2010-2011 Hot Stove Thread

File under Nothing Personal, It's Just Business...

Giants decline Renteria's 2011 option

http://texas.rangers...ws_mlb&c_id=mlb

No one is going pay Renteria $10.5 million, he's proved he can't be an everyday player. I'm sure the Giants would love to have him, and pay around $4-5 million, but Edgar should retire, go out on top, and never have to pay for another drink/dinner in San Francisco.

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jon Miller & Joe Morgan out as announcers of Sunday Night Baseball on ESPN. Reaction: THANK YOU! Miller's good doing the Giants game, but Morgan brought the worst out of him -- the endless talking, the know-it-all-ism, the impressions, all in a bad way. And Morgan :rolleyes: Did you know he played MLB baseball? It's true, and he'll tell you all about it also.

Jon Miller & Joe Morgan out as announcers of Sunday Night Baseball on ESPN. Reaction: THANK YOU! Miller's good doing the Giants game, but Morgan brought the worst out of him -- the endless talking, the know-it-all-ism, the impressions, all in a bad way. And Morgan :rolleyes: Did you know he played MLB baseball? It's true, and he'll tell you all about it also.

Now if Fox would just follow suit and get rid of Buck/McCarver I could start watching baseball games w/ the sound on again.

Time for some new blood- the TBS guys were good in the playoffs.

Jon Miller is very good, but I'll take Duaine Kuiper and Mike Krukow any day.

As to the Hot Stove: Giants are going after Aubrey Huff in a big way as well as Juan Uribe [though I'm not really sure why; the Designated Out].

I figued Renteria was out [34 and oft injured; and how he got the WS MVP is beyond me. Captain Doulble Play...really?]; bullpen pitchers Ramirez, Ray [maybe] and Mota will probably go. Rowand [though I love the guy] is unlikely I figure; Burrell, well...I really don't think he'll be back [maybe a Fresno contract w/Rowand?]; Fontenot, maybe as a bench guy/PH; Sandoval could be trade bait as well as Jonathan Sanchez.

Now, if the Giants could only dump Zito...any takers?

I don't really think Jeter is going anywhere. Why not ask for six years? The worst they can say is no. I also think he will bounce back and have a good year. Would be surprised if he didn't. According to yesterdays Times, the Yanks have already contacted Lee's agent. No surprise there. Also read that Posada's role will be even more limited this year.

As far as my team goes, Alderson has said they won't be active as they need to get rid of some big contracts before they can do anything. Look for another ho hum year or two before they get better. No manager yet but Terry Collins I said to be a favorite. That's not going to make the fans too happy.

Well, I still bleed Dodger Blue, for what it's worth. If they don't go after some big bats and arms this off season, there won't be anything to get excited about. Last off season all they did was let all the depth walk, so I knew they wouldn't be as formidable.

Well, I still bleed Dodger Blue, for what it's worth. If they don't go after some big bats and arms this off season, there won't be anything to get excited about. Last off season all they did was let all the depth walk, so I knew they wouldn't be as formidable.

Letting Mannywood go didn't help the cause. Without him, they don't have the power at the plate they need.

Pitching is so-so.

The messy McCourt divorce will prove to be the Dodgers steady demise.

That's a joke right? Useful career advice. Go out and get an arm transplant and get some of those magic beans that Jack got from the beanstalk.

Brad,Check out the web address. Perhaps they have gotten too good at faking stories! ;)

Also I noticed this from the article....

Use your six-month break from work every year wisely, and take some time to recharge and be ready to do your best when work starts again in April.

Whoever wrote this is not a big fan of the game, perhaps just watches the playoffs....

Edited by BERIGAN

Dave Niehaus, voice of the Seattle Mariners, passed away yesterday of a heart attack. Very sad news, he was a great broadcaster. :(

I tend to zone out during local sports due to all of the Duck stuff. So I was stunned this morning turning to page C5 (FIVE?!) to read Dave Niehaus was dead.

