Roger Guérin 1926-2010

brownie

The excellent trumpet player Roger Guérin died Saturday after he fell in water near his home in southern France, the website of the French review Jazz Magazine announced.

Guérin performed brillantly on Martial Solal's Suite en Ré. He was the ever present and ever reliable trumpet player on numerous record sessions with Solal, André Hodeir, Christian Chevalier and Quincy Jones among others.

Roger Guérin appearing with Martial Solal, Michel Gaudry and Daniel Humair in 1960:

Theme à tics

Edited by brownie

Roger Guérin's best album as leader

1503294632798080_1.jpg

was this 1958 date with Benny Golson and Bobby Timmons for French Columbia, recorded in Paris when Blakey's Jazz Messengers (with Lee Morgan) hit town.

The session (minus one track with Martial Solal and Michel Hauser subbing for Golson and Timmons) showed up on this BN CD 'Benny Golson and the Philadelphians'!

51TVt-a6NQL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Recently Guérin recorded some three albums for a local central France label Oreil. I have heard only one 'Musique à Voir' which sounded not bad at all!

(Did he make albums as a leader, actually?)

Never heard this one, but it appears so.

I've also seen a cover for a 10" record under Guerin's name.

Didn't Guerin also play alto horn?

Guerin plays alto or tenor horn or euphonium or something... on (most of?) the Bernard Peiffer half of the Modern Jazz in St Germain des Pres cd from the Jazz in Paris series. This is one of my favorite JiP cds, Guerin is on both halfs... i clearly prefer his trumpet playing though...

Sad news! Seems like a silly way to go, too!

Indeed a most reliable trumpet player, yet one that doesn't get enough attention, it seems... he must be on dozens of sessions on the Vogue Masters and Jazz in Paris series!

The bonus tracks on the Golson date pale a bit, compared to the main album, but Guerin is mighty good there!

The Guerin sides were also included on an earlier LP (and then CD) on DRG/Swing under Benny Golson's name.

Can anyone provide a pronunciation of his name? I want to get it right if possible.

Roger Guérin's best album as leader

1503294632798080_1.jpg

was this 1958 date with Benny Golson and Bobby Timmons for French Columbia, recorded in Paris when Blakey's Jazz Messengers (with Lee Morgan) hit town.

The session (minus one track with Martial Solal and Michel Hauser subbing for Golson and Timmons) showed up on this BN CD 'Benny Golson and the Philadelphians'!

51TVt-a6NQL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Recently Guérin recorded some three albums for a local central France label Oreil. I have heard only one 'Musique à Voir' which sounded not bad at all!

not sure how to help you about the right pronounciation... both syllables of his name seem to have no counterparts in english at all... best might end up something like "gay-run", but then the "ay" is a straight, open, german/latin/whatever "e" that you don't get in english, and the "run" is one of the typical French ones, ya know? "an", "on", "en", "in"... it all sounds different in French, but it's hard to make the distinction if you're not a natural speaker.

Thanks King ubu and Niko! Much appreciated.

Can anyone provide a pronunciation of his name? I want to get it right if possible.

Guérin would pronounce - very approximately - as Gaerhiiiyn

this day will be remembered as the day when Brownie was mistaken for me :)

Thanks King ubu and Niko! Much appreciated.

Guérin would pronounce - very approximately - as Gaerhiiiyn

this day will be remembered as the day when Brownie was mistaken for me :)

Hope it's going to be a one-day thing only :crazy:

Edited by brownie

• 3 weeks later...