• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I lost Butterball, my little rescue papillon, about two months ago now to what my vet surmised was an "acute event." She was about 15 years old and went into rapid congestive heart failure one day after showing no signs of the disease at all previously. Took her to the emergency after she began to develop what I can only describe as a cough or wheezing that became increasingly wet over the course of about 8 hours. Despite large doses of lasix and an oxygen chamber, she went pretty quickly and I miss her, of course.

But, before long I was in touch with a couple of rescue groups again and after a few visits to a couple of foster homes and much consideration, I have decided to adopt Bodhi.

s122a2378819m8035912.jpg

More here.

He's about 6 years old, a little bit on the large side for the breed, very calm demeanor and just really a sweet guy. I just emailed the foster home a few minutes ago to let them know. He's not too far away from me, so hopefully I'll be able to pick him up as soon as tomorrow.

Peanut, my cat, has been pretty bummed since Butter died. She's in for a surprise!

:lol:

I lost Butterball, my little rescue papillon, about two months ago now to what my vet surmised was an "acute event." She was about 15 years old and went into rapid congestive heart failure one day after showing no signs of the disease at all previously. Took her to the emergency after she began to develop what I can only describe as a cough or wheezing that became increasingly wet over the course of about 8 hours. Despite large doses of lasix and an oxygen chamber, she went pretty quickly and I miss her, of course.

But, before long I was in touch with a couple of rescue groups again and after a few visits to a couple of foster homes and much consideration, I have decided to adopt Bodhi.

s122a2378819m8035912.jpg

More here.

He's about 6 years old, a little bit on the large side for the breed, very calm demeanor and just really a sweet guy. I just emailed the foster home a few minutes ago to let them know. He's not too far away from me, so hopefully I'll be able to pick him up as soon as tomorrow.

Peanut, my cat, has been pretty bummed since Butter died. She's in for a surprise!

:lol:

My condolences for your loss.

Congratulations on the addition to the family.

I love this thread... my girlfriend and I have been talking about adopting a rescue for some time and will finally be taking the plunge in about a month. We're thinking probably a lab puppy given their abundance. It will be exciting!

More amusingly, I tend to get very excited whenever I see a puppy while walking around the neighborhood. (There are a lot.) My girlfriend finds it amusing though sometimes has to whisper "you're STARING!"

Anyway, as soon as we adopt I'll post a picture.

Guy

• 2 weeks later...

Bodhi's doing great. Lots of tail wagging, walks, adventures down along the bayfront. I'm getting him out and about as much as possible. I've had him a week now and every day I see him bonding a bit more with me.

The first few days he was basically confused about where he was and just tried to kind of fade into the background. The first day with my cat Peanut I was really a little concerned. Lots of hissing and yelping and scurrying about. They're completely comfortable with one another after just one week. We all slept in the same bed last night.

He's hand shy and quite wary of meeting new dogs. A little less shy with people. I think he may have been isolated -- caged -- for the first four years of his life (in a backyard puppy mill) rather than physically abused, and he simply didn't know the human touch during the first half of his life. He doesn't cringe when I go to pet him, he just stiffens a bit, ears go down, as if he's not sure what it's going to feel like. Needless to say, lots of gentle petting, praising, etc.

He's a great guy. A big success!

pyface.jpeg

CAT-ITUDE!

Pywacket was dumped on the side of the road along with her brothers and sisters during a thunderstorm in Charlotte NC in 2000. She was the only survivor. I adopted her a couple days later and she's been my constant companion ever since. Though she's 11 now, she doesn't show any signs of slowing down, she's just as cantankerous as ever.

• 4 weeks later...

I love this thread... my girlfriend and I have been talking about adopting a rescue for some time and will finally be taking the plunge in about a month. We're thinking probably a lab puppy given their abundance. It will be exciting!

More amusingly, I tend to get very excited whenever I see a puppy while walking around the neighborhood. (There are a lot.) My girlfriend finds it amusing though sometimes has to whisper "you're STARING!"

