A DEEP OLIVE BRANCH TO CHRISTIERN

Guest DEEP (GET ME OUT OF MY SKULL)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I worked at Rusty's with Tom Warrington - bass and Barry Kiener - piano. I think it was around 1978. Kiener & I stayed at some Motel or Inn that she owned in a bad section of town. I heard later that a night watchman or janitor or something got murdered in the office of the place.

We had a real good trio at that time. Kiener "Moved To Vermont" as a result of an overdose. He died right on Buddy Rich's band bus. He got some black tar scagg out of Mexico and took it too far.

We we're doin' great business for Rusty at the time. Warrington is from Toledo so all of his buddies were comin' out to see the group and we were pretty much puttin' the pots on. Warrington was a percussion major in college and Kiener played good drums and some bass too. I play bass and my first instrument was piano.

On our off night the place booked a local trio so we went in to check them out. The crowd was all of their fans and were not necessarily familiar with us. The guys in the band knew who we were and asked us to sit in during their intermission. We accepted the offer. We started out with me on bass, Kiener on drums and Warrington on piano. We played some kinda Bill Evans tune (I think it was Israel) and got some nice applause. Then we switched to me on piano, Warrington on drums and Kiener on bass. We did a blues and the crowd dug it even though they were now gettin' a little confused.

Finally we all went to our first axes, Kiener on piano, Warrington on bass and me on cans. We mugged a little bit and acted like we didn't know what we were doing. The crowd was starting to get real curious. We had this blistering arrangement of OLEO that started out with drums and then Kiener would come in on the head in octaves with the drums. Then when we hit the release the bass joined. We completely unloaded for about 10 minutes. The crowd didn't know what hit them.

It was funny as hell.

Yeah, I miss that trio sometimes. Kiener was a bitch. Too bad he had to show off with that junk. Everything in moderation and in Kiener's case, "ESPECIALLY MODERATION".

DEEP

Edited by DEEP (GET ME OUT OF MY SKULL)

I'd much rather have Deep here than Heaney.  And that's an understatement.

:tup

Dan over Heaney, any time!

Please, Christiern.....would you like to be confused with CHRIS "Heinous" Heaney??

...the name is *DEEP*

DEEP

Please, Christiern.....would you like to be confused with CHRIS "Heinous" Heaney??

...the name is *DEEP*

DEEP

DEEPly sorry.

Maybe we CAN "all just get along"! :tup:wub:

...the name is *DEEP*

DEEP

DEEPly sorry.

Maybe we CAN "all just get along"! :tup:wub:

maren (thetical),

You're stating the obvious. Christiern and I go back a ways and he knows (via a few juicing sessions) that I am not homophobic, nor am I mean spirited. He is well aware that I don't take too much of the internet seriously and that I say things to get a reaction.

With that said:

Stapleton's return would be welcomed by me. After all...how often can you get to discuss British Free Jazz??(I love to talk about Taiwanese Little League averages too....DUH)

DEEP

Hard not to be trivial after something like that, so...whatever happened to Tony Inzalaco?

Wow ..a name from the past ..

I haven't seen him since the early 60s in Lodi NJ ..when I was working in NYC with a singer named Frank D'Rone ..and we camped out a a friends house in Lodi ..and Tony lived there then as I recall ..

I remember doing some hanging with him and Billy Lavorgnia during that peroid .. no info since

speaking of missing drummers ..DEEP you ever run into Eddie Cacavelli in NYC? Hewas before (and after )me on SI Z's band

DEEP you ever run into Eddie Cacavelli in NYC? Hewas before (and after )me on SI Z's band

SGUD,

Of course I know Eddie Cac.

He was with Julius LaRosa.

He wanted to buy some vintage cans from a cat I used to watch and learn from.

Haven't seen Eddie Cac since my Condon days.

DEEP

I did some gigs with Eddie Cacavelli some years back - it's been awhile. Good drummer.

DEEP - Yeah..Tony Inzalaco was from Lodi or Garfield. A lot of the local cats know him - Louis and Lenny for sure. Johnny Dentz is another cat that those guys gigged with way back in the day.

OK, here's a Maynard Ferguson Band story:

Now this band was insane. I don't think I drew a sober breath during my tenure on that band. We were either on booze, grass, Peruvian Marching Powder, pills, acid, and at one time Maynard even got some kind of hormone spray from a doctor and he would make me disrobe before gigs and spray me with the shit.

We made joints the length of the bus.

That was a funny site seeing cats in the aisle of the bus assembling this 20 foot joint.

One time the bus came to a cross walk and was waiting for a red light to turn green. On the corner stood this stumble bum obviously panhandling to cop digit to get himself a taste. We all had jugs in the overhead so somebody yelled "let's give this cat a jug". The response was instantaneous. We all piled off the bus and surrounded this bust out. He was scared as shit. I mean in 1974 the style was the worst of all time, long hair, bell bottoms, beards, sideburns, leather pants...the whole bit.

So we pile out screaming, cheering and jumping up and down around this cat.

He was terrified. Then we handed him a quart of hooch and piled back on the bus.

The light turned green and the bus pulled away. We looked out the back window and this juice head was just reeling with the jug in his hand. He musta thought he died and went to heaven.

DEEP

DO YOUR CHRISTMAS SHOPPING EARLY THIS YEAR.

http://www.whodat.com/audio/dansextet/dimperio.htm

OK, here's a Maynard Ferguson Band story:

Now this band was insane. I don't think I drew a sober breath during my tenure on that band. We were either on booze, grass, Peruvian Marching Powder, pills, acid, and at one time Maynard even got some kind of hormone spray from a doctor and he would make me disrobe before gigs and spray me with the shit.

We made joints the length of the bus.

That was a funny site seeing cats in the aisle of the bus assembling this 20 foot joint.

One time the bus came to a cross walk and was waiting for a red light to turn green. On the corner stood this stumble bum obviously panhandling to cop digit to get himself a taste. We all had jugs in the overhead so somebody yelled "let's give this cat a jug". The response was instantaneous. We all piled off the bus and surrounded this bust out. He was scared as shit. I mean in 1974 the style was the worst of all time, long hair, bell bottoms, beards, sideburns, leather pants...the whole bit.

So we pile out screaming, cheering and jumping up and down around this cat.

He was terrified. Then we handed him a quart of hooch and piled back on the bus.

The light turned green and the bus pulled away. We looked out the back window and this juice head was just reeling with the jug in his hand. He musta thought he died and went to heaven.

DEEP

DO YOUR CHRISTMAS SHOPPING EARLY THIS YEAR.

http://www.whodat.com/audio/dansextet/dimperio.htm

Yo Deepness, that's a great story! :lol: Did you read my post a couple of days ago about Arnst, the club owner in Munich Germany? And did you know the cat?

DEEP you ever run into Eddie Cacavelli in NYC? Hewas before (and after )me on SI Z's band

SGUD,

Of course I know Eddie Cac.

He was with Julius LaRosa.

He wanted to buy some vintage cans from a cat I used to watch and learn from.

Haven't seen Eddie Cac since my Condon days.

DEEP

Weird:

I wonder when he did Julies gig ..?

cuz I did that one too in 65 ..when I wrote some stuff for him ..

John Dentz ..yeh in the 60s with Frankie ( Chico ) Randall , right?

I recall he had a VERY fast set of hands on him .. :blink: