World Cup 2010

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1-0 for Switzerland :excited:

Can't believe it!

The Swiss team had several Federers in their team, Spain lacked a Nadal.

The Spaniards seemed to be back at facing their usual jinx in major soccer competitions (exception was the Eurocup 2008 when they beat Germany in the final!

The Swiss eleven ran a tight defense. They deserved to win!

What is the proper way to pronounce the name of the Chile's goal scorer Beausejour, I would be tempted to say it à la Française, but the british said it in other way more like Bose-jour instead of Bo-say-jour like I would do.

Will answer myself, a bit of research about him made me learn that he has Haitian origins, so the proper way would be à la Française and the English commentator is butchering awfulling his name.

It's a low-scoring tournament: 25 goals in the first 16 games, an average of 1,56 goals per game.

Réalisme 101 !

Hop la Suisse !

The majority (almost two-thirds) of the Swiss population speak German wink.gif

Only sign from the Swiss fans shown was in French, so I took it from there

mrwinky.gif

I actually missed hearing the cowbells during the game.bwallace2.gif

Edited by Van Basten II

What a major disappointment. This is 1998 all over again. Their going through would not appear likely. Chile should gather three point from the Swiss and the Swiss probably three from Honduras. Spain should beat Honduras but Chile who knows. If they do, it will come down to goal differential. A very tough road. What a disaster. I can only imagine what the reaction is back in Spain.

Can't believe it!

I still can't believe that Spain didn't score. It was very similar to their loss against the U.S. in last year's Confed Cup semifinal.

On behalf of the Western Hemisphere, I'd like to apologize to anyone who wasted their time watching Honduras trying to attack Chile's penalty area (notice I didn't say Chile's goal). Pathetic.

I thought Forlan's goal was pretty lucky, what with the deflection. It was hit straight toward the center of the goal... not sure why the S.A. keeper couldn't have tipped it over the bar.

Can't believe it!

The Swiss team had several Federers in their team, Spain lacked a Nadal.

The Spaniards seemed to be back at facing their usual jinx in major soccer competitions (exception was the Eurocup 2008 when they beat Germany in the final!

The Swiss eleven ran a tight defense. They deserved to win!

Muchas gracias, señor! :g

Hop la Suisse !

The majority (almost two-thirds) of the Swiss population speak German wink.gif

Only sign from the Swiss fans shown was in French, so I took it from there

mrwinky.gif

I actually missed hearing the cowbells during the game.bwallace2.gif

Mais non! Tous les allemands apprennent le français à l'école... comme tous les romands apprennent l'allemand.

Hélas! Those darn vuvuzelas succeed in drowning out everything, even cowebells, I guess... but I don't think there are many Swiss fans there - it was way too expensive for many, and many that had tickets couldn't get a flight or a hotel there... the Fifa-Blatter-mafia, I guess (though with Blatter in it, at least one Swiss will be THE big winner of it all, no matter which team wins the tournament... let's just hope that couting his pennies won't lead him to driving under the influence again...)

This was a complete disaster. It smells again like all great championships except last Eurocup: failure, fiasco, bust, flop... Absolutely disappointed.

As a fellow supporter, I couldn't agree more and I don't like Del Bosque saying the Swiss took advantage of dead balls and counters. Hey, that's what it's all about. They may be lucky they face Honduras next.

The South Africa team fell back on Earth.

With two goals by forward Diego Forlan, Uruguay played much better than during their opening match against France.

They deserve to go to the second round.

Most impressive team from the first round games was Germany! What else is new?

Most impressive team from the first round games was Germany! What else is new?

Germany usually don't play very well in the first round games, only to get better in the knock-out rounds :) This time they were excellent - so far at least.

Yes, the German match was the star of a generally lackluster series of first games. Let's hope that the Uruguay match is a sign of things to come. I think France Mexico has potential for a very good match as they both know that a victory may give them a leg up on putting them through.

Two of the better looking teams of the firstr series of matches are giving us a worthy reason to get up early this morning, although the Korean have mostly done figuration throughout the first half. But with both teams showing flair with the ball and defensive lapses, there still is some drama to be played.

The Greeks are back in the running. After a dismal first game they showed some spirit. Exciting end to the this group as all the team will still be alive and all teams can be knocked out also. Argentina has obviously the simpler task, as long as they don't lose by more than two goals they are in while Nigeria needs some outside help big time to manage a way to squeeze in the second round. Korea and Greece will have to do some scireboard watching while delivering a result.