Sal Salvador

Tom 1960

Any other albums I should be checking out?

Yep, the Bethlehem albums:

Frivolous Sal; 1956 quartet recordings

Shades of Sal Salvador; 1956-1957 quartet/quintet/septet recordings

A Tribute to the Greats; 1957 quartet recordings

which were all issued on CD in Japan. They're great.

His late 1950s Decca big-band album Colors in Sound is also excellent.

Edited by J.A.W.

My favorite Sal Salvador is the Capitol LP that was part of the Kenton Presents series

sal-salvador-kenton-presents.jpg

That was the first Sal Salvador/Eddie Costa collaboration. It included a splendid 'Yesterdays' - one of Costa's favorite tune - in a Bill Holman arrangement.

Understand it is part of one of the Spanish double CD that John L mentions (never saw that one!).

My favorite Sal Salvador is the Capitol LP that was part of the Kenton Presents series

That was the first Sal Salvador/Eddie Costa collaboration. It included a splendid 'Yesterdays' - one of Costa's favorite tune - in a Bill Holman arrangement.

Understand it is part of one of the Spanish double CD that John L mentions (never saw that one!).

Kenton Presents: Sal Salvador is part of the Connoisseur CD Sal Salvador Quintet/Quartet Tom 1960 started this thread with, that's why I didn't mention it in my post above.

Edited by J.A.W.

The LoneHill double CD has all the quartet recordings with Costa (1 Capitol, 3 Bethlehems), plus the recordings with Frank Socolow (also on Bethlehem - all those Bethlehem recordings have been reissued in Japan, the Capitol was part of the Blue Note Connoisseur series, c. 1998). I underline "quartet", because only part of Shades of Salvador was recorded with the quartet. The rest has horns too (Eddie Bert, Phil Woods, etc), or Costa is absent.

Fresh Sound reissued the Colors In Sound (original Decca).

Personally, I think that in those 1950s recordings with Costa, Salvador had immaculate technique but relied too much on certain licks, and could be a bit repetitive.

Salvador started the quartet with Costa in late 1953, after he left Kenton. First recordings were in the summer of 1954.

F

PS Edit to add that the small group arrangements by Bill Holman and Manny Albam are very interesting. "Yesterdays", as pointed out by Brownie, is especially good, with Salvador and Costa playing different lines in different directions (Salvador down, Costa, on vibes, up).

PPS Spotify users can listen to the whole set here.

Edited by Fer Urbina

i10448ron0b.jpg

I've been listening to this collection of fantastic music, a recent purchase of mine and can't believe why this guy didn't more notoriety? Fantastic. Anyone else dig this guy? Any other albums I should be checking out?

You're right about him lacking notoriety, Tom! All I can recall of him is his appearance with Sonny Stitt at the Newport Jazz Festival, a highlight of the movie, Jazz on a Summer's Day.

Kenton Presents: Sal Salvador is part of the Connoisseur CD Sal Salvador Quintet/Quartet Tom 1960 started this thread with, that's why I didn't mention it in my post above.

Thanks for pointing this out. Was unaware of that reissue.

Another BN Conn that has eluded me. Never saw it!

I have this date on the BN 10-incher that came out in 1975 when BN/UA rereleased the BLP5000 series in exact replica.

Thanks for pointing this out. Was unaware of that reissue.

Another BN Conn that has eluded me. Never saw it!

I have this date on the BN 10-incher that came out in 1975 when BN/UA rereleased the BLP5000 series in exact replica.

Very good reissue. Crisp sound plus liner notes include an interview with Salvador, not long before he died. Discographical info on it has been corrected in latest Ruppli Capitol discography (on CD-ROM, released by Names&Numbers).

Amazon.com sells it as a CD-R.

F

PS Incidentally, I have this as an AFRS 16-inch disc... :blink:

Edited by Fer Urbina

The LoneHill double CD has all the quartet recordings with Costa (1 Capitol, 3 Bethlehems), plus the recordings with Frank Socolow (also on Bethlehem - all those Bethlehem recordings have been reissued in Japan, the Capitol was part of the Blue Note Connoisseur series, c. 1998). I underline "quartet", because only part of Shades of Salvador was recorded with the quartet. The rest has horns too (Eddie Bert, Phil Woods, etc), or Costa is absent.

513KESEEAML._SL500_AA240_.jpg

From what I see that Lonehill release is pretty much my only alternative right now, since the single version issues far exceed my price range.