2010-2011 Hot Stove Thread

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First time in the last 25 or so years I've had real withdrawal pains after a season's end... what else can explain watching MLBN's Play Of The Month show from freakin' May and actually getting into it? :g

I always feel that way after the World Series, I can't wait for spring training to begin!

On the subject of "end of season shock"...about 2-3 minutes after the end of Game 5, there was still most of the night's crowd still seated in the Ballpark. A spontaneous "Let's go Rangers" chant began & soon had taken over the crowd. It lasted for a good 45-60 seconds & was one of the most moving collective public displays I've ever experienced, a mass "thank you" combined with a request for a curtain call combined with a seeming belief that if we tried, really tried, hard enough, we could get one more game, one more inning, hell, just one more pitch out of the season.

Of course, that was impossible, but I tell you, I was "nearly" moved to tears by the sheer sudden finality of it all. Not even when I was into one team (mine or anybody else's) for an entire season did it hit that hard. I used to think that the Bart Giamatti thing was just a tad ripe, and no doubt it is, but still, it's hitting home now:

It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come out, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone.

You count on it, rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops.

I love that quote. It's a bit ripe, you're right, but it's onto something... Jsngry, keep an eye out for Roger Angell's postseason baseball piece that always appears in the New Yorker a couple of weeks after the Series ends. It'll be interesting to read what he has to say about the Rangers.

Here's a hot-stove note to keep your hands warm: I don't have the MLB Network (just the GameDay audio package, which I have to say is a helluva bargain at $19 for a full season of baseball on the radio), but for those who do, there'll be a rebroadcast of the 1960 World Series Game 7 this December, taken from the kinescope they found in Bing Crosby's wine cellar.

Edited by ghost of miles

Here's a hot-stove note to keep your hands warm: I don't have the MLB Network (just the GameDay audio package, which I have to say is a helluva bargain at $19 for a full season of baseball on the radio), but for those who do, there'll be a rebroadcast of the 1960 World Series Game 7 this December, taken from the kinescope they found in Bing Crosby's wine cellar.

Oh yeah, I gotta see that!

What's the deal with MLBN anyway? We've had it on our menu for over a year now, but I always though that it was a premium service that was like the NBA package - that it was a portal to team-specific pay services or something like that. Now i found out that, no, it's not a premium service (at least not here) and no, it's not team specific, and yes, it does go 24/7/365, so...YEAH!

Is it (probably) just because I live in a MLB market that this is not a premium channel, or what?

And one more thing, please - not having really locked into the game for a few years now until this August, what's up with all the broken bats? Is the wood that much crappier these days? Seems kind of out-of-control to me...

MLB Network is not a "premium" channel anywhere, I don't think. They were much smarter than the NFL Network which has a hard time getting on most cable providers in the lower-tier packages, or at all in some areas.

As for the bats, there was a big change in the wood used and that coincided with a lot more broken bats. Players like the new bats however - until someone really gets hurt.

Vlad Guerrero's option declined, but Texas still interested in bringing him back, just at a lower price.

The NY Post had an article today where Joel Sherman actually suggested Zach Greinke as a good trade for the Yanks! He's a talented pitcher, but he's got social anxiety problems and you want him in the biggest fishbowl in baseball???!!! The guy may jump off a bridge!

I think the Rangers should be making a move to groom Vlad for a front-office position. From all accounts he accepts, and is quite successful at, serving as a role model/positive influence in the clubhouse, especially for the clubs' younger Latino players.

Here's some sad news:

Sparky Anderson placed under hospice care

http://texas.rangers...ws_mlb&c_id=mlb

Edited by JSngry

When did the wood change? And from what to what? I mean, I was used to seeing broken bats every few weeks or so...

I honestly can't recall what type of wood is now used. Its been a couple of years of a lot of shattered bats. The bigger issue is the way they shatter - lots of shards instead of sawing off the handle or chipping/cracking.

A lot of players use maple wood bats now. There is a controversy over if they are dangerous or not, numerous bats have broken and flown into the stands and hit people. In September, a maple bat broke, and a splinter pierced Tyler Colvin's chest. There have been loud calls from various quarters to ban these bats.

Article on the issue here

I enjoyed the past season even though my Red Sox couldn't quite get there.I am shocked, shocked I say, that the SF Giants took the series. Congrats to them, pitching rules. And along that line, what do you Ranger fans hear about how seriously they will work to keep Cliff Lee (and keep him out of NY)?

I wish it were otherwise, Tom but its a lost cause. Lee said all the right things while the Rangers were in it, because that's what ballplayers do, but it was just words. He'll go to New York where lefties thrive and to play with Sabathia again and cash Hal Steinbrenner's checks.

Our only realistic hope is the fact that he is 32 and has a balky back. The Yankees give him a 5 year deal and maybe they ultimately regret it.

I'd have to agree with Dan on this one, the Yankees are really the only team that can offer 6 years for 120 million. At that price, does it make sense for any other team to go that high? What team can even go that high? Money talks, and it's really going to be all on Lee to decide if he wants to go to the Yankees or not, but how could he turn down that kind of money?

The one free-agent saga that will be fun to watch is Derek Jeter's, it's dumbfounding that he's asking for six years, 120 million. Hal Steinbrenner, IMVHO, wants to get rid of Jeter, and I for one, say: Good riddance to Jeter. I am so sick of hearing how Jeter is a True Yankeeâ„¢, I could scream. You know, the Dodger's used to talk all the time about who and who wasn't a True Dodgerâ„¢ -- funny how losing cuts that kind of talk fast. It would be hilarious to have the Mets sign Jeter, and stick him at shortstop, what a way to end a career.

