World Cup 2010

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah - that affected all of the viewings in HD at the pubs and clubs.

Us cheapskates viewing in non-HD at home were unaffected :D

Was viewing in HD at home and did see it - very clearly, I should add ;)

Luckily we don't have any commercial breaks during games, only during half-time. The vuvuzelas are bad enough, we don't need anything on top of that...

Poor guy.

I don't agree on the red; yellow yes, red no. The refereeing had another questionable moment: the yellow on Cacao in the 92nd. Please.

Cahill went for the leg, not the ball. It was an ugly foul, punishable by a red card according to the instructions the referees got from FIFA ahead of the tournament.

I didn't see Cacau's foul - if there was one.

I don't agree on the red; yellow yes, red no. The refereeing had another questionable moment: the yellow on Cacao in the 92nd. Please.

Cahill went for the leg, not the ball. It was an ugly foul, punishable by a red card according to the instructions the referees got from FIFA ahead of the tournament.

I didn't see Cacau's foul - if there was one.

He was called for diving.

Think I will watch with the sound offbwallace2.gif , those horns are annoying

I agree, that loud, monotonous vuvuzela sound is really very annoying :tdown

Seriously. I flipped on the Ger-Aus match when it was 2:0 in order to tape for tonite and was wondering what that weird noise was. Thought there was some engineering glitch up in the announcer's booth......then spied this AP headline.

Vuvuzela drone killing World Cup atmosphere

I expected much more from Serbia. I hadn't seen them play recently, but I had heard that they might be strong enough to win their group. Too many missed chances, and that hand ball was just inexplicably stupid.

Germany looked very sharp. Australia (the "hard tacklers", who must remember to tackle the ball), lived up to my expectations, the way they fouled recklessly (Moore, Neill, Cahill). The reason that Germany's Cacau was carded (unfairly) was because the Mexican ref thought he was diving, when in reality he was simply jumping (wisely, imo) to avoid one of those late tackles. He didn't want to be injured- especially with the match being in the 91st minute. Bad call against him. I think the straight red on Cahill was questionable, and probably should have been a yellow, but that's a judgement call that I wouldn't be inclined to argue against strongly.

Thus far, the referees have generally been very, very good. After what we witnessed in the group stages in 2006, I must say I'm pleasantly surprised by this (but it's early yet...).

I haven't even watched the Algeria-Slovenia match yet, and from what I've read here, I may not bother.

If the games were poor on paper today they look better tomorrow, pretty intrigued by monday's matchups Netherlands and Denmark is one of the most intriguing games of the first tour, Japan-Cameroun could be fun and it's the entrance of the third team that I do feel has a chance to win it all Italy against Paraguay.

For those who are wondering , I think they are five teams with legitimate chances Argentina, Brazil, Spain, Italy and Germany.

If FIFA does not want to ban the use of those damn vuvuzela horns, I hope they manage to restrict their use (for instance only when goals are scored or at the end of the matches)!

Part of the pleasure of watching soccer games was enjoying the moments when crowds remained silent and then roared to cheer (or diss) actions.

Now the only sounds we hear is the constant drone of those horns :excited:

There is some talk about banning them from the cup. It's apprently a tradition at South African matches. However, some traditions are not always good ones wink.gif

A World Cup official has said that they won't be banned. Dutch TV has already turned the "stadium sound" down relative to the commentators' voices after numerous complaints from viewers.

Not as bad as the english commentator made it to be but not a memorable one either, expected better from the Danes, they were first in qualification in a tough group, but their way of playing was too sterile and lacked imagination. Would love to see more of Elia for Holland. Meanwhile good win for them.

If FIFA does not want to ban the use of those damn vuvuzela horns, I hope they manage to restrict their use (for instance only when goals are scored or at the end of the matches)!

Don't see how you can do that, either they can bring them or they don't, it is a bit like asking fans to only dance when their team is about to win or scoring. My only worry is that fans will export them and start using them in domestic and Continental competition throughout the world

Only watched part of the second half of the Netherlands v. Denmark game, so I can't really comment. I got the impression that it was neither good nor bad.

[correction] Just saw a bit more and it wasn't very good.

Unfortunately work intervenes (darn!) and I didn't see the match. Just more of the same I assume that we've seen from everybody except Germany and maybe Argentina.

By the way, is it me or the attendance at the games is a dissapointment, a lot of empty seats even for games involving African nations.

A disappointment for the organizers, I guess. Thanks to the noise of those vuvuzelas it doesn't make any difference for the volume of the sound coming from the crowd...