Anyway, as soon as we adopt I'll post a picture.

Guy

My gf and I finally adopted a week ago - a 3.5 month old 17 lb puppy - his mom was a Jack Russell/hound/beagle mix, the dad some kind of rottweiler mix. He'll probably be 65-75 at full size. Anyway, he was super friendly when we met him at the adoption agency and we brought him home. He's friendly on the street to people (overly friendly, sometimes) and wants to meet every other dog. He sleeps through most of the night, is super responsive to food (and already sits! my gf is training him at down and stay; and also, he's eating out of her hand, and knows to wait until she's ready to serve him). He is also not bad when walking on the leash. Unfortunately...

He's a major biter. It's disconcerting - whenever he gets riled up he starts biting, and it HURTS - i'm covered in scratches and bites, as is my girlfriend. We've tried yipping in pain, but it seems to get him riled up even more - and when he bites arms or legs, he's awfully fond of pulling (and growling). What we're trying right now is taking him to the corner and leashing him up to a doorknob, giving him a time out. Not clear whether it's working, but it's a downer that we have to keep leashing him to the doorknob all the time. We're seriously considering returning him to the agency next week if he doesn't improve. He clearly understands bite inhibition because when he's lying down and we scratch him, he mouthes without biting.

Anyway, will keep you updated.

You might want to look into obedience training. There are several ways to go with this, from group classes with several other dogs, to a private trainer in a series of one-on-one sessions.

A one-on-one session with a trainer is best, in my opinion. No distractions. Focused instruction. I've gone the private trainer route in the past and had success with it. And it has worked with dogs I've had who are older and whose behaviors were triggered by fear.

In other words, it has worked on behaviors that were much more ingrained and difficult to correct.

It probably will only take one or two sessions for an obedience trainer to assess your dog's behavior and give you the tools to correct those behaviors on your own, so a private trainer is not really a costly proposition. A few follow-up sessions would probably be recommended to see how well the training techniques are working and if they need to be modified.

They say obedience training is as much about training the human as it is about training the dog. Tying him to a door knob may be the exact wrong thing to do to correct the behavior. In fact, it quite likely is the wrong thing to do, and may only increase his frustration (as well as yours).

It sounds like this dog has a lot of good traits and one bad trait that can be corrected. Try to stick with it.

Dogs need direction. They want direction. The more direction they get, the more devoted they become. At least, that's my experience.

Good luck and keep us posted no matter what you decide.

Also -- and I'm sure you know this -- puppies chew. A lot.

Chew toys and chew sticks are the answer. And keep him away from books and CDs or any other valuables while he's learning what he can and can't sink his teeth into.

Edited by papsrus

Combine very sharp puppy teeth with the aforementioned puppy tendency to chew on everything within reach, and you're going to get regularly nipped even by the best-behaved pup. I had the same kind of scratches and bites up and down my arms and hands when our dog was a puppy, but she grew out of the biting/chewing habit (although not before ruining a coffee table I'd had since college and a few books) once her permanent teeth had come in.

I'd definitely look into some basic obedience training before considering returning him to the agency, but this is probably not something you're going to fix in several days.

Combine very sharp puppy teeth with the aforementioned puppy tendency to chew on everything within reach, and you're going to get regularly nipped even by the best-behaved pup. I had the same kind of scratches and bites up and down my arms and hands when our dog was a puppy, but she grew out of the biting/chewing habit (although not before ruining a coffee table I'd had since college and a few books) once her permanent teeth had come in.

I'd definitely look into some basic obedience training before considering returning him to the agency, but this is probably not something you're going to fix in several days.

We really don't mind the damage to furniture - we knew that going in. But when he bites, it can be quite terrifying. I was trying to retrieve one of his kongs and he attacked my nose, giving me a nose bleed. I'm not sure we're capable of coping with this kind of behavior.

We did have a trainer come in, and spoke to two others, prior to my post.