Favorite Mosaic

Impossible to pick a "favorite". I have pretty much the same sets that most people have (Hill, Larry Young, Morgan, McLean, Rivers, Gerald Wilson, Blakey and Fuller) but the one that I seem to keep coming back to is the Thad Jones 3CD set. It's just a great set of music!

I love 'em all. The Mulligan has been the most recent source of listening pleasure, but my all time favorite is the first one I bought, the Thad/Mel. The sound w/o that bizarre reverb is outstanding- you can hear every part clearly.

Of course, there's the Larry Young.......and the Blakey.............and the JJ......and Curtis.......and Woody..........and the other Woody.....nope, it's still Thad.

I would have to go with Free For All on this one - The Thad/Mel set is the one I would keep if I could only keep one. What 5 after that - The Basie live, the Thad small groups, the Mobley, the Mulligan Concert Band, the McLean, & the Kenton Holman/Russo charts Oh, that's six, probably I would scratch off the Thad small groups. It's great but too short (only 3 discs!)

So many great ones. . . the Pops. . . the Capitol. . . the HRS. . . the Charlie Parker. . . the Herbie Nichols. . . and others. . . .

Maybe I'd say the Parker or the Capitol. The former is just such a huge effort and so important. The Capitol has such a variety of great music in great sound that is hard or impossible to find on cd elsewhere. . .