2010-2011 Hot Stove Thread

Tom Vandergriff, the mayor of Arlington who was instrumental in bringing the Rangers to Arlington has died: http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101230&content_id=16376690&vkey=news_tex&c_id=tex

Interesting piece here about Vandergriff's efforts eventually succeeded in spite of political pressure at both the Texas and national level: Presidents Were No Match For Tom Vandergriff

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beltre appears to be all but a done deal: http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110104&content_id=16387130&vkey=news_tex&c_id=tex

It's funny listening to all the sports media & vocal fandom....we're just not used to the Rangers making serious attempts to play at this level in the marketplace. An odd mixture of excitement & apprehension is in the air, people just not knowing quite what to make of this.

Well at least he's always hit in that ballpark, though that was off of Ranger pitching. ;) (I know, things have changed). 6 years for a guy turning 32 this April with only 2 good seasons, which as Matthew has noted were both contract years. So you know he'll have a good year as a 37 year old, but other than that. :lol: So becomes of company man Michael Young?

Beltre's offense should be adequate. The Rangers never lack for offense, so his non-contract-year average production will be adequate.

His defense, though, will represent a significant upgrade over Young's, which has been roundly and loudly criticized in these parts.

As for Young, current plans are to have him serve as a "super-sub" (aka busier than average utility player) and sometimes(?) DH. He's gone public with being ok with this, although you gotta wonder what his real feelings are. Right now he's being hailed as a consummate team player, etc.

How this affects the resigning of Vlad remains to be seen. I think we need to have him in order to make the stated plans for Young viable, but who knows how this all plays out.

Bottom line - between Andrus and Beltre, the left side of the Rangers infield is none too shabby defensively. I'll take it over Young & Andrus any day. As well as some more pitching...

The 6th year, btw, is contingent on meeting performance standards in years 4 & 5. At least it was per the grapevine.

Exactly:

Beltre gets $14 million this year, $15 million in 2012, $16 million in 2013, $17 million in 2014, $18 million in 2015 and $16 million in 2016. The Rangers can void the final season if Beltre fails to have either 1,200 plate appearances in 2014-15 combined or 600 in 2015.

If the sixth year is voided, it costs $80 mil, not $96.

Granted it's a lot of money either way, but this is a franchise that needs to prove that it is willing to spend the "big bucks" as it feels necessary. I don't want to see them become the Yankees and adopt the spend-whatever-it-takes-for-anybody-they-want philosophy, but after losing Lee "simply" because they failed to guarantee a seven year deal, and after hearing Nolan last week on the radio talking about how expensive getting top-tier free agents has become, this at least begins to establish them as legit players in the salary market, which helps in getting top players to want to come here. That has never happened before.

I think it's better to have more players wanting to come to your team than you want than the other way around. We still got a long way to go in that regard, but hopefully this is a start, and hopefully the front office is focused on results, not just flash.

Time will tell. But this is a truly new Rangers organization, a type we've never had before. Not some stupid let's pay A-Rod 18 bajillion dollars and let it go at that foolishness, but a group that really seems to be thinking baseball.

However, I still want Vlad back.

That, and better pitching. Always.

I said top players, not gifted jackwagons.

Jackwagon...? Cool :tup:cool:

I love that Geico commercial, too ^_^

Here's the URL. For some bizarre reason Organissimo won't allow embedded video, connections, whatever....who knows why. Click the forward arrow three times and in the bottom right corner you'll find the drill sargent clip:

http://www.geico.com/about/commercials/

Edited by GoodSpeak

Here's the URL. For some bizarre reason Organissimo won't allow embedded video, connections, whatever....who knows why. Click the forward arrow three times and in the bottom right corner you'll find the drill sargent clip:

Says you! :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhlWddAXSRA&feature=player_embedded

This is for JSngry, Big Al, and all Rangers' fans:

684290.jpg

You will need it, when, at the end of May, Adrian Beltre will be at .230 batting average, with 3 Home runs, and 15 RBIs. Bletre is notorious for his slow starts, but comes around when the team is out of contention. Look at the bright side, as a Mariner fan, I had to listen, ad nasuem, to Dave Niehaus & Milke Blowers assuring us that "Bletre is a gamer!" If you guys start to hear that from your announcers, run for the hills...

Edited by Matthew

Says you! :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhlWddAXSRA&feature=player_embedded

How'd you do that? :huh:

A Dodger Snuggie Night! April 3, 2011 Dodgers vs. Giants. Maybe the "power of the snuggie" will be with the Dodgers this year...

sleeve.jpg

I sure hope not ^_^

Look for this icon 161575114040532.jpg when you are posting, and want to add video. Click on it as you would the insert image icon.

I got that video from the Gieco site, I just right clicked on the video to get the link to video on youtube, to get the address...

Edited by BERIGAN

Bletre is notorious for his slow starts, but comes around when the team is out of contention.

So if he really sucks all year long, that means the Rangers win it all, right?

I'll make that deal! :g

Heh!

I was checking out his years in Seattle, and the last few years in particular, there wasn't much offense at all, so I think he will benefit playing in Texas for that reason alone...plus most of the years in Seattle they were a sub .500 team.

We tend to forgot 2009 was a walk year as well, but he was injured and put up terrible numbers...

Full Frontal Beltre Love on display here: http://www.lonestarball.com/2011/1/6/1917579/jeff-sullivan-on-adrian-beltre#storyjump

I was struck by this little tidbit:

...he once remained in the game and scored the winning run after tearing a testicle.

Adrian Beltre is, or at least on one day, was, a far, far better man than I could ever be. :g

684290.jpg

You will need it, when, at the end of May, Adrian Beltre will be at .230 batting average, with 3 Home runs, and 15 RBIs. Bletre is notorious for his slow starts, but comes around when the team is out of contention. Look at the bright side, as a Mariner fan, I had to listen, ad nasuem, to Dave Niehaus & Milke Blowers assuring us that "Bletre is a gamer!" If you guys start to hear that from your announcers, run for the hills...

I understand your hatred of Beltre on the basis that he was overpaid/underperformed in Seattle. But jeez it borders on the irrational. Texas isn't all that different from Fenway (in fact, it plays smaller to right-center which is Beltre's power zone) and I expect Beltre to flat out rake for the Rangers - at least for the first few years of his deal. He probably will be overpaid, possibly drastically overpaid, by the end of this contract but after 2011, you won't be able to say he's only had a couple of good years, and only in walk-years.

684290.jpg

I understand your hatred of Beltre on the basis that he was overpaid/underperformed in Seattle. But jeez it borders on the irrational.

Maybe Matthew should make up some t-shirts...

;)

684290.jpg

I understand your hatred of Beltre on the basis that he was overpaid/underperformed in Seattle. But jeez it borders on the irrational. Texas isn't all that different from Fenway (in fact, it plays smaller to right-center which is Beltre's power zone) and I expect Beltre to flat out rake for the Rangers - at least for the first few years of his deal. He probably will be overpaid, possibly drastically overpaid, by the end of this contract but after 2011, you won't be able to say he's only had a couple of good years, and only in walk-years.

Dan, you're much more sanguine about Beltre than I ever will be. I was lucky enough to be good friends with someone in LA who's been a Dodger season ticket holder since 1958, (second row, in back of the Dodger dugout), and sometimes he would bring me to the games. I witnessed some of the most unprofessional behavior by Beltre during his years with the Dodgers I'd ever want to see from a player. We'll see what 2011 brings, but Beltre is player I have absolutely no use for, I've watched him play too often to be any kind of fan.