Oh yeah, I gotta see that!

What's the deal with MLBN anyway? We've had it on our menu for over a year now, but I always though that it was a premium service that was like the NBA package - that it was a portal to team-specific pay services or something like that. Now i found out that, no, it's not a premium service (at least not here) and no, it's not team specific, and yes, it does go 24/7/365, so...YEAH!

Is it (probably) just because I live in a MLB market that this is not a premium channel, or what?

And one more thing, please - not having really locked into the game for a few years now until this August, what's up with all the broken bats? Is the wood that much crappier these days? Seems kind of out-of-control to me...

MLB network isn't available on DISH, but is on Direct TV. I switched after Fox sports and DISH got into a pissing contest over the last 3 games of the season, and I didn't get to see the last games(I would have truly lost me shit if the Braves had lost on the last day, didn't even get to see Bobby Cox's last game-Hate his style of managing, but here forever) so after their stupid offer of other sports channels I didn't want, plus getting to save about $30 a month for a year, went to Direct. Can't wait to see this 1960 game! :)

We shall see.

I agree--I don't believe either that it's a slam-dunk on Lee signing with the Yankees. And for the reasons Dan stated, I'm rather ambivalent about it myself.

As for Jeter, I wouldn't be surprised if he wants 6 yrs/120 million, but if he doesn't settle for 4/80 (which would be very generous IMO, given his already-started decline), then I think NY would be well within its rights to say, "OK... go ahead and test the market." Seriously, especially on the heels of this past year, who's going to give him even my suggested 4 yrs/80 million? A 36-yr-old shortstop who hit .270? The guy's truly great, I'd love to see him finish his career with the Yankees, he's in the pantheon of team legends, but as much as the organization needs to consider what he's done for them in the past, he needs to consider what he's going to be able to do for them past age 40...not much of anything. NY created this problem in part by tending such an excessive offer to A-Rod, not to mention they'll be paying A.J. Burnett $16.5 million a year for the next three years... difficult to ask Jete to come down to that level of pay, even if he is declining, when you're shelling out that much for a pitcher to get shelled right back on a regular basis. I think the Yankees should make DJ a fair offer and then sit back. Work on developing the farm system, bringing along more players like Cano and Phil Hughes, who are the future. Start grooming a new closer to take over for Mo in a couple of years. Try to work on honing Jesus Montero's defensive skills to prepare him for inheriting Posada's spot. Figure out if Nunez really is the guy to take over for Jeter at shortstop.

NY's had a very good ride over the past 15 years with the Core 4 as a nucleus. It's time to start moving on, and Andy Pettitte, Jorge Posada, and Mo Rivera have been pretty gracious in their contract negotiations about acknowledging their aging status (and they've still been paid quite well, IMO). If Jeter takes a really hard line on a ridiculous contract demand, he's going to risk ultimately damaging his image/reputation in the twilight of his career.

The one free-agent saga that will be fun to watch is Derek Jeter's, it's dumbfounding that he's asking for six years, 120 million. Hal Steinbrenner, IMVHO, wants to get rid of Jeter, and I for one, say: Good riddance to Jeter. I am so sick of hearing how Jeter is a True Yankeeâ„¢, I could scream. You know, the Dodger's used to talk all the time about who and who wasn't a True Dodgerâ„¢ -- funny how losing cuts that kind of talk fast.

I'd say only that the Yankees failed to win a World Series title for eight straight years between 2001 and 2008, and I don't think it made a whit of difference in how people think about Jeter--so I don't think failing to repeat as champs in 2010 is going to do any great harm to his image as a "true Yankee" either. What could harm it would be refusing to agree to a reasonable deal. Hopefully this is just posturing on his and his agent's part... good Lord, even if he'd had another 2009-type year in 2010, it would be a difficult deal to contemplate, but on the heels of 2010? :blink:

Funny thing is I think he'll bounce back somewhat at the plate next year and hit around .290 or so. He'd already started hitting more effectively in the last month of the season after working with Long on his approach. But I don't think he'll ever have a 2009-type season again, and I don't expect him to clear .300 again either. And his defense, which has already slipped a lot, will only get worse.

Some local media "insiders" (such as they are...) are speculating/reporting that the Rangers' trump card on Lee might be years offered, that they're willing to risk "too long" (i.e. - 5-6 years) of a contract in order to have him here for the next 3-4 years. If that's true, combine that with the lifestyle-preference/quality-of-life issue as well as the potential to become a True Texas Legend (which basically is equivalent to being a made man in the Mafia, you're gold no matter what you do for/with the rest of your life...), and you have a dynamic that reduces the Yankee Slam Dunk Factor down to a "we shall see", which certainly still allows for money ultimately talking louder than anything else...

As mentioned earlier the lack of an income tax in Texas means they can offer less money and have it be equal in take home pay. The author is making assumptions the family moves from Arkansas which might not happen wherever he signs. I'm not sure how the math works as far as counting days of residency when one's job requires being on the road for 1/2 of the working year. I think clearing Vlad off the books may have been an attempt to have some spending money.

As far as the champs go, I think if anyone were in the market for Werth it'd be them. The staff is locked inbso they might as well overpay for a bat. I don't think they should expect Cody Ross to play like he did in the postseason over the course of a season.

Edited by Quincy

The author is making assumptions the family moves from Arkansas which might not happen wherever he signs.

I'd not assume that, but DFW to Bentonville, Arkansas is a quick flight (3 hours, I've heard, I know you can drive it in about 4 1/2-5 from Plano, add about another hour for Arlington), and apparently both Mr. & Mrs. Lee's parents still live in or around there.