Upcoming 2CD set from Curtis Fuller

tranemonk

I don't get that review. Did the guy start crying because he had a good conversation with some teenagers? What's up with that?

Or maybe about Curtis's wife?? I too was a bit perplexed. I must be too literal. I am wondering about the great trombonist's chops. Has anyone heard him lately? Always been one of my favorites, but then, I'm a sucker for trombonists, having been one when dinosaurs still walked the earth.

gregmo

I am wondering about the great trombonist's chops. Has anyone heard him lately? Always been one of my favorites, but then, I'm a sucker for trombonists, having been one when dinosaurs still walked the earth.

And you are a better person for having "ridden the dinosaur". :)

Regarding the chops- one thing that starts to happen (to most, not all) with age is some "unpredictability" comes into play, usually in the mechanical areas of flexibility, range & endurance (the physical aspects of playing a brass instrument).

Regardless, Curtis is still Curtis. The SOUND is still there & the message is still strong- the years of experience have resulted in a vast (bop & blues) vocabulary. Curtis is one of the major trombone cats, and he still has a lot to say. I haven't met him, but if I did I would thank him (I got to meet J.J. for about 5 minutes. I avoided the thousand questions I had for him- it was after the set and he was relaxing. But I did thank him (that was important to me).

I hope I get to cross paths with Curtis. I hope *if and when* I make it to 75 I can still play. In general the larger trombone mouthpiece is more forgiving than the much smaller trumpet mouthpiece, so the effects of age (chops getting stiff) tend to hit the trumpet players harder than the low brass guys,

I'll pick this recording up for sure.

I am wondering about the great trombonist's chops. Has anyone heard him lately? Always been one of my favorites, but then, I'm a sucker for trombonists, having been one when dinosaurs still walked the earth.

And you are a better person for having "ridden the dinosaur". :)

Regarding the chops- one thing that starts to happen (to most, not all) with age is some "unpredictability" comes into play, usually in the mechanical areas of flexibility, range & endurance (the physical aspects of playing a brass instrument).

Regardless, Curtis is still Curtis. The SOUND is still there & the message is still strong- the years of experience have resulted in a vast (bop & blues) vocabulary. Curtis is one of the major trombone cats, and he still has a lot to say. I haven't met him, but if I did I would thank him (I got to meet J.J. for about 5 minutes. I avoided the thousand questions I had for him- it was after the set and he was relaxing. But I did thank him (that was important to me).

I hope I get to cross paths with Curtis. I hope *if and when* I make it to 75 I can still play. In general the larger trombone mouthpiece is more forgiving than the much smaller trumpet mouthpiece, so the effects of age (chops getting stiff) tend to hit the trumpet players harder than the low brass guys,

I'll pick this recording up for sure.

Actually, those brontosauruses were kind of uncomfortable! ;)

Like I said, I've always loved Curtis Fuller's music. I imagine I'll shell out for this one too.

gregmo

• 4 weeks later...

Just started listening to the 1st of the 2 cds...

Absolultely wonderful...

Kinda got that Benny Golson/Jazztet feel to it.... :tup :tup :tup

Thanks for the rec. I just ordered it. It's on sale today at http://www.cdconnection.com for those interested. I also ordered the new John Fedchock NY Sextet CD live at the Red Sea Jazz Festival.

On a side note, one of my very favorite underrated LP's has always been Curtis' "Fire and Filigree" on the old Beehive label. That label put out some excellent LP's in their short life span.

I've met Curtis several times and saw him play as recently as 6-8 months ago. Playing is ok but as Free says...he's still Curtis...so I say...go for it!!! Very nice guy by the way. I saw him not too long before his wife passed away, he mentioned that she was ill....yet still wonderful and friendly.

m~

• 2 weeks later...