Highly recommended: Bill Barron, "Tenor Stylings" Savoy

Bol

Have Modern Windows Suite that Savoy put out a few years back and like that quite a bit. Never heard Tenor Styings though.

If you have Modern Windows Suite , then you have Tenor Stylings .

Modern Windows Suite is a crummy reissue , combining as it does , half a session (Modern Windows) with a full session (Tenor Stylings) that had already been reissued .

A few additional words on HOT-LINE... "2 tenors" date with Booker Ervin, another player who, well, let's say was less influenced by Coltrane than he offered a rather personal interpretation of Coltrane's language... very spirited playing, but also very smart, with a bit less stretching out than you might imagine... with a very young Andrew Cyrille in the drum chair

For those of us not so familiar with MOTIVATION...

Date: ca. 1972

Label: Savoy

Bill Barron (ldr), Bill Barron (ts), Kenny Barron (p), Chris White (b), Al Hicks (d)

a. a-01 Motivation (Bill Barron)

b. a-02 Land Of Sunshine (Bill Barron)

c. a-03 Blues For R. A. (Bill Barron)

d. b-01 Cosmos (Kenny Barron)

e. b-02 Hold Back Tomorrow (Bill Barron)

f. b-03 Mental Vibrations (Bill Barron)

All titles on: Savoy LP 12": 12303 — Motivation

No date given.

From: http://www.jazzdiscography.com/Artists/BarronB/bb-disc.htm

The early 70's may not have been a golden age for Savoy, but they certainly were interesting times.

Also in need of re-issue / re-evaluation: Barron's 70's / 80's output for Muse.

Edited by Joe

Have Modern Windows Suite that Savoy put out a few years back and like that quite a bit. Never heard Tenor Styings though.

If you have Modern Windows Suite , then you have Tenor Stylings .

Modern Windows Suite is a crummy reissue , combining as it does , half a session (Modern Windows) with a full session (Tenor Stylings) that had already been reissued .

Thanks for clearing that up. I agree though that just having a session and a half doesn't make real good sense; I'd really like the other half of Modern Windows.

Now Hear This on Fresh Sound is another nice date from 1964.

I really like the originals on this one , but there's noticeable distortion on the Fresh Sound CD . It's been years since I've heard an original copy , so I don't know if the sound has always been ropey .

I think Motivation is Barron's best Savoy side. And it's ludicrous that there's only half of Modern Windows on the U.S. release. It's a flippin' suite for Pete's sake!

Bill Barron is a vastly undervalued tenor player in my opinion. The Muse stuff, what I've heard of it at least, is uniformly excellent.

Great original cover on Modern Windows, though I hate when a photo's negative is reversed for the print.

post-282-126725525738_thumb.jpg

post-282-126725539047_thumb.jpg

I forgot to add that the only good thing about Orrin Keepnews' butcher job on "Modern Windows Suite" (the U.S. CD reissue) is that it contains a bonus track ("Desolation") from Tenor Stylings that the Japanese mini-LP edition left off. It's not an afterthought, but a very worthwhile ballad, with some Don Cherry-esque scraggly trumpet from Ted Curson.

• 3 weeks later...

I included a track from this one in my BFT #72 line up:

782763010228-l.jpg

Very fine disc, released on the Joken label (co-founded by brother Kenny Barron). Sadly I think this was Barron's last issued recording (recorded several years before his death).

Edited by DrJ

• 3 weeks later...

Barron also appears on Philly Joe Jones' PJ's Beat[/i, Atlantic, 1961. Fine exciting playing all round on several bebop standards. Lord lists an unissued PJJ album by the group but presumably this is one of the "lost" sessions.