pyface.jpeg

CAT-ITUDE!

Pywacket was dumped on the side of the road along with her brothers and sisters during a thunderstorm in Charlotte NC in 2000. She was the only survivor. I adopted her a couple days later and she's been my constant companion ever since. Though she's 11 now, she doesn't show any signs of slowing down, she's just as cantankerous as ever.

She shows no sign of slowing down. She can still stay in the same spot for hours and hours on end!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

We really don't mind the damage to furniture - we knew that going in. But when he bites, it can be quite terrifying. I was trying to retrieve one of his kongs and he attacked my nose, giving me a nose bleed. I'm not sure we're capable of coping with this kind of behavior.

We did have a trainer come in, and spoke to two others, prior to my post.

So ... how'd it turn out?

Never had a pet, except for a small duck when I was around ten. The neighbour's dog killed it. Oh, how I cried! Now I have three children, so no room and no time for pets, living in an apartment in the center of Madrid.

OTOH, I have never understood the craziness about pets. Respecting and taking care of animals, yes. Treating animals like a person, no!

bild0504d.jpg

Here's our cat... had her for about two years. Can't help it that she enjoys my Mosaics, my Jazz in Paris discs, my books and stuff - never trained her to do so :lol:

Oh, and note her good taste in films... also, those Soulnotes next to her, that's the Jimmy Lyons discs - her favourite cattin' music :excited:

No pets in the house (it's a miracle I can feed myself) but I am a fan of cats that think they are dogs. Here's my buddy Owen, extremely friendly resident cat of Aardvark Books:

l.jpg

Here's Owen in some other dude's lap:

tumblr_l3fynqWPkf1qavdezo1_r1_500.jpg

And here he is in my lap:

11%2B-%2B1.jpg

Edited by Big Wheel

We really don't mind the damage to furniture - we knew that going in. But when he bites, it can be quite terrifying. I was trying to retrieve one of his kongs and he attacked my nose, giving me a nose bleed. I'm not sure we're capable of coping with this kind of behavior.

We returned that dog to the adoption agency, and adopted a different pup (lab/spaniel mix). It's like night and day... this guy mouths a little, but doesn't bite. We can actually play with him. He does the usual puppy things - chewing on furniture, climbing onto furniture, jumping, erratic housetraining - but is much more along the lines of the dog we want. In retrospect we probably should have been much pickier about the dog breed.

Guy

We returned that dog to the adoption agency, and adopted a different pup (lab/spaniel mix). It's like night and day... this guy mouths a little, but doesn't bite. We can actually play with him. He does the usual puppy things - chewing on furniture, climbing onto furniture, jumping, erratic housetraining - but is much more along the lines of the dog we want. In retrospect we probably should have been much pickier about the dog breed.

Guy

Thanks for the update. Glad you have found what sounds like a great match! :tup

• 2 months later...

Our puppy, Henry, got bitten by another dog this AM while my girlfriend was walking him. She took Henry to get stitches on his ear and I am sure he'll be alright, but it's a little upsetting.

This makes me re-evaluate bringing Henry to the local dog park. (Even though he wasn't bitten there.) We started taking him there and some of the dogs can be a little rough. About a week ago he was attacked by a boxer who fortunately didn't puncture any skin.

Otherwise Henry is doing great. He's a generally well-behaved pup who likes to play with other dogs (though he is very particular about who he wants to play with) and loves saying hello to people. He found his first experience with snow to be extremely excited but is still scared of large objects (such as the floor lamp we installed yesterday) and large plastic bags.

Guy

• 2 years later...

Our 8-year-old GSD, Gretchen, taken this afternoon. She is small for the breed, about 60 pounds, and people frequently assume she is still a puppy.

photo.jpg

Gretchen passed away yesterday morning. She was at an advanced age for a GSD (12 1/2), and within the past eight months had developed an inoperable tumor on her left rear leg that ultimately forced us to make the difficult decision to amputate it three months ago. Even with that, she had no other serious health issues that our vet could ascertain, and she had adapted as well as we could have expected to life on three legs, so we really thought she would be with us for a while longer.

Yesterday after my wife had gone to work, I thought Gretchen's breathing sounded a little odd, but nothing I hadn't heard before. She was lying down on her bed, and when I heard her head hit the floor with a thud, I still didn't think it was unusual as she frequently did that. But when I went to check on her, she had stopped breathing and was gone. We think it was a sudden cardiopulmonary event.

Gretchen came to us when she was six weeks old and spent her entire life with us. I'm grateful that she went quickly and without apparent suffering, and that we didn't have to make the painful decision that all pet owners dread. She enriched our lives immeasurably, and I miss her more than words can say.

Edited by Dave Garrett