Black Saint/Soul Note Box Sets

romualdo

Is anyone else having a tough time getting into the Dixon box? There's a sameness to the sessions that I find somewhat.......boring. Very dark, brooding music. Some of it works, some of it fails miserably. But I guess it's the journey that matters.

Nope--love it from beginning to end.

Always loved this music, but it doesn't reveal its truths right away. Spend some time with it. And for the record, Bill never failed to do what he wanted to do.

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

Look at all the albums that these two labels put out...one after the other...and these box sets are barely scratching the surface of their total output...and yet, this stuff was hard as hell to get in many parts of the US for quite a while, which maybe created a really distorted picture of what all was going on in the music at the time, which then allowed for all sorts of distorted concepts of problems P& solutions...too bad.

Look at all the albums that these two labels put out...one after the other...and these box sets are barely scratching the surface of their total output...and yet, this stuff was hard as hell to get in many parts of the US for quite a while, which maybe created a really distorted picture of what all was going on in the music at the time, which then allowed for all sorts of distorted concepts of problems P& solutions...too bad.

Good point - I was saying something like this before. In that whole period a lot of US music was issued outside the US, and you're right, the course of jazz at that time must have seemed different with only limited access to the numerous European issues from various labels, but most notably in terms of any kind of modern jazz (whatver that means), these BS/SN issues. In truth, few of these titles (as a proportion of the many issued) have ever settled down to seem like classics to me, but if you consider the chunks of material from that have been boxed so far and bear in mind that there will be some more to come... also things that might not get boxed: early Tim Berne, some Glenn Spearman, Hemphill/Bowie/Mitchell/Abrams/Jarman?(Wadada)Smith, Frank Lowe, John Carter, and lots more really. A big box pulling together all the Chicago stuff would be great.

I'll definitely be picking up the Murray and Konitz. Leaning toward getting the Lacy as well, especially since it doesn't include Potts or Aebi. The Braxton I'm a little iffy on. In retrospect I regret scrabbling for some of the standalone discs - I have two of the Lacys, two of the Murrays, two of the Threadgills, and three of the Motians.

Guy

• 1 month later...

At the time of clicking the Cam Jazz site shows only the Lacy, but amazon.fr shows four - Lacy, Murray (Octet), Braxton, Konitz. Is that all of them?

The covers are already "hidden" on the CAM site, but details aren't yet entered:

BXS1013b2.jpgBXS1012b2.jpg

BXS1011b2.jpgBXS1010b2.jpg

That's all so far, boxes #10-13 (the first batch was four, then another four, then Dixon as #9 coming all alone).

I'm hoping for Waldron and more Murray, though I have some discs by both of them (also have two of the Octet discs and one from the Lacy box). I'm a bit hesitant about the Konitz, heard "Lunasea" years ago and it didn't do much for me, and have "Live at Laren" (which is good not great, in my opinion) on vinyl - but the price at amazon.fr makes them all very tempting!

As has been mentioned already early in this thread, it's cheaper to order from yurp for once... get it from amazon.fr or keep checking grooves-inc.com (they can calculate in US$ and offer their site in several languages, including english).

The Lacy, btw, might be quite a nice surprise for those who lean more towards mainstream - the two duo albums with Waldron should please just about everyone with open ears, and the trio on The Window is great as well (don't know the other two yet).

um, other three, I meant.