Randy Weston: Destry Rides Again

B. Goren.

I have the LP. It's not as bad as Randy and others would have you believe. Randy's motives in dismissing it are primarily because it was an obvious commercial gesture foisted on him by the record company, on which he plays music from the Broadway show. Certainly not one of his more important records, but it does contain some listenable music, to say the least.

I have the LP. It's not as bad as Randy and others would have you believe. Randy's motives in dismissing it are primarily because it was an obvious commercial gesture foisted on him by the record company, on which he plays music from the Broadway show. Certainly not one of his more important records, but it does contain some listenable music, to say the least.

Thanks Stereojack.

One could only imagine the tripe that Randy Weston would have been asked to record if he had been on Dick Bock's World Pacific label, such as Bud Shank's A Spoonful of Jazz or Joe Pass' The Stones Jazz, both wretched ideas that should have never been recorded.

Agree about that godawful Lovin' Spoonful album, but sorry, Stones Jazz is one of the greatest albums ever made. I can only wish that there would have been some weird Randy Weston, say, Yardbirds album. I can imagine his version of "Happenings Ten Years Time Ago" or "Glimpses."

Stones Jazz is one of the greatest albums ever made.

Don't know that I'd go that far, but I was surprised that it was nowhere near as bad as I was expecting, and that it actually had some pretty decent stuff on it. The reharmonization of "19th Nervous Breakdown" was particularly appealing to me.

Stones Jazz is one of the greatest albums ever made.

Don't know that I'd go that far, but I was surprised that it was nowhere near as bad as I was expecting, and that it actually had some pretty decent stuff on it. The reharmonization of "19th Nervous Breakdown" was particularly appealing to me.

Agree. "Rock" albums by easy listening artists are so much more subversive than rock albums by rock artists.

It's at the bottom of the heap in my Weston collection and I haven't heard it in a long time. Like TtK, when I reach for a Randy Weston album it's not going to be this one. However since it's been a long time I will revisit it soon and report back. The album was a bargaining chip from the label and it wasn't what Randy wanted to do at the time so I can understand is feelings about the album.