Suggest Some Robert Mitchum

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been wanting to see "The Friends of Eddie Coyle" for a long time now, never found a copy over this side of the pond. :angry: :angry: :angry:

EddieCoyle2.jpg

For ages it was unavailable anywhere, until Criterion (God bless them) recently put it out on DVD.

Looks like it's not out in the UK region though, in case Cliff doesn't have a multi-region player. Or at least not on Amazon UK - I checked while investigating music over there.

Looks like it's not out in the UK region though, in case Cliff doesn't have a multi-region player. Or at least not on Amazon UK - I checked while investigating music over there.

That stinks. It's time (past time) to do away with this "region 1, region 2" crapola. "One region for the whole world!" that's my rallying cry.

Does anyone know if The Big Steal was ever released as a black & white Region 2 DVD? I can only find colourized Region 2 versions...

Don't know, but if you can find it in black & white, Region 2, grab it. Such a fun movie. Sort of a comedy-Noir, if such a mixture makes sense; hugely entertaining.

On the other hand, Cliff, you had the only decent version of Charley Varrick for a long time... Region coding is utter 'shite' is ya'll say anyway but I empathize.

Chinatown btw is a HORRIBLE movie, most overrated of the '70s, perhaps, and of one the most overrated of all time.

Friends of Eddie Coyle is peak Mitchum; also The Lusty Men (which gets you weird Nick Ray at the same time) and for weirdness value, Track of the Cat is very good, one of the best SNOW WESTERNS and one of William Wellman's most interesting films; not quite The Ox-Bow Incident but estimable.

Most of Mitchum's noir/crime is overrated, I think, inc. Night of the Hunter, which is high grade schlock; read Robert Fitzgerald books instead if you want Time Inc. lit.

I've been wanting to see "The Friends of Eddie Coyle" for a long time now, never found a copy over this side of the pond. :angry: :angry: :angry:

EddieCoyle2.jpg

On the other hand, Cliff, you had the only decent version of Charley Varrick for a long time... Region coding is utter 'shite' is ya'll say anyway but I empathize.

Chinatown btw is a HORRIBLE movie, most overrated of the '70s, perhaps, and of one the most overrated of all time.

Friends of Eddie Coyle is peak Mitchum; also The Lusty Men (which gets you weird Nick Ray at the same time) and for weirdness value, Track of the Cat is very good, one of the best SNOW WESTERNS and one of William Wellman's most interesting films; not quite The Ox-Bow Incident but estimable.

Most of Mitchum's noir/crime is overrated, I think, inc. Night of the Hunter, which is high grade schlock; read Robert Fitzgerald books instead if you want Time Inc. lit.

EddieCoyle2.jpg

So Chinatown is HORRIBLE & Night Of The Hunter is high grade schlock. I see, thanks for enlightening us.

Lusty Men? Me, I like rodeo! But what I saw was just too many rodeo scenes. Can't imagine it would go over for most people. It just reminded me how much better the rodeo scenes and the aftermath partying were in The Misfits.

Now, Heaven Knows Mr. Allison has him as the orphan who joined the Marines and made it his family, then he's heroic protecting Deborah Kerr and making a Marine landing of his island safe. It's not bulldogging, but it works for me!

Last thing I saw was a tv movie with him playing a prisoner, broken out of jail by faithful kids. The guy was an evil SOB and I felt dirt was kicked on his rep. The film still bothers me. Don't remember the title but....

He was a fine actor.

The movie is called A Killer in the Family

He played a scary, scumbag, lowlife killer.

I thought about putting that on but really, nice as it is, El Dorado pales before Rio Bravo.

Not sure I agree about "Misfits" >>>>>>>>>> "The Lusty Men" but its arguable if you don't bother with the Nick Ray parts (which one needs not do tho' I think it's worth the effort).

Fat City >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> fucking Chinatown all day every day forever; the veneration of which is untenable; Walter Matthau destroys Nicholson in every way possible too, except biker films, which are Nicholson's only lasting contribution.

