Black Saint/Soul Note Box Sets

romualdo

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a respectable number of Black Saint/Soul Note CDs, purchased over the last 20 years or so. The catalog is rather large though, and they have never been that easy or inexpensive to obtain. These discount priced box sets are very welcome.

+1

With a few changes.

Edited by Van Basten II

I am amazed so few of you had the lps or cd reissues. Major bummer for me.

I'd have bought way more, had they seen wider distribution (or been available at all)... but as others say, not all of us go as far back ;)

In my younger days, I was busy collecting Coltrane, Miles, OJCCDs, Mosaics... and you know, these Black Saints - when they did show up behind the mountains here, they would cost at least 30 or even 35 dollars, so go figure...

Anyway, I'm definitely a fan of these new boxes, got them all, yet I still have to absorb some of the music...

I have or had maaaaany of the BN/SN titles. I often wondered if these were as widely known as they might be. The enthusiasm for these boxes seems to show they are getting a new audience. They were never especially expensive in the UK, and when CD came in there was a window that their LPs were flogged off cheap. With the CDs too there was a period that many were available at mid-price (when many titles were not so current and before these boxes started to come out).

Really? Why so?

Because much of it is important and some of you guys are old enough to have been around when it came out first, I guess?

I think it was a carefully crafted tweet to get a twitter.

Really? Why so?

Because much of it is important and some of you guys are old enough to have been around when it came out first, I guess?

I think it was a carefully crafted tweet to get a twitter.

Those young un's an' their tweetin' and twitterin' an' the loik. Can't be 'avin' it mysel'.

Contacted the folks at CamJazz regarding the sound problems with the David Murray set.

Appears to be a problem during manufacturing; the set will be reprinted and they are sending me a replacement copy.

If you have a faulty set contact info@camjazz.com

Contacted the folks at CamJazz regarding the sound problems with the David Murray set.

Appears to be a problem during manufacturing; the set will be reprinted and they are sending me a replacement copy.

What sound problems - must have missed this

Can you give any specifics - what discs etc

I've yet to be tempted significantly by this series. I have the Threadgill and it's excellent but I 'm not convinced that buying music by the kilo in this fashion does much for me. I listen to the single Nessa Air Cd more than the entire BS/SN set. I suppose that the Lacy and Konitz sets probably appeal to me the most but I have some of the contents already. The Russell also intrigues me as it's music I've avoided to date. Any strong recommendations on any of these??

Yeah, I don't much care for the stripped-down presentation of this series. Of the ones I've gotten I do like the Steve Lacy very much, as I did not previously have that music. The other one I would have liked would have been the Bill Dixon, but I already have all but one of those discs so I'm not going to buy that set.

Of the three you mention, the Russell I find most intriguing.

The sound on these sets is excellent. When I've comared discs within to discs I've had before, the new ones show real improvement.

Details here:

The discs for Ming, Hope Scope and New Life are- on my copy at least- in mono. It appears that one channel (either the left or right) has been folded out onto both channels. In other words we're only hearing half the stereo image.

As was pointed out elsewhere, Craig Harris' trombone solo on the final track of New Life sounds like someone playing in the hall outside the studio.

The discs for Ming, Hope Scope and New Life are- on my copy at least- in mono. It appears that one channel (either the left or right) has been folded out onto both channels. In other words we're only hearing half the stereo image.

As was pointed out elsewhere, Craig Harris' trombone solo on the final track of New Life sounds like someone playing in the hall outside the studio.

Just checked my box - hadn't listened to it yet as only recently received it

looks like I've got a dud one too

I can also confirm that all 3 CD's Ming, Hope Scope & New Life are in mono (others are OK) - opened all of the tracks from each CD in audacity & was able to observe the wave forms

Compared the Craig Harris trombone solo (Blues In The Pocket) from the boxed set & to an original CD that I still have (hadn't offloaded it yet) - what a difference!!

time to send an email to Cam Jazz - has anyone actually received a reply from them confirming that they will replace the set?