto.

A wonderful advocate for the music and great guy he was.

Thanks for your kind words, Ted. His death is a great loss to jazz.