Night of the Hunter is, I repeat, high grade schlock-- it's what Agee did when he wasn't entirely focused and occasionally when he was.

now a real contest is Friends of Eddie Coyle versus The Laughing Policeman.

That's what Moms are for!

El Dorado with John Wayne. A classic.

Track of the Cat is very good, one of the best SNOW WESTERNS and one of

The best "snow Western" IMO is Andre De Toth's "Day of the Outlaw," with Robert Ryan and Burl Ives:

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/harsh-master/Content?oid=894500

P.S. FWIW, the real authors of "The Night of the Hunter" are Davis Grubb (who wrote the novel) and director Charles Laughton. James Agee's script (I say this based on information from the best film critic I know) was virtually non-existent; Agee was too far gone on drink to produce much of anything. What was printed as Agee's script was what Laughton came up with, adhering closely to Grubb's novel.

LK, bravo-- that is the correct answer! Best Burl villian this side of "Wind Across The Everglades" and one of the best lesser-known Robert Ryan roles; De Toth too is nearly always interesting, at least. I vacillate on "McCabe & Mrs. Miller," which is only other real contender re: snow, but I once thought it superb (and it may still be tho' "Reds" is probably better, DESPITE fucking Nicholson).

I think I knew that about Agee but forgot it; his film work en toto is, I think, a distraction from his real literary merit.

Critic JR or someone else?

Track of the Cat is very good, one of the best SNOW WESTERNS and one of

The best "snow Western" IMO is Andre De Toth's "Day of the Outlaw," with Robert Ryan and Burl Ives:

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/harsh-master/Content?oid=894500

P.S. FWIW, the real authors of "The Night of the Hunter" are Davis Grubb (who wrote the novel) and director Charles Laughton. James Agee's script (I say this based on information from the best film critic I know) was virtually non-existent; Agee was too far gone on drink to produce much of anything. What was printed as Agee's script was what Laughton came up with, adhering closely to Grubb's novel.

TTK, I'm not surprised that some here question my preference for Mitchum's Big Sleep over Bogart's. IMO Bogart's Big Sleep is his most overrated movie.

So here's what I suggest: First watch Mitchum in Farewell My Lovely. I think that of all the Philip Marlowe movies, that film best captures Raymond Chandler's hard-boiled mood.

Then next watch Bogart's Big Sleep. Decide for yourself who is more credible as Philip Marlowe - Bogart or Mitchum.

Then third watch Mitchum's Big Sleep. I felt at the time of its release that I would have enjoyed it much more if it had been set in 1940's Los Angeles than in contemporary England, but that was the decision that was made, and I feel that a film should be judged on what it is rather than what could have been.

After you have seen Mitchum's Big Sleep, decide for yourself which of the Big Sleeps had the better script that made more sense, and which of the two had actors who were more believable in their roles.

Yes, Mitchum (at the right age) would have been much more like my mind's-eye view of Marlowe than Bogart was, but Mitchum by 1978 was at least two decades too old to play the role, and Bogart's "Big Sleep" was the work of a great director, Howard Hawks, while Mitchum's was directed by a hack, Michael Winner.

That stinks. It's time (past time) to do away with this "region 1, region 2" crapola. "One region for the whole world!" that's my rallying cry.

There are hacks out there to make some DVD players region free. Read about one for a Philips player I have(read about it on an amazon review!) and it seemed to work via the instructions, but I have not had the moola to buy anything overseas to see if it would work...here is a list I just found on the web

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/philips-dvp-642/4117

Yes, Mitchum (at the right age) would have been much more like my mind's-eye view of Marlowe than Bogart was, but Mitchum by 1978 was at least two decades too old to play the role, and Bogart's "Big Sleep" was the work of a great director, Howard Hawks, while Mitchum's was directed by a hack, Michael Winner.

Right on target with both points, Larry.