I grew up hearing Jack Buck, Jack Brickhouse, Harry Carey, Vin Scully on national games and even Ernie Harwell on a good night via the AM radio. Each uniquely great, and yes, I'd put Niehaus amongst them. Like Brickhouse he had to announce for a team that didn't play well most of the time and that takes talent. Which may be why he got just a little exited later on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOWnLqjF40g

Amazing, the braves got Dan Uggla for Omar Infante and Mike Dunn. I love Infante, but no power to speak of, and some were saying he would go back to being a super sub. Mike Dunn(thanks for him Ghost, Marty, etc! ;) ) was basically our 4th best lefty last year...so, to get a 30 HR 2nd baseman without giving up any of the elite arms in the minors...Frank Wren should get GM of the year right now.

But can the Braves keep Uggla? The Marlins offered him 4yrs/48mil and he said no to that?!!

Well, don't know yet. If Chipper retires after 2011, that would free up the money it would seem. If not, well, get a draft pick. Didn't have to give up the world to get him...really can't figure out why the Marlins had to do something in such a hurry, but it worked out well for the Braves!

Nolan doesn't share your certainty: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704104104575622921851592864.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

As much as I'm hoping for that, just for what it would signify as far as establishing the franchise as, finally, one that comes to play, I do have concerns about:

• Age & back problems
  • The rumored dislike of the Texas heat. WUSS!!! Just man up and take it like the rest of us. I've mowed lawns, cleaned attics, changed flats, and done damn near everything else in this heat longer than Cliff Lee has been alive - including playing baseball (albeit as a kid, although also albeit from sunup to sundown), and I am in no way a even semi-well conditioned professional athlete (although you can say the same thing about some professional baseball players!), so just deal with it, ok?
  • Mister Lee does not pitch on short rest? Mister Lee seriously needs to reconsider that position if & when it becomes truly necessary. Seriously reconsider it.
  • Regular season performance - usually good to very good, but only once great. And the whole "master of the post-season" thing took a serious hit this year. Twice.

All things considered, we need the guy, both for performance and for symbolic value (plus he freakin' owes us at least one WS win!), and there's no real alternative on the market this year, but... if we don't land him (and I'm prepared for that to happen...), I can only hope that whatever staff we end up with nest season takes their humiliation in the Series as motivation to dig deep and find their inner Colby Lewis - and that Colby Lewis has indeed found his inner Colby Lewis and decides to stay there.

And I hope that if we do land him, that he doesn't turn into (or even try to turn into) some kind of prima donna. That would suck even worse than losing him. If he goes to the Yankees, he'll not be expected to be a "leader". Not so here.

More money and less pressure (sic)? I think the Yankees have a deal.

Nolan doesn't share your certainty: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704104104575622921851592864.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

As much as I'm hoping for that, just for what it would signify as far as establishing the franchise as, finally, one that comes to play, I do have concerns about:

• Age & back problems
  • The rumored dislike of the Texas heat. WUSS!!! Just man up and take it like the rest of us. I've mowed lawns, cleaned attics, changed flats, and done damn near everything else in this heat longer than Cliff Lee has been alive - including playing baseball (albeit as a kid, although also albeit from sunup to sundown), and I am in no way a even semi-well conditioned professional athlete (although you can say the same thing about some professional baseball players!), so just deal with it, ok?
  • Mister Lee does not pitch on short rest? Mister Lee seriously needs to reconsider that position if & when it becomes truly necessary. Seriously reconsider it.
  • Regular season performance - usually good to very good, but only once great. And the whole "master of the post-season" thing took a serious hit this year. Twice.

All things considered, we need the guy, both for performance and for symbolic value (plus he freakin' owes us at least one WS win!), and there's no real alternative on the market this year, but... if we don't land him (and I'm prepared for that to happen...), I can only hope that whatever staff we end up with nest season takes their humiliation in the Series as motivation to dig deep and find their inner Colby Lewis - and that Colby Lewis has indeed found his inner Colby Lewis and decides to stay there.

And I hope that if we do land him, that he doesn't turn into (or even try to turn into) some kind of prima donna. That would suck even worse than losing him. If he goes to the Yankees, he'll not be expected to be a "leader". Not so here.

More money and less pressure (sic)? I think the Yankees have a deal.

Like the Philly heat is better?

I love Nolan Ryan, but I think he may have his signals crossed here.

If Cliff Lee goes away, the Rangers will become just another also-ran in the AL West.

He stays.