Blindfold Test Parody Thread

Jim R

Here's your chance to poke a little fun at our cherished institution. I don't know why, but the feeling suddenly came over me, and I just couldn't help it... :P

===============================================================================

Jack Slick

Groove God

Group: Members

Member No.: 33.3

Okay folks, this is the thread to post your reactions to the music I've sent out. Now, listen up. Even though the BF test has only been in existence for a few months, I've spent the better part of 19 years assembling this music for you people. I knew this day would come, and I was PREPARED! Don't be fooled by the fact that there's only one disc- I meant to do that. You see, this is the best of the best, the cream of the cream (or however that saying goes over there in France), the hippest of the hip. Every track was carefully selected over a course of months, tested and retested for suitability. The artists were chosen very carefully to help form a package that would be cohesive (in a subtly diverse way) and set a standard for all future BF tests. I even went so far as to investigate the family histories of each artist, to ensure the proper integrity (and wholesome vibe) for this collection. EVERY song was carefully examined for quality, in terms of compositional structure, group interplay, solo length/quality, recording quality, etc, etc (I could go on forever, so I'll just leave it at that for now).

Your task here is to give your honest reaction to the music. You should try to identify what it is you're hearing if possible, but it's just as important to explain and analyze what your PERSONAL reaction is to this music. Detail, detail, detail. EXPRESS yourself here. Essays for each track should be not longer than 1,000 words.

===============================================================================

Jazzstronaut

Super Fine Groover

Member No.: 0

Whoa, thanks for the disc, Jack Slick! I probably won't get any of these right, but here goes...

1. No clue

2. I like this a lot.

3. Didn't listen to this one

4. Okay

5. Very good

6. Really good

7. Mmmph

8. Cool

9. Is this from "Kinda Blue"?

10. No guess

11. Pretty nice

12. Good

I'll try to get to those last three next week. Right now I gotta run- people are signing up for the next test...

1. There's not enough of the dat-dat-do-dah there

2. These white cats just can't swing, you know what I mean? They're all da-da-do when they should be dat-dat-dah-du

3. Whoever this is, they remind me that jass is not about the music, it's about what's *inside* man, but you can't be *inside* and *outside* at the same time unless you are playing *outside* and *in*

4. Sorry, I wasn't listening, but I'm sure that you can see how that track goes back to the rhythmic squeaking and wailing-- yeeoowww-mama-- of the chains and ropes that enslaved our people when we were making the real pure music...

More after I figure out why I lost my gig at the Lincoln Center...

wynton

1. No clue

2. I like this a lot.

3. Didn't listen to this one

4. Okay

5. Very good

6. Really good

7. Mmmph

8. Cool

9. Is this from "Kinda Blue"?

10. No guess

11. Pretty nice

12. Good

I'll try to get to those last three next week. Right now I gotta run- people are signing up for the next test...

I thought I was too brief... :w

1. Wow, that piano!! Reminded me of Count Basie at first, but then in the solo it was kind of closer to Bud Powell. Could be Cecil Taylor paying hommage to Erroll Garner, or maybe some unissued Meade Lux Lewis trying his hand at modern styles? I'll have to say I just don't know.

2. Oh my God, as I was listening to this track the dog bit the baby! There's blood everywhere! Dog could be rabid. I'll have to return to this track tomorrow.

3. I hate this. That tenor player should be shot--all he's doing is rehashing the harmonic schemes and pet licks of Chu Berry in the period 1933-35. I mean, if he'd concentrated on Berry's 1938 work, that would have changed everything. Not only that, he came in on the wrong chord in bar 92! What an amateur.

4. Interesting Latin jazz percussion workout. Desi Arnaz?

5. DEFINITELY Stan Getz, probably with his quartet of Kenny Barron, Rufus Reid and Victor Lewis. The tune is "If I Wished Upon A Star." Brilliant.

(after answers are revealed):

1. I would never have guessed Lennie Tristano! I'll have to pick this up ASAP!

2. We had to put the dog down.

3. Wow, Steve Lacy's tone is so dark sometimes, I could have sworn this was a tenor! On listening to this a second time, I can hear now that it's "Blue Monk." Still, not my cup of tea.

4. Babatunde Olatunji? Is he an Afro-Cuban?

5. Pretty smooth performance, I wouldn't have expected this from Archie Shepp. It's interesting - I do think there are similarities between "If I Wished Upon a Star" and "Rufus (Swung, His Face at Last to the Wind, Then His Neck Snapped)," but they're pretty subtle.

1. The reed squeaks give it away-this has got to be Bird. You know that's why he got the nickname, right?

2. Smooth yet rough, yin and yang in equal measure. Considering that she does everything "rough" I'm going to say its Tina Turner with Yanni.

3. Theme from Mighty Mouse, but this is the Jim Carrey version. Sweet!

1. "Songs for Kazoo and Screaming Whistle" by Big Toe Stewart and the Grangers. Excellent performance.

2. MC Hammer's "You Can't Touch This" performed by the Avram Malemsteen Accordian Quartet on the "Live at the House of Beef" album. Classic.

3. "Get Away from My Mother" by Morrie Mo and the Mo-Fos. Is this a bootleg? I don't remember all the screams of "How's the soup?" on the LP.

4. Ah...a rare alternate take of "So What" from Kind of Blue with Avram Malemsteen sitting in on accordian. It's only 30 seconds long. It cuts off after Miles says, "Oh my God! Who the fuck let that guy in here?"

5. This is a great recording. "Needa Nuttin' Fo' Sho' Fo' Fo'." A rare Blind Lemon Pye 78. The amazing thing about Blind Lemon Pye was that he wasn't blind, he didn't play guitar, and he didn't sing. Most of his 78s involve him crying, "Git dat goddamn microphone outta mah face! Ah'm tryin' to take a bath!"

6. Oh God, someone always drags out Vinnie & Vinnie D'Angelis doing "Grotto of My Heart." Please. This is so cliche. If you have to have a Vinnie & Vinnie tune, why not "Liver and Onions (and Salt Water Taffy)?"

7. Whoah! Is that Little Johnny Kneecap? Not sure if it's "Stop Hurting Me" or "Give Me Ten Cents (So I Can Feed The Meter)."

8. Ok, that's one's too weird for me. Is it Otis Otis? George "Milk Up My Nose" Lozenge?

9. I know that one! "Cracking Knuckles" by Sid "Knuckles" Cracker. Good one!

10. Hmmm. It's either Charlie Parker or a dog with it's tail on fire. Hard to say.

Edited by Alexander

Clyde McCool

Gnubie

Vocation: ?

First of all, bare with me hear... I'm sorta new at this. Theirs not a lot of jazz in my collexion yet. Anyways, Jack Slick was nice enuf to send me the DVD, so I'm gonna give this a shot.

1. Interesting. This is Dexter Gordon, playing the Selmer he got from Ben (this was the 7th time he used the horn, and on this day he was using a brand new reed). Obviously one of the private recordings from Holland, with Rein de Graaff on piano, Henk Haverhoek (knew it immediately) on bass, and Eric Ineke on drums. The tune is of course "Mrs. Miniver". This song was named for my aunt. Long story.

2. Wes Montgomery and John Coltrane doing "Impressions". What a coincidence that Jack would choose this. It was recorded in my apartment. Weird night- there was this strange sort of ball of light that came through the window during the recording... almost like Glinda the Good Witch coming to check it out, you know? Wild.

3. Is that Buddy Bolden? Sure sounds like him.

Well, I'll add some more later- gotta go to my squaredance practice.

• 1 year later...