Fund Established To Honor Larry Young

Kevin Bresnahan

I know that there is already a "Larry Young Corner" but I felt this deserved a topic of it's own.

Thanks to BFrank's posting of the link to the New Jesery Star Ledger's story on Larry Young, I contacted the author, Guy Sterling, to find out if Larry's estate was in contact with Blue Note Records, as I had been told there had been a substantial amount of money in Larry's royalty account. In talking with Guy, I could tell that he was glad for my call. However, he sounded sadder than I expected when I complimented him on the article. After talking with him for a while, it came out why he was so melancholy about Larry. He mentioned how upsetting it was for him when he went to Larry's gravesite only to find there is no headstone. He's decided to do something about it.

He gave me permission to post about it here.

Here are the particulars:

WBGO-FM/Jazz Radio 88 in Newark is accepting contributions to defray the costs of putting a headstone on

Larry Young's grave. The station's address is:

WBGO/Jazz Radio 88

54 Park Place

Newark, NJ 07102

All checks should be made out to "WBGO/Larry Young Fund."

Guy specifically asked me to, "If possible, and for a couple of reasons, I would like to know about anyone making a contribution. One, I hope to write about this project and would like to give as much credit as I can. Also, I want to make certain all of the money that's contributed goes to the cause and that the headstone befits Larry's stature. It's OK for you to include my e-mail address with any posting."

Guy's e-mail address is: gsterling@starledger.com.

If there's anyway that you guys in Organissimo can head this way and give a benefit, I'd be there!:D

Later,

Kevin

I learned a great many things about Larry from that article that I hadn't known. Getting a headstone for the site would certainly be a nice gesture, especially considering what a tremendous gift he left us.

As far as organissimo doing a benefit, we'd be honored to participate, no question. The logistics would be another matter, as we have almost no contacts in that area. Might be something to think about, though. Thanks for sharing this, Kevin.

Joe

Kevin,

Great job. I started thinking about contacting the author when I read about the missing headstone, but you beat me to it. I still need to contact him for another reason.

Do you know how long they intend to collect money? I know something similar was done for Fats Navarro a couple of years ago - I wonder how long it took them to gather the funds needed.

I remember on the 'previous board' that there were discussions about the Larry Young estate and how all the royalty money was in escrow. Did Guy say that he was going to get in touch with Blue Note about this? Between Althea and the kids from different mothers, this could get real hairy...

If any tribute/benefit takes place, I will really try to be there.

Bertrand.

Bertrand, I gave Tom Evered's contact information to Guy so if there was a problem with royalties, they should be all straightened out. Guy did mention that Larry's brother has received royalty checks in the past for Larry's Arista LPs... not that they could have been big considering how poorly they sold.

Later,

Kevin

• 1 year later...
  • 11 years later...

I'm searching on the net and I can't find the cemetery where Larry is buried. 

Things like findagrave are not working.

edit: It's as if the details have been removed from the internet, including this thread. It's OK, I figured it out.

Edited by 7/4

Islam forbids erecting structures over graves, although a simple marker or stone inscribed with the name of deceased is allowed. Mr. Sterling's intentions were no doubt honorable, but his ignorance of Young's faith and it's practices is slightly distressing, especially in light of his efforts to raise money for an inappropriate cause.