Black Saint/Soul Note Box Sets

romualdo

Okay - that makes me think they didn't yet know about the mistake!?

Well, what difference does it make? They certainly know now!!!

Ah well - the recent gaffe in the Universal France Ella box was fixed within days... doesn't make much of a difference, it's just a bit weird since the box has been out quite a while. That's all I wanted to say.

I hear you. Hip-O/Verve/Universal messed up on one of the discs in the Coltrane Vol.5 Impulse Albums collection. They've been promising replacement discs for months now. Still nothing. Also, they show absolutely no consistency. They messed up one of the discs in the recent Getz 3 cd collection. Instead of offering replacement discs, they decided to provide a free download of the missing track. Go figure.

The ship be sinkin'!!!

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, that "Flamingo" MP3 is pretty lame!

I've got "Stan Getz & the Cool Sounds" on CD so it's not a biggie, but still...

I agree completely!

Luckily, like you, I have the "Cool Sounds" CD and have burnt myself a replacement. But IMO an mp3 download DOES NOT constitute a satisfactory fix. They should have offered a replacement disc.

Can I just verify that the error amounts to a poor-sounding trombone solo? I can live with that

I might add that I'm still chugging along with the Murray box but I just. don't. get. it. Love Murray in other settings, love all the players, but the arrangements sound so, so off. Just like, not right. I don't know what I'm missing here. It just sounds wrong.

I sure hope they keep these boxes coming. They haven't yet gotten to some of the stuff I really need (except for the Dixon box). My wish list would be:

Billy Bang

M.R. Abrams

Julius Hemphill

Frank Lowe

Jarman/Moye (though there are only 3 of these, so they might have to combine with George Lewis/Douglas Ewart or Roscoe Mitchell & do an AACM thing)

Leroy Jenkins

Would be cool to get an Art Farmer set (with the Jazztet album added). Or one for the Adams/Pullen material.

Yes indeed.

Chico Hamilton, too!

I guess if these are indeed selling as well as seems to be the case, as our beloved voice of dissent has said, they'll just keep putting out their catalogue in this form. Suits me well as I only have a couple of dozen or so items yet... (I dimly remember some Soul Note/Black Saint discussion in the huge funny rat-thread some years back - but I've never really followed all the recommmendations from there).