Blow Up by Bobby Hutcherson = Orgasmic Bliss

Teasing the Korean

There's a part early on where Bobby takes the melody to the next chord, and Herbie still hangs on the E for a second (an inherent problem with repetitive tunes) and Herbie hears it and quickly catches up. I love moments like that when my heroes are humanized. It makes me like them even more.

There's a part early on where Bobby takes the melody to the next chord, and Herbie still hangs on the E for a second (an inherent problem with repetitive tunes) and Herbie hears it and quickly catches up. I love moments like that when my heroes are humanized. It makes me like them even more.

Yes! Is that the same moment when the bass player doesn't realize the chord has changed and is still playing the I? That's my favorite part of the song!

Agree with all of the above. I remember when Oblique was a "rare" album. Took me a few years to find it on CD (between the Conn and the RVG).

I don't think that Oblique was ever a Conn. It came out initially as one of those white case issues I think - 'Collector's Choice'? Still have it - and remember the euphoria of coming across it in the racks at a Canadian branch of A&B Sound for $9.99 back in the day ! Picked up the King vinyl years later.

Edited by sidewinder

Agree with all of the above. I remember when Oblique was a "rare" album. Took me a few years to find it on CD (between the Conn and the RVG).

I don't think that Oblique was ever a Conn. It came out initially as one of those white case issues I think - 'Collector's Choice'? Still have it - and remember the euphoria of coming across it in the racks at a Canadian branch of A&B Sound for $9.99 back in the day ! Picked up the King vinyl years later.

You're right; it was a CC - which only means it came and went oop even earlier, with a longer gap until the RVG came out. I love those Hutcherson quartet albums!

You're right; it was a CC - which only means it came and went oop even earlier, with a longer gap until the RVG came out. I love those Hutcherson quartet albums!

I believe the Collectors Choice series were reissues of CD's that had already fallen out of print. Nothing had it's original CD issue in that series. I don't remember if Oblique was a Conn or not, don't think it was.

I love those Hutcherson quartet albums!

:tup :tup :tup :tup

But I'm gonna go out on a limb and very likely be in the minority with this: I reeeeeeeeeeally can't stand the Joe Chambers tracks. They just seem too noisy and outta place for my taste. So I take the first four tracks from OBLIQUE, combine it with the non-Chambers tracks from HAPPENINGS, and I have one helluva pleasurable listening experience!

So I take the first four tracks from OBLIQUE, combine it with the non-Chambers tracks from HAPPENINGS, and I have one helluva pleasurable listening experience!

Of course you mean Components not Happenings , which I assume you like all of except for the last track .

So I take the first four tracks from OBLIQUE, combine it with the non-Chambers tracks from HAPPENINGS, and I have one helluva pleasurable listening experience!

Of course you mean Components not Happenings , which I assume you like all of except for the last track .

Correct on all counts. D'OH!!! :)

Man, I'm all kinds of lost. Let me try this again: I made a disc consisting of the first four tracks of OBLIQUE and all but the last track of HAPPENINGS for a nice disc of Hutch/Herbie! I also did something in a similar vein with DIALOGUE and COMPONENTS, for a nice disc of Hutch in a more free-bop setting.

That wasn't so hard, was it? :D

I made a disc consisting of the first four tracks of OBLIQUE and all but the last track of HAPPENINGS for a nice disc of Hutch/Herbie! I also did something in a similar vein with DIALOGUE and COMPONENTS, for a nice disc of Hutch in a more free-bop setting.

So our dialogue concludes with the recognition that certain components of your initial post were made in error (though not the oblique condemnation of Joe Chambers' compositional abilities), most likely because of some possibly age-related mental happenings .

I really love those Joe Chambers tracks from this period.

I do too, but they certainly are different. Mighty big of Hutch to give Joe so much space on his dates. Nearly an hour of Chambers tunes (in total), if I remember correctly. I intended to make a CDR of all of them once, but never got around to it.

I should at least remind myself of what all those Chambers tunes are (yes, I'm fishing to see if anybody already already has that list handy, or else I'll get to it myself one of these days).

I do too, but they certainly are different. Mighty big of Hutch to give Joe so much space on his dates. Nearly an hour of Chambers tunes (in total), if I remember correctly. I intended to make a CDR of all of them once, but never got around to it.

I should at least remind myself of what all those Chambers tunes are (yes, I'm fishing to see if anybody already already has that list handy, or else I'll get to it myself one of these days).

Third the Chambers tracks. In fact, I like the second half of Components waaay more than the first half.

Third the Chambers tracks. In fact, I like the second half of Components waaay more than the first half.

I'll publicly concur with Al's view, so he doesn't feel too isolated. I've always found those Chambers cuts to be overly difficult.

I just finished spinning "BlowUp" from this. What I love is that Herbie's solo begins with a rather wacky variation of "Maiden Voyage" and at the close he slyly quotes "Cantaloupe Island". I guess with the mistake of hanging on one chord too long the performance and soloing is so good they decided not to do another take.

I'll publicly concur with Al's view, so he doesn't feel too isolated. I've always found those Chambers cuts to be overly difficult.

I rather like the organ tone clusters on "Air". I wonder if "Dialogue", "Components" along with "Some Other Stuff by Grachan Moncur are some of the catalysts for the eventual European free improv movement? Because I hear in these albums a lot more of that kind of European approach to free playing, than say what Trane, Shepp, and Sanders were doing.

Edited by CJ Shearn

I just finished spinning "BlowUp" from this. What I love is that Herbie's solo begins with a rather wacky variation of "Maiden Voyage" and at the close he slyly quotes "Cantaloupe Island". I guess with the mistake of hanging on one chord too long the performance and soloing is so good they decided not to do another take.

I never noticed that before, but now that I think about it, you're right! Way cool!!!

Thanks, Fel "Z"! I'm used to being in the minority when it comes to my boring tastes. :D

I made a disc consisting of the first four tracks of OBLIQUE and all but the last track of HAPPENINGS for a nice disc of Hutch/Herbie! I also did something in a similar vein with DIALOGUE and COMPONENTS, for a nice disc of Hutch in a more free-bop setting.

So our dialogue concludes with the recognition that certain components of your initial post were made in error (though not the oblique condemnation of Joe Chambers' compositional abilities), most likely because of some possibly age-related mental happenings .

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!! My mind is a spiral now! :g