Least Favorite Mosaic

vibes

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

overall it is just wicked corny to my ears.

Do I detect a New England native?

I've probably mentioned it before, but the Illinois Jacquet box was a patchy and disappointing set for me.

Haha. Indeed, I'm the guy who mentioned I'm from Sharon, MA when the topic of Jewish holidays came up.

The Jacquet is great! But as so often with these most/least favourite threads, it's just a question of time before each set has been mentioned :)

MG, I think you'd like the Jacquet a lot! It's full of hot jump music, great blues and marvellous ballads playing. You also get a few nice sideman, towards the end (on the RCA sessions on disc 4) even some boppers such as JJ Johnson. The long dates with Emmett Berry are lovely as well (one half was originally released under Berry's name and the other one under Jacquet's).

For me, the only Mosaic box I bought that I dislike is the Tristano/Konitz/Marsh set. I enjoy the Warne Marsh stuff, but Konitz to me is the audio equivalant of watching paint dry. The Tristano solo stuff was interesting to hear once, but I just can't get into it. This set gets no play anymore.

For me, the only Mosaic box I bought that I dislike is the Tristano/Konitz/Marsh set. I enjoy the Warne Marsh stuff, but Konitz to me is the audio equivalant of watching paint dry. The Tristano solo stuff was interesting to hear once, but I just can't get into it. This set gets no play anymore.

Wow, I'm surprised to hear that. It is one that I like more than I anticipated, in fact. Hope you still liked Larry's booklet notes! Brilliant articulation of the Tristano-ites there, if I recall.

The Jacquet is great! But as so often with these most/least favourite threads, it's just a question of time before each set has been mentioned :)

MG, I think you'd like the Jacquet a lot! It's full of hot jump music, great blues and marvellous ballads playing. You also get a few nice sideman, towards the end (on the RCA sessions on disc 4) even some boppers such as JJ Johnson. The long dates with Emmett Berry are lovely as well (one half was originally released under Berry's name and the other one under Jacquet's).

Oh yes, I know. I should have bought it but I've already had for years all the Aladdin sides and most of the Apollo sides on LP and most or many of the RCA sides on CD. At the time, I just couldn't justify to myself lashing out on a box for the sake of a bit extra, y'know?

Same as the Amos Milburn. Should have bought that, but already had about half the material on 78, LP and CD.

MG

Yes! I'd love a Verve Mosaic!

The problem only is that Lonehill has four volumes compiling all that material, I think. At least the later. The earliest of it was on the Jacquet/Webster Verve Elite disc, and one of the albums (also on a Lonehill twofer) was in the LPR series. So alas, I'm afraid that's never going to happen.

Yes! I'd love a Verve Mosaic!

The problem only is that Lonehill has four volumes compiling all that material, I think. At least the later. The earliest of it was on the Jacquet/Webster Verve Elite disc, and one of the albums (also on a Lonehill twofer) was in the LPR series. So alas, I'm afraid that's never going to happen.

I didn't know that. Something to look into next year. And also to get all my Argo/Cadet Jacquets converted to Lonehill CDs.

MG

I think we discussed it before, in a thread where it wasn't that much off-topic (maybe even a Jacquet thread?) - but hey, I keep forgetting such things all the time, too! With all those spanish labels, things can get quite complicated!

Least favorite Mosaic? T-Bone Walker, by miles. The music just doesn't do it for me. I have been very close to selling it many times but for some reason it is still on my shelves.

I've probably mentioned it before, but the Illinois Jacquet box was a patchy and disappointing set for me.

Haha. Indeed, I'm the guy who mentioned I'm from Sharon, MA when the topic of Jewish holidays came up.

Wicked.

If you've still got it, I'd quite like that one.

MG

Got it and keeping it, too. I meant that it was "patchy and disappointing" only in RELATIVE terms. There's still plenty of individual tracks that I like and I'm not planning on giving it up in this lifetime, I assure you. Sorry.

If you've still got it, I'd quite like that one.

MG

Got it and keeping it, too. I meant that it was "patchy and disappointing" only in RELATIVE terms. There's still plenty of individual tracks that I like and I'm not planning on giving it up in this lifetime, I assure you. Sorry.

Worth a try :)

MG

I also thought it sold out pretty fast - maybe indeed some people bought it for Mulligan and didn't except it to be what it is...

Hmm, I guess the expectations gap runs both ways then. Personally I see this band as more a logical extension of the Birth of the Cool band and less a "big band."

Wow, I love the Mulligan! Some of the best big band writing in the modern idiom that I've heard! Up there with the Clarke-Boland and Jones-Lewis bands!

Agreed, Flurin!

Same here. I had been looking forward to this set forever. As it's been said, it's probably a matter of expectations, but to hope for a big brassy, muscular band with Mulligan on top and Bob Brookmeyer as best mate, I don't know...

I love this set.

F

Wow, I love the Mulligan! Some of the best big band writing in the modern idiom that I've heard! Up there with the Clarke-Boland and Jones-Lewis bands!

I also thought it sold out pretty fast - maybe indeed some people bought it for Mulligan and didn't except it to be what it is...

Well the George Russell composition is good and that's about it.......and I think they repeated that twice. I am not an avid Mosaic buyer probably because I don't like overlaps and filler material. But the 3 Mosaic Selects I have(Pullen, Tolliver & Herman) are real fine and don't have alot of the excesses that the regular mosaic's seem to have.

If you are not an "avid Mosaic buyer" and apparently haven't had many Mosaics, why say that the regular Mosaics seem to have "filler material" and "a lot of excesses"? You're using pretty strong words for something you don't even seem to be sure about.

Edited by J.A.W.

The larger Mosaic box sets seek to present a certain entire body of work of an artist, warts and all. Sometimes even the more unsuccessful works and alternates can give a better appreciation of the development and accomplishments of an artist. In the digital age, programming out the lesser material for desired listening is not a big deal any more.